Need help with Remote Desktop / Vista...

frankmcma

Need help with Remote Desktop / Vista...

On my office machine I have Windows Vista Ultimate, on my laptop I have
Windows XP Home (on the laptop I have downloaded the most recent Desktop
Connection Program)

If I am within my wireless network, i can input my computer and password
into my laptop and remote desktop works great on my laptop, Vista screen
pops right up on my laptop. However when I am at a coffee shop and try to
dial in to my office computer, it does not work. I tried computer name, my
computers IP address, etc...nothing worked.

Any ideas? I want to log in remotely to vista at my office from my XP
laptop. Any settings I am missing?

Thanks!

Frank

Kerry Brown

Re: Need help with Remote Desktop / Vista...
It sounds like your router is blocking rdp. This is normal. You have to
forward port 3389 from your router to the office computer. Here's some
links. They are about XP but the setup is very close with Vista. The
principles are the same.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_connect...om_work.ht ml

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"frankmcma" <frank@fmstudio.com> wrote in message

> On my office machine I have Windows Vista Ultimate, on my laptop I have
> Windows XP Home (on the laptop I have downloaded the most recent Desktop
> Connection Program)
>
> If I am within my wireless network, i can input my computer and password
> into my laptop and remote desktop works great on my laptop, Vista screen
> pops right up on my laptop. However when I am at a coffee shop and try to
> dial in to my office computer, it does not work. I tried computer name, my
> computers IP address, etc...nothing worked.
>
> Any ideas? I want to log in remotely to vista at my office from my XP
> laptop. Any settings I am missing?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Frank

frankmcma

Re: Need help with Remote Desktop / Vista...

Lots of good info and I found a site on there:
http://www.portforward.com/default.htm Which has one solution which involves
about 25 steps and creating a static IP and etc..etc...

I have to say..if I am a business user who just purchased Windows Vista and
wants to use Remote Desktop..should I need to be an IT guy and spend time
researching info on this and reprogramming my system(s) for a half hour?

Honestly...I thought it would be a bit easier than this. It worked fine with
XP Pro

Any other solutions out there?

Frank

> It sounds like your router is blocking rdp. This is normal. You have to
> forward port 3389 from your router to the office computer. Here's some
> links. They are about XP but the setup is very close with Vista. The
> principles are the same.
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
>
> http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_connect...om_work.ht ml
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "frankmcma" <frank@fmstudio.com> wrote in message
>>
>> On my office machine I have Windows Vista Ultimate, on my laptop I have
>> Windows XP Home (on the laptop I have downloaded the most recent Desktop
>> Connection Program)
>>
>> If I am within my wireless network, i can input my computer and password
>> into my laptop and remote desktop works great on my laptop, Vista screen
>> pops right up on my laptop. However when I am at a coffee shop and try to
>> dial in to my office computer, it does not work. I tried computer name,
>> my computers IP address, etc...nothing worked.
>>
>> Any ideas? I want to log in remotely to vista at my office from my XP
>> laptop. Any settings I am missing?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Frank

infoaliasgar is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need help with Remote Desktop / Vista...
You can try using various remote support services such as logmeinrescue.com, gosupportnow.com etc. in order to remotely access your office computer from your laptop.