Joining Vista Ultimate to a Windows 2000 Domain

=?Utf-8?B?S3lsZQ==?=

Joining Vista Ultimate to a Windows 2000 Domain
Have you ran into something like this before?

I am tring to join a new Acer Aspire 5680 laptop running Vista Ultimate to a
Windows 2000 domain for one of my customers. Should be a piece of cake,
right? Not so much!!!

After reading a lot of messages posted on the web, I have disabled IPv6 on
the network adapter, but that is about it.

I have never had an issue adding a Win2K Pro or XP Pro PC to this same
domain.
Any advice is appreciated.

Error....

******************
Join a Domain or Workgroup

An Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain BRE-MAR.COM could not
be contacted.

Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.

If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information.

******************

Error details.....

-----------------

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller for domain BRE-MAR.COM:
The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.BRE-MAR.COM

The following AD DCs were identified by the query:

server.bre-mar.com

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the AD DCs to its IP addresses are
missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Active Directory Domain Controllers registered in DNS are not connected to
the network or are not running.

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

---------------
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Joining Vista Ultimate to a Windows 2000 Domain
Any error if using nslookup in the Vista?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Kyle" <Kyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74432C44-6977-49EC-85B0-47ED44A02031@microsoft.com...
[...]

Can you be more specific...as in how I should be using nslookup to test
things out. I used it a few times on the vista laptop with no issues, but I
may not have tried using it the way you have in mind.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Any error if using nslookup in the Vista?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Kyle" <Kyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74432C44-6977-49EC-85B0-47ED44A02031@microsoft.com...
> Have you ran into something like this before?
>
> I am tring to join a new Acer Aspire 5680 laptop running Vista Ultimate to a
> Windows 2000 domain for one of my customers. Should be a piece of cake,
> right? Not so much!!!
>
> After reading a lot of messages posted on the web, I have disabled IPv6 on
> the network adapter, but that is about it.
>
> I have never had an issue adding a Win2K Pro or XP Pro PC to this same
> domain.
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Error....
>
> ******************
> Join a Domain or Workgroup
>
> An Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain BRE-MAR.COM could not
> be contacted.
>
> Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.
>
> If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information.
>
> ******************
>
> Error details.....
>
> -----------------
>
> DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
> used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller for domain BRE-MAR.COM:
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.BRE-MAR.COM
>
> The following AD DCs were identified by the query:
>
> server.bre-mar.com
>
> Common causes of this error include:
>
> - Host (A) records that map the name of the AD DCs to its IP addresses are
> missing or contain incorrect addresses.
>
> - Active Directory Domain Controllers registered in DNS are not connected to
> the network or are not running.
>
> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Joining Vista Ultimate to a Windows 2000 Domain
Okay, let's step through the error message. It identifies
server.bre-mar.com as the DC for the domain -- is that correct? If not, why
is its DNS query giving wrong information? Is the DC also the DNS server,
or is the DNS for this domain delegated back to a DC?

If that is correct, why can't it resolve the address? Can you ping
server.bre-mar.com and get a response? Does that resolve to a particular IP
address?