Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go
I had a network setup with two pc's running xp. I swapped one of them out
for a vista home premium pc and now i have no network. I run the wizard from
the xp machine and put the netsetup.exe on a flash drive and place it in the
vista pc. I run the exe file but it fails at the end of the setup. I see
the vista machine in the work group when i check it from the xp pc but i see
nothing in the vista machine when i go to it's work group. I can't file or
printer share like before with two xp machines. Help me before i break this
thing.
=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IFc=?=

RE: Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go
I have a small network running where one machine is Vista and the rest are XP
and it functions correctly, its Vista HP aswell.

First thing to do is makesure all machines are using the same workgroup or
sharing will not be possible. Vista sets the workgroup to WORKGROUP unlike XP
which sets it to MSHOME. Makesure both machines have the same workgroup ID,
check in System Properties -> Computer Name, if you need to update one hit
the CHANGE button, a system reset will be required for the change to take
effect.

In Vista the Public Folder needs to be set to enable sharing, Public Folder
is the XP equivalent of Shared Documents on XP. If you have a printer
installed you will need to enable this sharing as well, all this is done from
the Network and Sharing Center, you also need to decide whether to have
password sharing on or off.

I hope this helps.
--
Robert W

"George" wrote:

> I had a network setup with two pc's running xp. I swapped one of them out
> for a vista home premium pc and now i have no network. I run the wizard from
> the xp machine and put the netsetup.exe on a flash drive and place it in the
> vista pc. I run the exe file but it fails at the end of the setup. I see
> the vista machine in the work group when i check it from the xp pc but i see
> nothing in the vista machine when i go to it's work group. I can't file or
> printer share like before with two xp machines. Help me before i break this
> thing.

=?Utf-8?B?c2NhcnNvbg==?=

RE: Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go
Download and install the LLTD Responder on the XP computer and then you can
see it in the Vista network map. Now can you help me? I have network setup
but I can not access the shared printer on the Vista computer HELP!!!!!!!!

"George" wrote:

> I had a network setup with two pc's running xp. I swapped one of them out
> for a vista home premium pc and now i have no network. I run the wizard from
> the xp machine and put the netsetup.exe on a flash drive and place it in the
> vista pc. I run the exe file but it fails at the end of the setup. I see
> the vista machine in the work group when i check it from the xp pc but i see
> nothing in the vista machine when i go to it's work group. I can't file or
> printer share like before with two xp machines. Help me before i break this
> thing.

=?Utf-8?B?Q0xBTUJFUlQ2?=

RE: Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go
I had the same problem. My PC came with Nortons free trial, it also has
Nortons firewall installed. I had to turn off Nortons firewall and turn on
windows firewall before I could get my network to show up and work correctly.
Windows firewall setup automatically configures for the networking. Hope this
helps!

"George" wrote:

> I had a network setup with two pc's running xp. I swapped one of them out
> for a vista home premium pc and now i have no network. I run the wizard from
> the xp machine and put the netsetup.exe on a flash drive and place it in the
> vista pc. I run the exe file but it fails at the end of the setup. I see
> the vista machine in the work group when i check it from the xp pc but i see
> nothing in the vista machine when i go to it's work group. I can't file or
> printer share like before with two xp machines. Help me before i break this
> thing.

t0hierry

RE: Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go
Hi Robert,

I have va similar problem trying to network an xp and a vista. When I run
netsetup.exe on the vista HB, the program returns an error. I checked the
group names, they match. Any help would be appreciated. thx!
--
t0hierry