internet connection problems

=?Utf-8?B?Ym92YTgw?=

internet connection problems
OK perhaps someone can help me with this. when at home on a comcast cable
connection connected through a link sys router everything works great. but
now that i am at school all is not so great. at first i thought it was
because i was behind a netgear router but i am using it as a switch. now
some webpages load but some do not or in some cases if the address is
forwarded it will not work. all this worked under windows xp but now does
not under vista

also i used outlook under xp and was able to get my outside mail which is
setup with pop access, but now under vista it will not connect. other
programs have the same problem not connected such as my avg virus software
and windows media center, can't connect for guide setup. so if someone could
please enlighten me i would appreciate it, i thought it was ipv6 but i
disabled that and still have the problem. i am confused. an example is if i
want to go to espn.com i simply can't type that, i have to type espn.go.com.
i have a xp laptop on the same network here at school and it works perfect,
just flaws with vista.

Re: internet connection problems
check your firewall settings my linksys router is in compable with vista
might have simular problems

"bova80" <bova80@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK perhaps someone can help me with this. when at home on a comcast
> cable
> connection connected through a link sys router everything works great.
> but
> now that i am at school all is not so great. at first i thought it was
> because i was behind a netgear router but i am using it as a switch. now
> some webpages load but some do not or in some cases if the address is
> forwarded it will not work. all this worked under windows xp but now does
> not under vista
>
> also i used outlook under xp and was able to get my outside mail which is
> setup with pop access, but now under vista it will not connect. other
> programs have the same problem not connected such as my avg virus software
> and windows media center, can't connect for guide setup. so if someone
> could
> please enlighten me i would appreciate it, i thought it was ipv6 but i
> disabled that and still have the problem. i am confused. an example is
> if i
> want to go to espn.com i simply can't type that, i have to type
> espn.go.com.
> i have a xp laptop on the same network here at school and it works
> perfect,
> just flaws with vista.

=?Utf-8?B?Ym92YTgw?=

Re: internet connection problems
checked the firewall, even disabled it and the vista firewall and still
having the same problem. its just odd that everything works fine on xp but
not on vista with the same exact settings. so its something in vista.

"Jeff_giampetro@hotmail.com" wrote:

> check your firewall settings my linksys router is in compable with vista
> might have simular problems
>
> "bova80" <bova80@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK perhaps someone can help me with this. when at home on a comcast
> > cable
> > connection connected through a link sys router everything works great.
> > but
> > now that i am at school all is not so great. at first i thought it was
> > because i was behind a netgear router but i am using it as a switch. now
> > some webpages load but some do not or in some cases if the address is
> > forwarded it will not work. all this worked under windows xp but now does
> > not under vista
> >
> > also i used outlook under xp and was able to get my outside mail which is
> > setup with pop access, but now under vista it will not connect. other
> > programs have the same problem not connected such as my avg virus software
> > and windows media center, can't connect for guide setup. so if someone
> > could
> > please enlighten me i would appreciate it, i thought it was ipv6 but i
> > disabled that and still have the problem. i am confused. an example is
> > if i
> > want to go to espn.com i simply can't type that, i have to type
> > espn.go.com.
> > i have a xp laptop on the same network here at school and it works
> > perfect,
> > just flaws with vista.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: internet connection problems
Do you have correct TCP/IP settings? Can you ping a public IP? Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help. Or check this step by step troubleshooting,

How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
[...]

yeah most websites work. i can even ping the ones that don't work and they
will reply.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Do you have correct TCP/IP settings? Can you ping a public IP? Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help. Or check this step by step troubleshooting,
>
> How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "bova80" <bova80@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61AF810C-7F90-4CE6-8F49-A96630FE47A4@microsoft.com...
> OK perhaps someone can help me with this. when at home on a comcast cable
> connection connected through a link sys router everything works great. but
> now that i am at school all is not so great. at first i thought it was
> because i was behind a netgear router but i am using it as a switch. now
> some webpages load but some do not or in some cases if the address is
> forwarded it will not work. all this worked under windows xp but now does
> not under vista
>
> also i used outlook under xp and was able to get my outside mail which is
> setup with pop access, but now under vista it will not connect. other
> programs have the same problem not connected such as my avg virus software
> and windows media center, can't connect for guide setup. so if someone could
> please enlighten me i would appreciate it, i thought it was ipv6 but i
> disabled that and still have the problem. i am confused. an example is if i
> want to go to espn.com i simply can't type that, i have to type espn.go.com.
> i have a xp laptop on the same network here at school and it works perfect,
> just flaws with vista

=?Utf-8?B?Ym92YTgw?=

Re: internet connection problems
well i finally found a solution that worked. you have to go into start menu,
programs, accessories, right click command prompt and run as administrator
and then type this command

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

and it fixed all my problems without a restart.

"bova80" wrote:

> yeah most websites work. i can even ping the ones that don't work and they
> will reply.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Do you have correct TCP/IP settings? Can you ping a public IP? Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help. Or check this step by step troubleshooting,
> >
> > How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
> > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm
> >

> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "bova80" <bova80@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61AF810C-7F90-4CE6-8F49-A96630FE47A4@microsoft.com...
> > OK perhaps someone can help me with this. when at home on a comcast cable
> > connection connected through a link sys router everything works great. but
> > now that i am at school all is not so great. at first i thought it was
> > because i was behind a netgear router but i am using it as a switch. now
> > some webpages load but some do not or in some cases if the address is
> > forwarded it will not work. all this worked under windows xp but now does
> > not under vista
> >
> > also i used outlook under xp and was able to get my outside mail which is
> > setup with pop access, but now under vista it will not connect. other
> > programs have the same problem not connected such as my avg virus software
> > and windows media center, can't connect for guide setup. so if someone could
> > please enlighten me i would appreciate it, i thought it was ipv6 but i
> > disabled that and still have the problem. i am confused. an example is if i
> > want to go to espn.com i simply can't type that, i have to type espn.go.com.
> > i have a xp laptop on the same network here at school and it works perfect,
> > just flaws with vista

Bill

Re: internet connection problems
Thanks very much bova80....this also solved my problems on two Vista
Ultimate machines! If you Google the command, you'll find information about
what it is, what it's supposed to do as well as the command to enable it
should the disable command not work. Microsoft calls it, "Receive Window
Auto-Tuning". The command to enable it is:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

To view the states of the TCP global parameters, you can use this command:

netsh interface tcp show global

Hope this helps others as much as it helped me!

Bill