Sharing Files between Vista Accounts- Same Computer

=?Utf-8?B?UnVtcHlCdW1weUx1bXB5?=

Sharing Files between Vista Accounts- Same Computer
I just got vista 3 days ago. Set accounts for all family members (4) and want
to share documents with my wife. I am the administrator and have access to
all settings. When I choose Share icon for any file, then set up sharing
options and then click Share... it takes about 4 minutes (whether it's a file
or complete folder) then says "Cannot share this File/Folder". I have tried
it Hundreds of times with many different files.
I spent a total of 5 hours online with my Dell Tech support agents. Long
story short, they say this is a "bug" in Vista. Is this true? Does anyone
else have this problem?
Because Vista came OEM on my Dell, Microsoft will not give me tech support
and Dell Tech Support cannot fix this problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Sharing Files between Vista Accounts- Same Computer
Did your copy data from other computers? You may need to take ownership over. This case study may help,

Administrator can't edit folder permissionsA: Assuming you logon as administrator and can't edit the permission, I would check the ownership first. To do that, right click on the file or folder. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/Security/ownership1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"RumpyBumpyLumpy" <RumpyBumpyLumpy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD55CA12-A926-444F-B1E5-36911EA1E5CC@microsoft.com...
I just got vista 3 days ago. Set accounts for all family members (4) and want
to share documents with my wife. I am the administrator and have access to
all settings. When I choose Share icon for any file, then set up sharing
options and then click Share... it takes about 4 minutes (whether it's a file
or complete folder) then says "Cannot share this File/Folder". I have tried
it Hundreds of times with many different files.
I spent a total of 5 hours online with my Dell Tech support agents. Long
story short, they say this is a "bug" in Vista. Is this true? Does anyone
else have this problem?
Because Vista came OEM on my Dell, Microsoft will not give me tech support
and Dell Tech Support cannot fix this problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
=?Utf-8?B?UnVtcHlCdW1weUx1bXB5?=

Re: Sharing Files between Vista Accounts- Same Computer
Thanks for the suggestion. I did check, and I am the owner as well as the
administator. I have also tried a "work around" solution...
I right click on the file or folder, then go to Security tab, then under
Group or User Names and click edit. Then look at which users are under Group
or User Name and Click the Add button. I type in my wife's user name and
Click OK, then back out of this Properties menu by clicking Ok two more
times.
The file then has the "Shared" icon in the lower corner. But when I go to my
wife's account it is no-where to be found. Also... when I go back in to
properties for that file and I click the "Shared" Tab the program hangs and
says "Not Responding" this happens 100% of the time.
I'm thinking there is something wrong with my copy of Vista (?)
Any more help and advice would be greatly apprecaited.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Did your copy data from other computers? You may need to take ownership over. This case study may help,
>
> Administrator can't edit folder permissionsA: Assuming you logon as administrator and can't edit the permission, I would check the ownership first. To do that, right click on the file or folder. ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/Security/ownership1.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "RumpyBumpyLumpy" <RumpyBumpyLumpy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD55CA12-A926-444F-B1E5-36911EA1E5CC@microsoft.com...
> I just got vista 3 days ago. Set accounts for all family members (4) and want
> to share documents with my wife. I am the administrator and have access to
> all settings. When I choose Share icon for any file, then set up sharing
> options and then click Share... it takes about 4 minutes (whether it's a file
> or complete folder) then says "Cannot share this File/Folder". I have tried
> it Hundreds of times with many different files.
> I spent a total of 5 hours online with my Dell Tech support agents. Long
> story short, they say this is a "bug" in Vista. Is this true? Does anyone
> else have this problem?
> Because Vista came OEM on my Dell, Microsoft will not give me tech support
> and Dell Tech Support cannot fix this problem.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Sharing Files between Vista Accounts- Same Computer
As for the creation of a network share (the Share option), I'm not sure why
it's failing. Is it possible you don't have a network connection?

What you are doing here is granting your wife *permissions* to access the
file. That doesn't make it show up on her account automatically (i.e.
granting her access to something in your Documents folder doesn't put it in
her Documents folder), but it does mean that she can now open the file. Try
creating a folder of files you want to share with her, grant both of you
full control of this folder, and drop a shortcut to the folder in her
Documents.

Or create a folder for the two of you in the Public Documents folder, edit
the permissions, and add Deny rules for your children.

"RumpyBumpyLumpy" <RumpyBumpyLumpy@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans
le message de news:3512E814-0495-4B4D-B9E1-60B89E4600E7@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the suggestion. I did check, and I am the owner as well as the
> administator. I have also tried a "work around" solution...
> I right click on the file or folder, then go to Security tab, then under
> Group or User Names and click edit. Then look at which users are under
> Group
> or User Name and Click the Add button. I type in my wife's user name and
> Click OK, then back out of this Properties menu by clicking Ok two more
> times.
> The file then has the "Shared" icon in the lower corner. But when I go to
> my
> wife's account it is no-where to be found. Also... when I go back in to
> properties for that file and I click the "Shared" Tab the program hangs
> and
> says "Not Responding" this happens 100% of the time.
> I'm thinking there is something wrong with my copy of Vista (?)
> Any more help and advice would be greatly apprecaited.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
>> Did your copy data from other computers? You may need to take ownership
>> over. This case study may help,
>>
>> Administrator can't edit folder permissionsA: Assuming you logon as
>> administrator and can't edit the permission, I would check the ownership
>> first. To do that, right click on the file or folder. ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/Security/ownership1.htm
>>

>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "RumpyBumpyLumpy" <RumpyBumpyLumpy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:AD55CA12-A926-444F-B1E5-36911EA1E5CC@microsoft.com...
>> I just got vista 3 days ago. Set accounts for all family members (4)
>> and want
>> to share documents with my wife. I am the administrator and have access
>> all settings. When I choose Share icon for any file, then set up
>> sharing
>> options and then click Share... it takes about 4 minutes (whether it's
>> a file
>> or complete folder) then says "Cannot share this File/Folder". I have
>> tried
>> it Hundreds of times with many different files.
>> I spent a total of 5 hours online with my Dell Tech support agents.
>> Long
>> story short, they say this is a "bug" in Vista. Is this true? Does
>> anyone
>> else have this problem?
>> Because Vista came OEM on my Dell, Microsoft will not give me tech
>> support
>> and Dell Tech Support cannot fix this problem.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?UnVtcHlCdW1weUx1bXB5?=

Re: Sharing Files between Vista Accounts- Same Computer
Your advice was good and offered some help.
I have been asking this question of every person at Dell, NOT ONE will
answer me...
Can you share files on your computer running Vista between users? This means
on the same machine, not over a network.
I am sharing on the same computer so I'm not sure what a network has to do
with it. I do have internet access (ADSL), but I'm not sharing anything to
other computers.
If you, or anyone out there can share files between users on the same
computer... WITHOUT using a work around (ie. you choose a file, click share,
and it works) Please let me know.

Thanks again for all the good suggestions.

"Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" wrote:

> [...]
> >> sharing
> >> options and then click Share... it takes about 4 minutes (whether it's
> >> a file
> >> or complete folder) then says "Cannot share this File/Folder". I have
> >> tried
> >> it Hundreds of times with many different files.
> >> I spent a total of 5 hours online with my Dell Tech support agents.
> >> Long
> >> story short, they say this is a "bug" in Vista. Is this true? Does
> >> anyone
> >> else have this problem?
> >> Because Vista came OEM on my Dell, Microsoft will not give me tech
> >> support
> >> and Dell Tech Support cannot fix this problem.
> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Sharing Files between Vista Accounts- Same Computer
Basically, the issue is that all the sharing wizards are talking about file
shares. Sharing a file with all other users of a computer is simple -- just
put it in Public Documents / Public Downloads / so on. Sharing a file with
only some users of the same computer requires editing the file's security
one way or another. There's a wizard for setting security on (network) file
shares, but in any other context you have to do it via Properties.

le message de news:A81733B2-3DE2-4614-9C07-7A7F3EFD11AF@microsoft.com...