Internet sharing with XP and Vista mix.

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXN0b3BoZXJh?=

Internet sharing with XP and Vista mix.
I am trying to access the internet through my current setup with a new
laptop. My current setup is desktop pc connected via usb adsl modem to
internet with a 2nd desktop pc connected via crossover cable. These 2 PCs
have been getting along great, sharing files, printers and the internet
connection. Both are running windows XP.
The new laptop is running Windows Vista. I installed a wireless PCI adaptor
in the PC with the modem connection and after some fiddling was able to
connect the laptop to this pc...in a peer to peer adhoc network?. I'm still
learning here so bear with me.
I am able to see and share files from the laptop to the PC with the modem
and vice versa but have no idea how to access the internet.
Obviously what I would like..is to access the internet from all 3 machines.
I'm guessing that I've missed something really important, can someone please
help me out?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Internet sharing with XP and Vista mix.
I think you are talking about Internet Connection Share (ICS). This how to may help,

How to: Enabling ICS on Vista
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=353

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"christophera" <christophera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA001B15-BB6D-415E-9D31-4096C3F4B68B@microsoft.com...
[...]

Thanks for the reply...I've followed all of the advice given but am still
unable to get it to work. When I follow the instruction to allow the Host
computer to set the IP address automatically I then lose connectivity with
the PC with XP on it that has been working just fine. Plus I am still unable
to get the connection to the internet with the laptop (running Vista).

Number 1 computer (host) is running XP and is connected via USB to an ADSL
modem. Internet Sharing is turned on. The PCI ethernet adapter (wired) is
configured with an IP address of 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and no
DNS address. The PCI Wireless adapter is configured to allow automatic IP
address selection...this is the ONLY configuration which will allow the
laptop to connect to the host and vice versa..adding an IP address actually
disconnects and doesn't allow reconnection.

Number 2 computer (client) is running XP and is connected to the Host via
crossover cable from the ethernet adaptor. The adapter is configured to allow
automatic IP address selection. This connection works just fine and I am able
to share files/printers etc. as well as access the internet.

Number 3 computer (client) is a laptop running Vista and is connected to the
host via a wireless connection. The adapter is configured to allow automatic
IP address selection. The laptop can access files and printers on the Host
and vice versa but cannot access the internet.

I hope I've explained clearly enough...I'm pretty much at my wit's end here.
Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a router and start again.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> I think you are talking about Internet Connection Share (ICS). This how to may help,
>
> How to: Enabling ICS on Vista
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=353
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "christophera" <christophera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA001B15-BB6D-415E-9D31-4096C3F4B68B@microsoft.com...
> I am trying to access the internet through my current setup with a new
> laptop. My current setup is desktop pc connected via usb adsl modem to
> internet with a 2nd desktop pc connected via crossover cable. These 2 PCs
> have been getting along great, sharing files, printers and the internet
> connection. Both are running windows XP.
> The new laptop is running Windows Vista. I installed a wireless PCI adaptor
> in the PC with the modem connection and after some fiddling was able to
> connect the laptop to this pc...in a peer to peer adhoc network?. I'm still
> learning here so bear with me.
> I am able to see and share files from the laptop to the PC with the modem
> and vice versa but have no idea how to access the internet.
> Obviously what I would like..is to access the internet from all 3 machines.
> I'm guessing that I've missed something really important, can someone please
> help me out?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Internet sharing with XP and Vista mix.
In this case, it is better to have a router instead of ICS.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"christophera" <christophera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B762AC2E-5D74-46AB-80E7-6062BEBA189A@microsoft.com...
Thanks for the reply...I've followed all of the advice given but am still
unable to get it to work. When I follow the instruction to allow the Host
computer to set the IP address automatically I then lose connectivity with
the PC with XP on it that has been working just fine. Plus I am still unable
to get the connection to the internet with the laptop (running Vista).

Number 1 computer (host) is running XP and is connected via USB to an ADSL
modem. Internet Sharing is turned on. The PCI ethernet adapter (wired) is
configured with an IP address of 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and no
DNS address. The PCI Wireless adapter is configured to allow automatic IP
address selection...this is the ONLY configuration which will allow the
laptop to connect to the host and vice versa..adding an IP address actually
disconnects and doesn't allow reconnection.

Number 2 computer (client) is running XP and is connected to the Host via
crossover cable from the ethernet adaptor. The adapter is configured to allow
automatic IP address selection. This connection works just fine and I am able
to share files/printers etc. as well as access the internet.

Number 3 computer (client) is a laptop running Vista and is connected to the
host via a wireless connection. The adapter is configured to allow automatic
IP address selection. The laptop can access files and printers on the Host
and vice versa but cannot access the internet.

I hope I've explained clearly enough...I'm pretty much at my wit's end here.
Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a router and start again.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> I think you are talking about Internet Connection Share (ICS). This how to may help,
>
> How to: Enabling ICS on Vista
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=353
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "christophera" <christophera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA001B15-BB6D-415E-9D31-4096C3F4B68B@microsoft.com...
> I am trying to access the internet through my current setup with a new
> laptop. My current setup is desktop pc connected via usb adsl modem to
> internet with a 2nd desktop pc connected via crossover cable. These 2 PCs
> have been getting along great, sharing files, printers and the internet
> connection. Both are running windows XP.
> The new laptop is running Windows Vista. I installed a wireless PCI adaptor
> in the PC with the modem connection and after some fiddling was able to
> connect the laptop to this pc...in a peer to peer adhoc network?. I'm still
> learning here so bear with me.
> I am able to see and share files from the laptop to the PC with the modem
> and vice versa but have no idea how to access the internet.
> Obviously what I would like..is to access the internet from all 3 machines.
> I'm guessing that I've missed something really important, can someone please
> help me out?

=?Utf-8?B?U3VyeWEgUHJha2FzaA==?=

Re: Internet sharing with XP and Vista mix.
First machine: has eth adapter, wireless adapter and it is connected to adsl
modem through USB.
Second machine is connected to first using eth.
Bridge the wireless adapter and Ethernet adapter on first machine. you can
do this by opening NCF (run ncpa.cpl), select there two adapters and right
click and select "bridge connections".
Enable ICS on first machine (this will take bridg as private connection).
Now setup adhoc connection between wireless adapter of first machine and
laptop.

Wait for little time so that second machine and laptop renews the IP. second
machine, laptop should get the address 192.168.0.X.

With this setup all three machines will have internet access.

If you have wireless adapter on second machine then bridg eth and wireless
on second machine. setup adhoc on secon machine wireless and laptop. enable
ics on first. In this setup also all three machines will have internet access.

Thanks,
Surya