Can't get vista connect to internet

=?Utf-8?B?TWFqb3IgUElUQQ==?=

Can't get vista connect to internet
Just purchased a new e-machine from BB with vista preinstalled. Connected to
our small office network that uses a linksys WRT54G router to a dedicated T1.
Vista shows connection to internet but IE won't download anything (shows
connected to, then halts waiting for data from website.) We have tried
disabling the windows firewall, uninstalling the Mcafee software that was
preinstalled, pinging to the intranet and internet, which we can do. This is
using an Intel onboard NIC and as such there is no option to disable ipv4,
ipv6 or udp checksum options. I have also tried setting manual settings for
IP address and set the DNS server to the router address (192.168.0.1). No
change in symptoms. Linksys support (LOL) says the WRT54G is Vista certified
and offers no updates. e-machine support says the problem is with the
permissions in vista and is not their problem. Microsoft support wants money
before they will talk to us.
Looks like vista is not ready for primetime. I would probably be better off
Better yet, this heap is going back to BB.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Can't get vista connect to internet
Assuming you can ping the public IP, can you ping yahoo.com?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Major PITA" <Major PITA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C05A139F-535B-436D-836B-807585305CF3@microsoft.com...
[...]
=?Utf-8?B?amFzb24=?=

Re: Can't get vista connect to internet
a guy in another topic helped me out. go to your control panel, then to
device manager. expand the network devices catagory and then right click on
your network adapter. click propertied and then click on the advanced tab. go
down to TCP Checksum offload and disable them, both IPv4 and IPc6.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Can't get vista connect to internet
Thank you for feedback.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"jason" <jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A9447E1-ACBB-4B68-9847-B51DD9BD583C@microsoft.com...
a guy in another topic helped me out. go to your control panel, then to
device manager. expand the network devices catagory and then right click on
your network adapter. click propertied and then click on the advanced tab. go
down to TCP Checksum offload and disable them, both IPv4 and IPc6.
=?Utf-8?B?TWFqb3IgUElUQQ==?=

Re: Can't get vista connect to internet
As I indicated, the intel lan device driver does not have a checksum option
to disable. Also we are able to ping google.com as well as DNS server and
our corp website. When starting IE. It can connect to public websites but
hangs waiting for response. HTML data is apparently being blocked by Vista.
Other systems work through the router / firewall including win200, win xp,
linux, mac osx. Never had a problem until Vista. Disabled Vista firewall ,
etc. Never able to get it to work.

All this is moot anyway. We returned the system and plan to "roll our own"
box load it up with XP and wait for Vista SR2. I don't have the time to waste
beta testing microsoft Vista.

"jason" wrote:

> a guy in another topic helped me out. go to your control panel, then to
> device manager. expand the network devices catagory and then right click on
> your network adapter. click propertied and then click on the advanced tab. go
> down to TCP Checksum offload and disable them, both IPv4 and IPc6.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBUeWxlcg==?=

Re: Can't get vista connect to internet

> "jason" wrote:
>
> > a guy in another topic helped me out. go to your control panel, then to
> > device manager. expand the network devices catagory and then right click on
> > your network adapter. click propertied and then click on the advanced tab. go
> > down to TCP Checksum offload and disable them, both IPv4 and IPc6.

I have an issue getting to the network, and it is only on my Work LAN. I
have VISTA Business, I updated an HP Tablet PC, and everything went very
smoothly. At first I was able to connect via my NIC to the network, though I
did hear about others in my network having issues. We recently changed our
subnet to a class b 172.16.200.x schema so that we could VPN into our
customers networks for support and now all of a sudden I cannot connect. If I
monkey around with every setting then it may start working. One thing to
note, the little globe on the network icon in the task bar is shown but still
no internet.

However if I disable the NIC and use the built in WLAN card, I can get to
the WEB. Both the NIC and the WLAN use DHCP, and I have tried static, I have
disabled everything in properties that wouldn't be necessary, disabled the
ip4 checksum, but nothing.

We do have multiple switches, and also a another subnet that the gateway
goes through to get outside, a class c 192.168.0.x.

Now the tricky part, if I am connected to the NIC, then I am able to connect
to \\server01\xxx, however if I am on the WLAN I cannot, it comes back
unknown resource or something similar.

Any idea iof how I may trouble shoot further as it is getting rather
annoying, everywhere else I can connect fine, so I know it is something local
to my network but for the life of us we cannot figure out where to look.