Mapping a network drive

Diane K

Mapping a network drive
I have 2 systems with one on XPSP2 and one on Vista Ultimate. The Vista
drive is shared with permissions set to Full Control. On the XP machine, I
need to create a mapped drive to the Vista system, but when I go to Map
Network Drive, I see the Vista computer, but it won't let me choose a drive
letter or folder. None appear and the OK button is greyed out.

I can create a map from the Vista to the XP, but not the other way around.
What am I missing? I need to create the mapped drive so I can access my
accounting software....

Help!!!!

Thanks,
Diane

Nico Tomacelli [MSFT]

Re: Mapping a network drive
Hi Diane,

Based on what you've described below, I'm assuming that from the XP machine
you are using the browse button to get to the Vista machine? What happens
if you specify the vista machine and share in the Folder: box instead of
clicking browse? Are you able to connect to the share from the XP machine
by going Start - Run -\\<machinename>\<sharename>?

-Nico

----
Nico Tomacelli
Windows Core User Experience

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
"Diane K" <dkoers_nospam_@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have 2 systems with one on XPSP2 and one on Vista Ultimate. The Vista
>drive is shared with permissions set to Full Control. On the XP machine, I
>need to create a mapped drive to the Vista system, but when I go to Map
>Network Drive, I see the Vista computer, but it won't let me choose a drive
>letter or folder. None appear and the OK button is greyed out.
>
> I can create a map from the Vista to the XP, but not the other way around.
> What am I missing? I need to create the mapped drive so I can access my
> accounting software....
>
> Help!!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Diane

r2mike

Re: Mapping a network drive

Here is my issue...

With XP Pro I used to go to control panel and then admin tools, local
security settings, and adjust settings in there such as "user with no
passwords" and sharing "as local etc

Can't find that in Vista.

When I try to find the shared folder on my Vista machine looking from a
Windows XP pro pc I can't see it. This is with the same workgroup name.

When I put in \\name of pc\name of share\ it asks me for a user and
password

But if I am logged in as the same user and pass on both machines it
doesn't ask for user and pass..

Anyone ?

--
r2mike