Vista hp can't even ping XP

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZU8=?=

Vista hp can't even ping XP
I added a new OEM Vista Home Prem to my XP Home network ( linksys BEFSR81
router) and I cannot see or file share to the network from the Vista machine.
All XP machines can still share with each other and see the Internet. The
Vista machine can see the Internet, but not file share. I can print to the
Vista printer from the XP machines.

From the XP machines, I can CMD-> \\<ip> connect to all XP and Vista
machines. From the XP machines, I can CMD -> \\<name> connect to the XP
machines, but not Vista. From Vista, I cannot connect IP or name or ping any
XP machines. I want to file share.

I have read many messages here and have all the other IP's in the trusted
zones of the Symantic firewalls, all the Windows Firewalls off, have sharing
on all the network shareable drives, and the Vista sharing passwords off. I
have tried with disabled Firewalls, and with TC/IP6 on and off, all to no
avail. I had to load IPX/SPX/NetBEUI to my XP machines to file share with
this Linksys (even though TC/IP should have worked?), and that is not
available on Vista. I even tried to import the XP IPX/SPX protocal files and
manually add to Vista, but lacked digital signatures on the files.

Net Magic works, but Vista should work directly (others have it working).
This seems like a Firewall issue or router issue, but I am out of ideas.
Where should I focus?
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZU8=?=

RE: Vista hp can't even ping XP
Oh, and Workgroups are all set the same

"MikeO" wrote:

> I added a new OEM Vista Home Prem to my XP Home network ( linksys BEFSR81
> router) and I cannot see or file share to the network from the Vista machine.
> All XP machines can still share with each other and see the Internet. The
> Vista machine can see the Internet, but not file share. I can print to the
> Vista printer from the XP machines.
>
> From the XP machines, I can CMD-> \\<ip> connect to all XP and Vista
> machines. From the XP machines, I can CMD -> \\<name> connect to the XP
> machines, but not Vista. From Vista, I cannot connect IP or name or ping any
> XP machines. I want to file share.
>
> I have read many messages here and have all the other IP's in the trusted
> zones of the Symantic firewalls, all the Windows Firewalls off, have sharing
> on all the network shareable drives, and the Vista sharing passwords off. I
> have tried with disabled Firewalls, and with TC/IP6 on and off, all to no
> avail. I had to load IPX/SPX/NetBEUI to my XP machines to file share with
> this Linksys (even though TC/IP should have worked?), and that is not
> available on Vista. I even tried to import the XP IPX/SPX protocal files and
> manually add to Vista, but lacked digital signatures on the files.
>
> Net Magic works, but Vista should work directly (others have it working).
> This seems like a Firewall issue or router issue, but I am out of ideas.
> Where should I focus?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZU8=?=

RE: Vista hp can't even ping XP
Also LLTP protocal was added to all the XP machines ans workgroup is the same
actoss the network. Still no dice

"MikeO" wrote:

> I added a new OEM Vista Home Prem to my XP Home network ( linksys BEFSR81
> router) and I cannot see or file share to the network from the Vista machine.
> All XP machines can still share with each other and see the Internet. The
> Vista machine can see the Internet, but not file share. I can print to the
> Vista printer from the XP machines.
>
> From the XP machines, I can CMD-> \\<ip> connect to all XP and Vista
> machines. From the XP machines, I can CMD -> \\<name> connect to the XP
> machines, but not Vista. From Vista, I cannot connect IP or name or ping any
> XP machines. I want to file share.
>
> I have read many messages here and have all the other IP's in the trusted
> zones of the Symantic firewalls, all the Windows Firewalls off, have sharing
> on all the network shareable drives, and the Vista sharing passwords off. I
> have tried with disabled Firewalls, and with TC/IP6 on and off, all to no
> avail. I had to load IPX/SPX/NetBEUI to my XP machines to file share with
> this Linksys (even though TC/IP should have worked?), and that is not
> available on Vista. I even tried to import the XP IPX/SPX protocal files and
> manually add to Vista, but lacked digital signatures on the files.
>
> Net Magic works, but Vista should work directly (others have it working).
> This seems like a Firewall issue or router issue, but I am out of ideas.
> Where should I focus?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista hp can't even ping XP
Is it possible you are using NetBEUI for sharing? Posting the results of vista and xp ipconfig /all may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"MikeO" <MikeO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CE5EAC6-621E-4E64-904D-BDDFAAD2E16D@microsoft.com...
I added a new OEM Vista Home Prem to my XP Home network ( linksys BEFSR81
router) and I cannot see or file share to the network from the Vista machine.
All XP machines can still share with each other and see the Internet. The
Vista machine can see the Internet, but not file share. I can print to the
Vista printer from the XP machines.

From the XP machines, I can CMD-> \\<ip> connect to all XP and Vista
[...]

Well after a week of trying everything without luck, once I made a public
post and made no more changes, it started working. Inexplicably, I can now
\\<ip> and \\<name> my XP computers from the Vista machine. That tells me I
must be running netBEUI (required for\\<name>, I read) on the Vista machine,
although I am not aware of specifically enabling it.

I still don't have the network XP machines in the network map display, but
that is another lower priority issue that I have not been focusing on. I
will reread the posted solutions.

At least I can do data transfer now. Thanks for all the wisdom posted here.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Is it possible you are using NetBEUI for sharing? Posting the results of vista and xp ipconfig /all may help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "MikeO" <MikeO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CE5EAC6-621E-4E64-904D-BDDFAAD2E16D@microsoft.com...
> I added a new OEM Vista Home Prem to my XP Home network ( linksys BEFSR81
> router) and I cannot see or file share to the network from the Vista machine.
> All XP machines can still share with each other and see the Internet. The
> Vista machine can see the Internet, but not file share. I can print to the
> Vista printer from the XP machines.
>
> From the XP machines, I can CMD-> \\<ip> connect to all XP and Vista
> machines. From the XP machines, I can CMD -> \\<name> connect to the XP
> machines, but not Vista. From Vista, I cannot connect IP or name or ping any
> XP machines. I want to file share.
>
> I have read many messages here and have all the other IP's in the trusted
> zones of the Symantic firewalls, all the Windows Firewalls off, have sharing
> on all the network shareable drives, and the Vista sharing passwords off. I
> have tried with disabled Firewalls, and with TC/IP6 on and off, all to no
> avail. I had to load IPX/SPX/NetBEUI to my XP machines to file share with
> this Linksys (even though TC/IP should have worked?), and that is not
> available on Vista. I even tried to import the XP IPX/SPX protocal files and
> manually add to Vista, but lacked digital signatures on the files.
>
> Net Magic works, but Vista should work directly (others have it working).
> This seems like a Firewall issue or router issue, but I am out of ideas.
> Where should I focus?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista hp can't even ping XP
Can you access the internet from the Vista? Or can you post the result of ipconfig /all here.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"MikeO" <MikeO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:160EB99C-8C9C-44F9-B038-12C40A4BA478@microsoft.com...
Well after a week of trying everything without luck, once I made a public
post and made no more changes, it started working. Inexplicably, I can now
\\<ip> and \\<name> my XP computers from the Vista machine. That tells me I
must be running netBEUI (required for\\<name>, I read) on the Vista machine,
although I am not aware of specifically enabling it.

I still don't have the network XP machines in the network map display, but
that is another lower priority issue that I have not been focusing on. I
will reread the posted solutions.

At least I can do data transfer now. Thanks for all the wisdom posted here.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Is it possible you are using NetBEUI for sharing? Posting the results of vista and xp ipconfig /all may help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "MikeO" <MikeO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CE5EAC6-621E-4E64-904D-BDDFAAD2E16D@microsoft.com...
> I added a new OEM Vista Home Prem to my XP Home network ( linksys BEFSR81
> router) and I cannot see or file share to the network from the Vista machine.
> All XP machines can still share with each other and see the Internet. The
> Vista machine can see the Internet, but not file share. I can print to the
> Vista printer from the XP machines.
>
> From the XP machines, I can CMD-> \\<ip> connect to all XP and Vista
> machines. From the XP machines, I can CMD -> \\<name> connect to the XP
> machines, but not Vista. From Vista, I cannot connect IP or name or ping any
> XP machines. I want to file share.
>
> I have read many messages here and have all the other IP's in the trusted
> zones of the Symantic firewalls, all the Windows Firewalls off, have sharing
> on all the network shareable drives, and the Vista sharing passwords off. I
> have tried with disabled Firewalls, and with TC/IP6 on and off, all to no
> avail. I had to load IPX/SPX/NetBEUI to my XP machines to file share with
> this Linksys (even though TC/IP should have worked?), and that is not
> available on Vista. I even tried to import the XP IPX/SPX protocal files and
> manually add to Vista, but lacked digital signatures on the files.
>
> Net Magic works, but Vista should work directly (others have it working).
> This seems like a Firewall issue or router issue, but I am out of ideas.
> Where should I focus?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZU8=?=

Re: Vista hp can't even ping XP
Yes, I have always had internet connectivity since just pugging in the Vista
(OEM) installed (Sony) machine to my Linksys router. Sometime after putting
LLTD on my XP machines and configuring all machines' Firewall (Norton
versions) to specifically allow all network ip addresses, I was able to
connect via "run \\" for ip or name to all XP and Vista computers from all XP
and Vista computers.

I still don't see (never have) any XP machines in my Vista network map. I
have drives and files shared on all machines, the workgroups match, password
protection off on Vista, Network discovery on, etc.

I will post my Vista ipconfig /all, but not until this evening, as it is a
home network.

I appreciate your excellent responsiveness. Since I can open other computer
shared resources via run \\, I have been able to get critical files and set
up succcessful filesharing (XP machines can print to vista printer--XP
printing set up from XP run \\ to vista, clicking and installing printer).
The file map is now a nicety and not as critical. Thanks.

I have tried to read all the links and exhuast options before posting, as
there are endless repeats and similar issues. Unfortunately, there are so
many configuration differences and settings issues creating a lot of
permutations.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Can you access the internet from the Vista? Or can you post the result of ipconfig /all here.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "MikeO" <MikeO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:160EB99C-8C9C-44F9-B038-12C40A4BA478@microsoft.com...
> Well after a week of trying everything without luck, once I made a public
> post and made no more changes, it started working. Inexplicably, I can now
> \\<ip> and \\<name> my XP computers from the Vista machine. That tells me I
> must be running netBEUI (required for\\<name>, I read) on the Vista machine,
> although I am not aware of specifically enabling it.
>
> I still don't have the network XP machines in the network map display, but
> that is another lower priority issue that I have not been focusing on. I
> will reread the posted solutions.
>
> At least I can do data transfer now. Thanks for all the wisdom posted here.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Is it possible you are using NetBEUI for sharing? Posting the results of vista and xp ipconfig /all may help.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "MikeO" <MikeO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CE5EAC6-621E-4E64-904D-BDDFAAD2E16D@microsoft.com...
> > I added a new OEM Vista Home Prem to my XP Home network ( linksys BEFSR81
> > router) and I cannot see or file share to the network from the Vista machine.
> > All XP machines can still share with each other and see the Internet. The
> > Vista machine can see the Internet, but not file share. I can print to the
> > Vista printer from the XP machines.
> >
> > From the XP machines, I can CMD-> \\<ip> connect to all XP and Vista
> > machines. From the XP machines, I can CMD -> \\<name> connect to the XP
> > machines, but not Vista. From Vista, I cannot connect IP or name or ping any
> > XP machines. I want to file share.
> >
> > I have read many messages here and have all the other IP's in the trusted
> > zones of the Symantic firewalls, all the Windows Firewalls off, have sharing
> > on all the network shareable drives, and the Vista sharing passwords off. I
> > have tried with disabled Firewalls, and with TC/IP6 on and off, all to no
> > avail. I had to load IPX/SPX/NetBEUI to my XP machines to file share with
> > this Linksys (even though TC/IP should have worked?), and that is not
> > available on Vista. I even tried to import the XP IPX/SPX protocal files and
> > manually add to Vista, but lacked digital signatures on the files.
> >
> > Net Magic works, but Vista should work directly (others have it working).
> > This seems like a Firewall issue or router issue, but I am out of ideas.
> > Where should I focus?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZU8=?=

Solved: I'm not so smart
Ok, thanks for all the help. The last day I thought I didn'y have network
connectivity other than RUN \\ linkages, I actually did. Chalk this up the
stupid user category. Looking under the network map and looking to the main
links shows only my vista resources.

However, (duh- checked days ago before fixes but not recently) clicking on
the left show me my network connections shows/connects all my XP machines.

I should have figured this out earlier. My OEM came with NO documentation
on Vista, and I am still finding where all the functions are "hiding".

Thanks for all the help.