Unable to Connect MacBook to my Vista Desktop Printer

=?Utf-8?B?TG9ibw==?=

Unable to Connect MacBook to my Vista Desktop Printer
I'm having a lot of fun with my Vista upgrade and I've gotten everything
working
except getting my MacBook to print on the network printer. I've checked
every setting I
can find and think of but no luck. I am able to connect to the network
printer from another
XP computer. From the Mac I can access the public folder on the Vista
machine and I can see
the other drives on the Vista machine but unable to acces those drives. I'm
thinking there is
a setting that I'm missing that allows "Non-windows machines" to access all
shared items on the Vista machine... I can access the folders on the MacBook
from the Vista machine just fine. So once again my
problem is that I can see all the drives on the Vista machine from the Mac
but am able to access and read
only the public folder on the Vista machine.... Thanks in advance.....
=?Utf-8?B?ZmFpcm1lYWRvdw==?=

RE: Unable to Connect MacBook to my Vista Desktop Printer
Hi Lobo. It appears then that I am not alone. I have exactly the same
problems. The version of Vista that I have is Home Premium.

Furthermore I have another, similar, problem. I also have a printer
attached to an Apple Airport Express, which is (via router and hub) attached
through Ethernet to the Vista PC. But even when I give Vista the exact IP
address of this printer it cannot see it!

Can anyone out there help?

"Lobo" wrote:

> I'm having a lot of fun with my Vista upgrade and I've gotten everything
> working
> except getting my MacBook to print on the network printer. I've checked
> every setting I
> can find and think of but no luck. I am able to connect to the network
> printer from another
> XP computer. From the Mac I can access the public folder on the Vista
> machine and I can see
> the other drives on the Vista machine but unable to acces those drives. I'm
> thinking there is
> a setting that I'm missing that allows "Non-windows machines" to access all
> shared items on the Vista machine... I can access the folders on the MacBook
> from the Vista machine just fine. So once again my
> problem is that I can see all the drives on the Vista machine from the Mac
> but am able to access and read
> only the public folder on the Vista machine.... Thanks in advance.....

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Unable to Connect MacBook to my Vista Desktop Printer
This is probably another manifestation of the NTLM / NTLMv2 issue between
Samba and Vista. NTLMv2 is supported in Samba 3.0.22 and later; you'll need
to add "ntlmv2 auth = yes" to your smb.conf file.

If you aren't able to upgrade your copy of Samba, you can also turn down the
security level on Vista, though this isn't recommended, obviously. Open
regedit and change
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel
from 0x3 to 0x1.

newsE28A55D-5A22-43F9-BA98-9AD0AB2CD7CE@microsoft.com...