Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa

M.LLOP

Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa
I have a lan with 3 xp computers shared and working correctly from always.
Now I installed another new computer with Vista Bussiness atached to that
lan. Problem is that Vista do not discover other computers on the lan and
that others do not see also the vista. But Vista can connect to Internet
without problems. I executed a ping from the command to another computer and
no problem.

I do not use user accounts for any.
Folder Sharing is activated
c: disk shared is activated
Name group is the same of other computers
IP family and masks are identical
(I tried temporaly to disconnect the firewell to test but no results)

What I am missing?

Thank you in advance.

matt.hunt@rouxbiz.com

Re: Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa
On Feb 7, 5:46 am, "M.LLOP" <mmss...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a lan with 3 xp computers shared and working correctly from always.
> Now I installed another new computer with Vista Bussiness atached to that
> lan. Problem is that Vista do not discover other computers on the lan and
> that others do not see also the vista. But Vista can connect to Internet
> without problems. I executed a ping from the command to another computer and
> no problem.
>
> I do not use user accounts for any.
> Folder Sharing is activated
> c: disk shared is activated
> Name group is the same of other computers
> IP family and masks are identical
> (I tried temporaly to disconnect the firewell to test but no results)
>
> What I am missing?
>
> Thank you in advance.

You are not alone. I am experiencing the exact same problem. I can
ping the server with the ip address but not the server name though. I
have also disconnected the firewall to see if that worked and it did
not. I tried a wired connection to the router as well as wireless.

woody

Re: Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa
Here are 2 links that should help:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...ta_fp.mspx#ELC

Run kb922120 on the XP machines and then change your Vista machine's
workgroup name to match that of the XP's.

Woody

"M.LLOP" <mmssftw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a lan with 3 xp computers shared and working correctly from always.
>Now I installed another new computer with Vista Bussiness atached to that
>lan. Problem is that Vista do not discover other computers on the lan and
>that others do not see also the vista. But Vista can connect to Internet
>without problems. I executed a ping from the command to another computer
>and no problem.
>
> I do not use user accounts for any.
> Folder Sharing is activated
> c: disk shared is activated
> Name group is the same of other computers
> IP family and masks are identical
> (I tried temporaly to disconnect the firewell to test but no results)
>
> What I am missing?
>
> Thank you in advance.

M.LLOP

Re: Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa
Thank you. I downloaded the file and executed into the XP. Also I checked
the workgroup name, all the same, amd read all other notes (and tested) from
the second link, but ... it continues do not discovering the computer one
to others. Regards.

"woody" <woody@woohoo.ca> escribió en el mensaje
> Here are 2 links that should help:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...ta_fp.mspx#ELC
>
> Run kb922120 on the XP machines and then change your Vista machine's
> workgroup name to match that of the XP's.
>
> Woody
>
> "M.LLOP" <mmssftw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a lan with 3 xp computers shared and working correctly from always.
>>Now I installed another new computer with Vista Bussiness atached to that
>>lan. Problem is that Vista do not discover other computers on the lan and
>>that others do not see also the vista. But Vista can connect to Internet
>>without problems. I executed a ping from the command to another computer
>>and no problem.
>>
>> I do not use user accounts for any.
>> Folder Sharing is activated
>> c: disk shared is activated
>> Name group is the same of other computers
>> IP family and masks are identical
>> (I tried temporaly to disconnect the firewell to test but no results)
>>
>> What I am missing?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.

woody

Re: Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa
Try turning off your firewall(s) (if you reactivated it/them, all networked
computers) and reboot vista machine. Open your network link again. Should
now be able to see other machines. Your router should protect you from
intrusions.

> Thank you. I downloaded the file and executed into the XP. Also I checked
> the workgroup name, all the same, amd read all other notes (and tested)
> from the second link, but ... it continues do not discovering the
> computer one to others. Regards.
>

> "woody" <woody@woohoo.ca> escribió en el mensaje
>> Here are 2 links that should help:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...ta_fp.mspx#ELC
>>
>> Run kb922120 on the XP machines and then change your Vista machine's
>> workgroup name to match that of the XP's.
>>
>> Woody
>>
>> "M.LLOP" <mmssftw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a lan with 3 xp computers shared and working correctly from
>>>always. Now I installed another new computer with Vista Bussiness atached
>>>to that lan. Problem is that Vista do not discover other computers on the
>>>lan and that others do not see also the vista. But Vista can connect to
>>>Internet without problems. I executed a ping from the command to another
>>>computer and no problem.
>>>
>>> I do not use user accounts for any.
>>> Folder Sharing is activated
>>> c: disk shared is activated
>>> Name group is the same of other computers
>>> IP family and masks are identical
>>> (I tried temporaly to disconnect the firewell to test but no results)
>>>
>>> What I am missing?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.

woody

Re: Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa
Also, make sure "Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver" and
"Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder" are enabled in your network
adapter properties, Network Discovery is on and File Sharing is on in the
Network and Sharing Center.

Woody

"M.LLOP" <mmssftw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you. I downloaded the file and executed into the XP. Also I checked
> the workgroup name, all the same, amd read all other notes (and tested)
> from the second link, but ... it continues do not discovering the
> computer one to others. Regards.
>

> "woody" <woody@woohoo.ca> escribió en el mensaje
>> Here are 2 links that should help:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...ta_fp.mspx#ELC
>>
>> Run kb922120 on the XP machines and then change your Vista machine's
>> workgroup name to match that of the XP's.
>>
>> Woody
>>
>> "M.LLOP" <mmssftw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a lan with 3 xp computers shared and working correctly from
>>>always. Now I installed another new computer with Vista Bussiness atached
>>>to that lan. Problem is that Vista do not discover other computers on the
>>>lan and that others do not see also the vista. But Vista can connect to
>>>Internet without problems. I executed a ping from the command to another
>>>computer and no problem.
>>>
>>> I do not use user accounts for any.
>>> Folder Sharing is activated
>>> c: disk shared is activated
>>> Name group is the same of other computers
>>> IP family and masks are identical
>>> (I tried temporaly to disconnect the firewell to test but no results)
>>>
>>> What I am missing?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.

JoeT

"woody" <woody@woohoo.ca> wrote in message
> Also, make sure "Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver" and
> "Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder" are enabled in your network
> adapter properties, Network Discovery is on and File Sharing is on in the
> Network and Sharing Center.

The only thing installed on XP when I ran that kb was the discovery driver.
No responder was installed by it on the xp nodes. Vista does however have
both. no firewalls active on any node. Obviously so many people with the
same issue can't be mere coincidence. lol

M.LLOP

Re: Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa
yes, tested, the two resources are enabled. Do not work. Thanks. Manuel

"woody" <woody@woohoo.ca> escribió en el mensaje
> Also, make sure "Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver" and
> "Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder" are enabled in your network
> adapter properties, Network Discovery is on and File Sharing is on in the
> Network and Sharing Center.
>
> Woody
>
> "M.LLOP" <mmssftw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you. I downloaded the file and executed into the XP. Also I checked
>> the workgroup name, all the same, amd read all other notes (and tested)
>> from the second link, but ... it continues do not discovering the
>> computer one to others. Regards.
>>

>> "woody" <woody@woohoo.ca> escribió en el mensaje
>>> Here are 2 links that should help:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...ta_fp.mspx#ELC
>>>
>>> Run kb922120 on the XP machines and then change your Vista machine's
>>> workgroup name to match that of the XP's.
>>>
>>> Woody

M.LLOP

Re: Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa
I discovered something, from vista I can access to other computers if a type
the address: 192.168.1.11, but not for names \\name computer. Also from XP
can do the same exactly but no with names.

Any idea?

Thank you

Manuel

"M.LLOP" <mmssftw@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> yes, tested, the two resources are enabled. Do not work. Thanks. Manuel
>

> "woody" <woody@woohoo.ca> escribió en el mensaje
>> Also, make sure "Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver" and
>> "Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder" are enabled in your network
>> adapter properties, Network Discovery is on and File Sharing is on in the
>> Network and Sharing Center.
>>
>> Woody
>>
>> "M.LLOP" <mmssftw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you. I downloaded the file and executed into the XP. Also I
>>> checked the workgroup name, all the same, amd read all other notes (and
>>> tested) from the second link, but ... it continues do not discovering
>>> the computer one to others. Regards.

thetruthhurts @homail.com

Re: Vista can't discover other machines xp and vice-versa
go into properties for local area connection>tcpip4
properties>advanced>wins>check enable netbios........do the same for
tcpip6