Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

intermittent internet connection

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
intermittent internet connection
I finally thought I solved all my network problems out and now I find that I
have intermittent internet connection on my Vista machine. Sometimes it
connects and sometimes I have to reboot or even shut down and then it works
again. Please help!!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
=?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBQ?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: intermittent internet connection
Same here. Just "upgraded" to Home Premium. Managed to get vista talking to
xp machines but like you every now and again my internet connection fails on
the vista machine. Diagnostics tells me it's an ISP problem but it isn't
because my other computers can still connect fine. This needs urgent
attention.
Andy

"GR" wrote:

>
>
> "Kevin" wrote:
>
> > I finally thought I solved all my network problems out and now I find that I
> > have intermittent internet connection on my Vista machine. Sometimes it
> > connects and sometimes I have to reboot or even shut down and then it works
> > again. Please help!!!

>
> You are not alone! I have experienced a similar scenario. I especially
> notice my Internet connection stopping after waking from sleep mode.
> Hibernation 9/10 works fine and no problem with Internet connection going
> away.
>
> This morning, I woke up, took the system out of sleep mode and sure enough,
> no Internet. After several reboots along with disabling the "firewall", the
> connection returned. I dunno.
>
> GR.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
Robert L [MVP - Networking]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: intermittent internet connection
Have you re-set the power management? These posts may help,

after hibernate it can't find my wireless network
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=331


Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Andy P" <Andy P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B374B603-4360-4F19-A40F-ED30B0764FB8@microsoft.com...
Same here. Just "upgraded" to Home Premium. Managed to get vista talking to
xp machines but like you every now and again my internet connection fails on
the vista machine. Diagnostics tells me it's an ISP problem but it isn't
because my other computers can still connect fine. This needs urgent
attention.
Andy

"GR" wrote:

>
>
> "Kevin" wrote:
>
> > I finally thought I solved all my network problems out and now I find that I
> > have intermittent internet connection on my Vista machine. Sometimes it
> > connects and sometimes I have to reboot or even shut down and then it works
> > again. Please help!!!

>
> You are not alone! I have experienced a similar scenario. I especially
> notice my Internet connection stopping after waking from sleep mode.
> Hibernation 9/10 works fine and no problem with Internet connection going
> away.
>
> This morning, I woke up, took the system out of sleep mode and sure enough,
> no Internet. After several reboots along with disabling the "firewall", the
> connection returned. I dunno.
>
> GR.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
=?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBQ?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: intermittent internet connection
Hi Robert,
Yes I have followed the advice given. I seem to be losing the IP address
during hibernation, but only after several minutes hibernating!.
Thanks for your support.
Andy

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Have you re-set the power management? These posts may help,
>
> after hibernate it can't find my wireless network
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=331
>
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Andy P" <Andy P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B374B603-4360-4F19-A40F-ED30B0764FB8@microsoft.com...
> Same here. Just "upgraded" to Home Premium. Managed to get vista talking to
> xp machines but like you every now and again my internet connection fails on
> the vista machine. Diagnostics tells me it's an ISP problem but it isn't
> because my other computers can still connect fine. This needs urgent
> attention.
> Andy
>
> "GR" wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > "Kevin" wrote:
> >
> > > I finally thought I solved all my network problems out and now I find that I
> > > have intermittent internet connection on my Vista machine. Sometimes it
> > > connects and sometimes I have to reboot or even shut down and then it works
> > > again. Please help!!!

> >
> > You are not alone! I have experienced a similar scenario. I especially
> > notice my Internet connection stopping after waking from sleep mode.
> > Hibernation 9/10 works fine and no problem with Internet connection going
> > away.
> >
> > This morning, I woke up, took the system out of sleep mode and sure enough,
> > no Internet. After several reboots along with disabling the "firewall", the
> > connection returned. I dunno.
> >
> > GR

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: intermittent internet connection
Yes, my computer never goes to sleep now, but the problem still exists. Now
it seems to either work on start up or not on my Vista machine. When I run
the diagnose the problem it says it can ping the remote server and the
problem is w/ a firewall (query server?)

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Have you re-set the power management? These posts may help,
>
> after hibernate it can't find my wireless network
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=331
>
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Andy P" <Andy P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B374B603-4360-4F19-A40F-ED30B0764FB8@microsoft.com...
> Same here. Just "upgraded" to Home Premium. Managed to get vista talking to
> xp machines but like you every now and again my internet connection fails on
> the vista machine. Diagnostics tells me it's an ISP problem but it isn't
> because my other computers can still connect fine. This needs urgent
> attention.
> Andy
>
> "GR" wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > "Kevin" wrote:
> >
> > > I finally thought I solved all my network problems out and now I find that I
> > > have intermittent internet connection on my Vista machine. Sometimes it
> > > connects and sometimes I have to reboot or even shut down and then it works
> > > again. Please help!!!

> >
> > You are not alone! I have experienced a similar scenario. I especially
> > notice my Internet connection stopping after waking from sleep mode.
> > Hibernation 9/10 works fine and no problem with Internet connection going
> > away.
> >
> > This morning, I woke up, took the system out of sleep mode and sure enough,
> > no Internet. After several reboots along with disabling the "firewall", the
> > connection returned. I dunno.
> >
> > GR

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2007
=?Utf-8?B?RkpQ?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: intermittent internet connection
I'm having a similar problem -- my network connection keeps going down about
every 10-30 minutes. Usually it’s down for only 10-20 seconds. If I look at
the LAN Connection status, it doesn’t notice the drop. However, my
applications (SSH, Outlook, IE, Trillian, network drive) lose the connection
(although not all of them lose the connection each time).

I'm running Vista Business on a Dell Dimension 4600 with an Intel Pro/100 VE
network adapter. I’ve tried updating my network drivers to the Vista version
and turning off IPV6, all the sharing/discovery stuff, power management
options, etc. I even tried using a totally different network card for a
little while, but that had the same problem.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2007
noorix
 

Posts: n/a
Re: intermittent internet connection
I have noticed a similar problem on my PC. Happened immediately after I
upgraded to Vista.
I am running Vista Business and accessing internet via Motorola Cable Modem.

Connection is apparently up, but apps stop responding. This can happen as
frequent as 10-30 minutes.

I have noticed in the system logs that "DHCP-Client started", everytime
connection breaks, although there is no evidence of the service crashing.

I usually have to restart cable modem to have the problem fixed.


"FJP" <FJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:30F8AD9D-D1D2-4362-9479-9FDC13133D4B@microsoft.com...
> I'm having a similar problem -- my network connection keeps going down
> about
> every 10-30 minutes. Usually it's down for only 10-20 seconds. If I look
> at
> the LAN Connection status, it doesn't notice the drop. However, my
> applications (SSH, Outlook, IE, Trillian, network drive) lose the
> connection
> (although not all of them lose the connection each time).
>
> I'm running Vista Business on a Dell Dimension 4600 with an Intel Pro/100
> VE
> network adapter. I've tried updating my network drivers to the Vista
> version
> and turning off IPV6, all the sharing/discovery stuff, power management
> options, etc. I even tried using a totally different network card for a
> little while, but that had the same problem.
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2007
blazzik
 

Posts: n/a
Re: intermittent internet connection

I'm working on a computer with the exact same issue. Vista x64 Ultimate
drops connection to trillian, streaming radio, etc. Tried disabling
IPv6, new drivers, 2 NICs. I'm dual booting XPx64 and Vistax64 and XP
works great with no network problems. Any found fixes to this issue?


--
blazzik
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2007
blazzik
 

Posts: n/a
Re: intermittent internet connection

Ever figure this out?


--
blazzik
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2007
=?Utf-8?B?QnJhY2lvc2F1cnVz?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: intermittent internet connection
In your case blazzik, just like me you have 2 network cards.

My Scenario...
Connection A = Internet
Connection B = Home Network

Everytime I boot my system, Internet doesn't work. The work around I found
was to disable connection B, give Vista enough time to detect the change and
to associate connection A as "Local and Internet". Once this is completed, I
re-enable connection B and everything is fine.

I've researched Windows and they have the same work around. I know it is
dissapointing. Always having to do this gets annoying. MS should work on a
way to do something like "bind" connection A (or whatever the connection you
are running your internet through) and set it to always be "Local and
Internet". This way it doesn't drop out anymore.

Hope people with this problem, vote for this fix...


"blazzik" wrote:

>
> Ever figure this out?
>
>
> --
> blazzik
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to share vista's internet connection =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gTGV3?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 01-10-2009 04:08
Internet Connection Speed =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IFc=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 04-15-2008 12:00
RE: intermittent internet connection =?Utf-8?B?R1I=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 02-20-2007 07:27
No internet connection on resume from sleep or hibernation =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWd3NDg=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 02-18-2007 02:32
VPN Can't use Internet Connection =?Utf-8?B?REI=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 01-24-2007 17:03




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:10.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120