Cannot Obtain IP - Windows Vista

=?Utf-8?B?UmVkIERlZXIgVGVjaHk=?=

Cannot Obtain IP - Windows Vista
I have my Windows Vista business connected to my network at work. I am unable
to get an IP other than 169.XXX.... I thought at first it maybe was a NIC or
Hardware problem, so I tried installing VISTA on two seperate PC's that use
diifferent NICS. XP works correctly on my network

When I connect vista to a cable modem it works fine.

From what I have read so far, I believe it is a problem with one of the
routers on my network backbone. I have read that Windows Vista runs TCP/IP
differently than XP. Am I right in guessing this.

If I am right I am....How do I fix this. I don't believe I should have to
change my backbone in order to install VISTA

I have run a packet sniffer and I can see the discovery, the offer, the
request and the ack, but vista never gets the IP. HELP

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Cannot Obtain IP - Windows Vista
Err.... tcp/ip is tcp/ip if standards are followed.

My bet is that you didnt remove the tick from IPv6 and it is stuffing you
up.

"Red Deer Techy" <RedDeerTechy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have my Windows Vista business connected to my network at work. I am
>unable
> to get an IP other than 169.XXX.... I thought at first it maybe was a NIC
> or
> Hardware problem, so I tried installing VISTA on two seperate PC's that
> use
> diifferent NICS. XP works correctly on my network
>
> When I connect vista to a cable modem it works fine.
>
> From what I have read so far, I believe it is a problem with one of the
> routers on my network backbone. I have read that Windows Vista runs TCP/IP
> differently than XP. Am I right in guessing this.
>
> If I am right I am....How do I fix this. I don't believe I should have to
> change my backbone in order to install VISTA
>
> I have run a packet sniffer and I can see the discovery, the offer, the
> request and the ack, but vista never gets the IP. HELP

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Cannot Obtain IP - Windows Vista
You'll need to be more specific.

In the office, I have several Vista workstations that get their IP
configuration via DHCP. The DHCP server is "centralized" and is in a
different subnet - there are three routers between the Vista workstations
and the DHCP server (the local one plus two others in the path). I think
all of the routers are Cisco, but I don't know what model etc. (someone else
looks after the WAN). There were no changes made to the "backbone" to
"support Vista".

This all worked "out of the box" - no special action was required on the
Vista computers (no need to disable IPv6 as someone suggested).

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/

"Red Deer Techy" <RedDeerTechy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have my Windows Vista business connected to my network at work. I am
>unable
> to get an IP other than 169.XXX.... I thought at first it maybe was a NIC
> or
> Hardware problem, so I tried installing VISTA on two seperate PC's that
> use
> diifferent NICS. XP works correctly on my network
>
> When I connect vista to a cable modem it works fine.
>
> From what I have read so far, I believe it is a problem with one of the
> routers on my network backbone. I have read that Windows Vista runs TCP/IP
> differently than XP. Am I right in guessing this.
>
> If I am right I am....How do I fix this. I don't believe I should have to
> change my backbone in order to install VISTA
>
> I have run a packet sniffer and I can see the discovery, the offer, the
> request and the ack, but vista never gets the IP. HELP

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Cannot Obtain IP - Windows Vista
if you setup static IP, can you access ping DHCP or other servers?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Red Deer Techy" <RedDeerTechy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D1C699E-2F23-4BA1-A67A-FB12D0911F89@microsoft.com...
I have my Windows Vista business connected to my network at work. I am unable
to get an IP other than 169.XXX.... I thought at first it maybe was a NIC or
Hardware problem, so I tried installing VISTA on two seperate PC's that use
diifferent NICS. XP works correctly on my network

When I connect vista to a cable modem it works fine.

From what I have read so far, I believe it is a problem with one of the
routers on my network backbone. I have read that Windows Vista runs TCP/IP
differently than XP. Am I right in guessing this.

If I am right I am....How do I fix this. I don't believe I should have to
change my backbone in order to install VISTA

I have run a packet sniffer and I can see the discovery, the offer, the
request and the ack, but vista never gets the IP. HELP

=?Utf-8?B?UmVkIERlZXIgVGVjaHk=?=

Re: Cannot Obtain IP - Windows Vista
From my vista box, I connect to a nortel switch (not sure of model). I then
go via fibre over a vlan to another building and connect to another nortel
switch. From there I connect to a Novell Zenworks DHCP server. I can see from
the DHCP server that it is discovering the PC, and the handshakes are going
well, and i even see and ACK when I run a packet sniffer, but the PC never
gets an IP. All I get in my event log is and error that "The object already
exsists".

"Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

> You'll need to be more specific.
>
> In the office, I have several Vista workstations that get their IP
> configuration via DHCP. The DHCP server is "centralized" and is in a
> different subnet - there are three routers between the Vista workstations
> and the DHCP server (the local one plus two others in the path). I think
> all of the routers are Cisco, but I don't know what model etc. (someone else
> looks after the WAN). There were no changes made to the "backbone" to
> "support Vista".
>
> This all worked "out of the box" - no special action was required on the
> Vista computers (no need to disable IPv6 as someone suggested).
>

> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/
> It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "Red Deer Techy" <RedDeerTechy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have my Windows Vista business connected to my network at work. I am
> >unable
> > to get an IP other than 169.XXX.... I thought at first it maybe was a NIC
> > or
> > Hardware problem, so I tried installing VISTA on two seperate PC's that
> > use
> > diifferent NICS. XP works correctly on my network
> >
> > When I connect vista to a cable modem it works fine.
> >
> > From what I have read so far, I believe it is a problem with one of the
> > routers on my network backbone. I have read that Windows Vista runs TCP/IP
> > differently than XP. Am I right in guessing this.
> >
> > If I am right I am....How do I fix this. I don't believe I should have to
> > change my backbone in order to install VISTA
> >
> > I have run a packet sniffer and I can see the discovery, the offer, the
> > request and the ack, but vista never gets the IP. HELP

David A. Lessnau

Re: Cannot Obtain IP - Windows Vista
You've probably already tried this, but I'd go to a command prompt and do an
IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then reboot the machine. Hopefully, when it came up
it would get the new address.

news8F4D159-1D7D-47C8-8F02-D03A2FECC235@microsoft.com...