Vista working with some XP systems

Ryan Young

Vista working with some XP systems
I posted before and have some more information. The Vista laptop is now
talking to 2 out of 3 XP systems. On the Network screen in Vista where it
lists all 4 systems (including itself), the two XP systems that work show at
the bottom of the screen Category: Computer, Workgroup RMOFFICE, Network
Location: Home. The XP system that Vista will not talk to shows the same
category and workgroup, but does not show Network Location. Could this be
why I get "Windows cannot access \\DESKTOP"? I can access the other two XP
systems just fine. Internet is working all around. All computers are on
the same workgroup. XP systems talk just fine.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista working with some XP systems
Do all computers have the same username?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Ryan Young" <ryoung14@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OwdhdDWVHHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
I posted before and have some more information. The Vista laptop is now
talking to 2 out of 3 XP systems. On the Network screen in Vista where it
lists all 4 systems (including itself), the two XP systems that work show at
the bottom of the screen Category: Computer, Workgroup RMOFFICE, Network
Location: Home. The XP system that Vista will not talk to shows the same
category and workgroup, but does not show Network Location. Could this be
why I get "Windows cannot access \\DESKTOP"? I can access the other two XP
systems just fine. Internet is working all around. All computers are on
the same workgroup. XP systems talk just fine.

Ryan Young

Re: Vista working with some XP systems
No, unique usernames but same workgroup - i.e. DESKTOP, WORKSTATION, LAPTOP
workgroup is RMOFFICE

http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Ryan Young" <ryoung14@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I posted before and have some more information. The Vista laptop is now
talking to 2 out of 3 XP systems. On the Network screen in Vista where it
lists all 4 systems (including itself), the two XP systems that work show at
the bottom of the screen Category: Computer, Workgroup RMOFFICE, Network
Location: Home. The XP system that Vista will not talk to shows the same
category and workgroup, but does not show Network Location. Could this be
why I get "Windows cannot access \\DESKTOP"? I can access the other two XP
systems just fine. Internet is working all around. All computers are on
the same workgroup. XP systems talk just fine.

=?Utf-8?B?U2VuIFtNU0ZUXQ==?=

Re: Vista working with some XP systems
Ryan,
Your scenario reminds me of a similar issue few months back. Can you please
answer the following questions?
1. Are your 2 XP systems able to access the 3rd XP machine (DESKTOP) ?
(According to your original post, XP systems are able to access shares on
other XP machines but I would like you to double-check and confirm)
2. Can you please check if 'File & Printer Sharing' ports are open in
"Windows Firewall" on this ('DESKTOP') machine?
3. Do you have any 3rd party firewall or integrated firewall & anti-virus
software on 'DESKTOP'?
4. Can you try to access DESKTOP using its IP address? (If IP address is
192.168.1.10, try to access it as \\192.168.1.10)

Thanks,
Sen.