Cannot see wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?YW5kaXJhZQ==?=

Cannot see wireless network
I have set up a wireless network using a flash drive. My XP desktop is
connected to the router. When I click on manage wireless networks it shows
up. However when I click on connect to a network it does not show up. It is a
WEP and is set to automatically connect as well as connect even if the
network is not broadcast.
Any suggestions on how to get the network to appear in the connect to a
network box.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Cannot see wireless network
Are you talking about XP or Vista? Assuming it is Vista, this troubleshooting may help,

Troubleshoot problems computers not appearing on Network Map
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"andirae" <andirae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsF5EE605-EDD1-4136-9E48-80A36952C650@microsoft.com...
I have set up a wireless network using a flash drive. My XP desktop is
connected to the router. When I click on manage wireless networks it shows
up. However when I click on connect to a network it does not show up. It is a
WEP and is set to automatically connect as well as connect even if the
network is not broadcast.
Any suggestions on how to get the network to appear in the connect to a
network box.

=?Utf-8?B?YW5kaXJhZQ==?=

Re: Cannot see wireless network
I am talking about Vista and I tried the solutions on your link and I am
still unable to see my network in the "select a network to connect to" It is
still present in the manage wireless network settings but for some reason
does not show up in the connect to a network tab. I tried to ping from my
Vista laptop to my XP desktop that is connected to the wireless router and I
am unable to get a ping. I can ping from the XP computer though. My ipconfig
settings for my XP desktop are:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrea Capiola>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : wildblue.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : wildblue.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network
Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-7A-9C-78
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 19, 2007 15:11:26
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 20, 2007 15:11:26

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrea Capiola>
This is the ipconfig from my Vista laptop
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Andrea>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Laptop-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Con
nection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-D2-2D-DC-97
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast
Ethernet
Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-B8-C4-23-A9
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{AC06EA4C-5FB8-4FB9-9B61-B48E76D4F
57F}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{27ED06AA-8437-490E-9412-CB46D93EA
464}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Users\Andrea>
I would really appreciate any help you could provide I have spent all day
trying to figure it out.

Andrea

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Are you talking about XP or Vista? Assuming it is Vista, this troubleshooting may help,
>
> Troubleshoot problems computers not appearing on Network Map
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "andirae" <andirae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsF5EE605-EDD1-4136-9E48-80A36952C650@microsoft.com...
> I have set up a wireless network using a flash drive. My XP desktop is
> connected to the router. When I click on manage wireless networks it shows
> up. However when I click on connect to a network it does not show up. It is a
> WEP and is set to automatically connect as well as connect even if the
> network is not broadcast.
> Any suggestions on how to get the network to appear in the connect to a
> network box

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Cannot see wireless network
So to make sure I'm understanding correctly.....

-Your network does not broadcast its SSID
-It uses WEP encryption and a key you've saved to a USB drive
-You added the network profile to the Vista machine, but don't see it in the
Connect To... screen.

I wouldn't expect that a non-broadcasting network would appear in Connect
To..., normally. After you've added the profile, though, it ought to. The
ipconfigs don't really tell us much -- they basically say that your laptop
isn't connected to the wireless network. When you say "I can ping from the
XP computer though", do you mean you can ping a host on the Internet, or you
can ping the Vista laptop? If the latter, that's very odd.

Try deleting the profile from Manage Wireless Networks, then in Connect
To... select "Set up a connection" > "Manually connect to a wireless
network" and enter the network information there.

"andirae" <andirae@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> [...]
>> troubleshooting may help,
>>
>> Troubleshoot problems computers not appearing on Network Map
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1
>>
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "andirae" <andirae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsF5EE605-EDD1-4136-9E48-80A36952C650@microsoft.com...
>> I have set up a wireless network using a flash drive. My XP desktop is
>> connected to the router. When I click on manage wireless networks it
>> shows
>> up. However when I click on connect to a network it does not show up.
>> It is a
>> WEP and is set to automatically connect as well as connect even if the
>> network is not broadcast.
>> Any suggestions on how to get the network to appear in the connect to a

Quint is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HELP! Vista can't connect to wireless network
I hope someone will read this, as the original post was entered more than a year ago. I have a desktop with XP, a laptop with XP, and a LinkSys Wireless-G router. I also have a brand new Compaq laptop w/ Vista Home Premium 64. The XP laptop connects wirelessly through the router with no problem and has done so for more than a year.

I went through the steps to set up wireless connection using a USB, and I cannot connect to my HOME wireless network. I spent four hours on this last night, turning everything off and on again, rebooting, removing the network from the Vista laptop and reinstalling, installing it manually, calling HP and spending an hour w/ "Albert" who was absolutely useless as he told me to repeat everything I had already done.

When I go to "Manage Wireless Networks," I can see my HOME network. When I go to "Select a Network to Connect To," I get a couple of other (unknown to me) networks, but NOT my HOME network. My HOME network is not in the list of networks that I can connect to, but I can see it is "out there" when I go to "Manage Wireless Networks."

I feel like this must be something very simple to fix, but I cannot figure it out. If you can help me, I would appreciate it more than you know. I don't have the time, skill or knowledge to deal with this anymore. And it kills me to think that I may have to pay someone to do this for me.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot see wireless network
If open Manage Network Connections, can you see the wireless? What's the
status? Or post the result of ipconfig /all may help.

--
"Quint" <Quint.3bmaog@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I hope someone will read this, as the original post was entered more
> than a year ago. I have a desktop with XP, a laptop with XP, and a
> LinkSys Wireless-G router. I also have a brand new Compaq laptop w/
> Vista Home Premium 64. The XP laptop connects wirelessly through the
> router with no problem and has done so for more than a year.
>
> I went through the steps to set up wireless connection using a USB, and
> I cannot connect to my HOME wireless network. I spent four hours on this
> last night, turning everything off and on again, rebooting, removing the
> network from the Vista laptop and reinstalling, installing it manually,
> calling HP and spending an hour w/ "Albert" who was absolutely useless
> as he told me to repeat everything I had already done.
>
> When I go to "Manage Wireless Networks," I can see my HOME network.
> When I go to "Select a Network to Connect To," I get a couple of other
> (unknown to me) networks, but NOT my HOME network. My HOME network is
> not in the list of networks that I can connect to, but I can see it is
> "out there" when I go to "Manage Wireless Networks."
>
> I feel like this must be something very simple to fix, but I cannot
> figure it out. If you can help me, I would appreciate it more than you
> know. I don't have the time, skill or knowledge to deal with this
> anymore. And it kills me to think that I may have to pay someone to do
> this for me.
>
> THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
>

> --
> Quint

Mick Murphy

Re: Cannot see wireless network
The best and easiest way is to set your Network up from within the router;
then turn wireless Broadcast on from within there!
Go to the router's website(if you don't have the CD software that came with
it), and get the info on how to do it!
You log into the router, using its IP Adress with a default username and
password; then set it all up!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Quint" wrote:

> I hope someone will read this, as the original post was entered more
> than a year ago. I have a desktop with XP, a laptop with XP, and a
> LinkSys Wireless-G router. I also have a brand new Compaq laptop w/
> Vista Home Premium 64. The XP laptop connects wirelessly through the
> router with no problem and has done so for more than a year.
>
> I went through the steps to set up wireless connection using a USB, and
> I cannot connect to my HOME wireless network. I spent four hours on this
> last night, turning everything off and on again, rebooting, removing the
> network from the Vista laptop and reinstalling, installing it manually,
> calling HP and spending an hour w/ "Albert" who was absolutely useless
> as he told me to repeat everything I had already done.
>
> When I go to "Manage Wireless Networks," I can see my HOME network.
> When I go to "Select a Network to Connect To," I get a couple of other
> (unknown to me) networks, but NOT my HOME network. My HOME network is
> not in the list of networks that I can connect to, but I can see it is
> "out there" when I go to "Manage Wireless Networks."
>
> I feel like this must be something very simple to fix, but I cannot
> figure it out. If you can help me, I would appreciate it more than you
> know. I don't have the time, skill or knowledge to deal with this
> anymore. And it kills me to think that I may have to pay someone to do
> this for me.
>
> THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
>

> --
> Quint

Quint is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I could SEE the wireless connection, and it looked like it was fine. (I'm not at home now so can't tell you exactly.) In any event, after spending another hour or so going through pages of potential repairs that I printed off the web, I called Lynksys tech support. We updated the software for my router and now IT IS WORKING.

Thank you for your replies! Much appreciated.