Netbeui

Dan S

Netbeui
I have a client with a workgroup and they have many wk2 and XP systems.
There is a win98 machine that acts as a printer server that has a canon
parallel printer attached to it.

These systems use Netbeui to connect.

Can I install XP netbeui on Vista Basic?

There is no driver yet for the canon as well so can I use the XP driver?

Dan

Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: Netbeui
Hello Dan,

NetBEUI has mostly been replaced by TCP/IP. Support for NetBEUI was
discontinued in Windows XP. You can use TCP/IP of which are installed by
default in Windows XP and Windows Vista.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

"Dan S" <djsigal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a client with a workgroup and they have many wk2 and XP systems.
>There is a win98 machine that acts as a printer server that has a canon
>parallel printer attached to it.
>
> These systems use Netbeui to connect.
>
> Can I install XP netbeui on Vista Basic?
>
> There is no driver yet for the canon as well so can I use the XP driver?
>
> Dan

Al Dykes

Re: Netbeui
In article <uCwHg$SSHHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
Dan S <djsigal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a client with a workgroup and they have many wk2 and XP systems.
>There is a win98 machine that acts as a printer server that has a canon
>parallel printer attached to it.
>
>These systems use Netbeui to connect.
>
>Can I install XP netbeui on Vista Basic?
>
>There is no driver yet for the canon as well so can I use the XP driver?
>
>Dan

Get a modern print server gadget for as little as 50 bucks. It will
probably pay for itself in electric bills compared to an old PC, not
to mention the grief if/when the W98 machine dies.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
Dan S

Re: Netbeui
Thanks but question not answered.

Can I install XP netbeui on a new Vista basic OS system?

Putting a print server on a network may not always work as one needs to have
a Vista printer driver as well.

Dan

> In article <uCwHg$SSHHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> Dan S <djsigal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>I have a client with a workgroup and they have many wk2 and XP systems.
>>There is a win98 machine that acts as a printer server that has a canon
>>parallel printer attached to it.
>>
>>These systems use Netbeui to connect.
>>
>>Can I install XP netbeui on Vista Basic?
>>
>>There is no driver yet for the canon as well so can I use the XP driver?
>>
>>Dan
>>

> Get a modern print server gadget for as little as 50 bucks. It will
> probably pay for itself in electric bills compared to an old PC, not
> to mention the grief if/when the W98 machine dies.
>
> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001

AJR

Re: Netbeui
There is "Netbeui" no such thing as "XP Netbeui". It was included with XP
only to provide backward network compatibility between XP and "older"
Windows versions.
As Eric stated - TCP/IP now performs the network functions - Vista does not
support Netbeui.

"Dan S" <djsigal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a client with a workgroup and they have many wk2 and XP systems.
>There is a win98 machine that acts as a printer server that has a canon
>parallel printer attached to it.
>
> These systems use Netbeui to connect.
>
> Can I install XP netbeui on Vista Basic?
>
> There is no driver yet for the canon as well so can I use the XP driver?
>
> Dan

=?Utf-8?B?U3VzYW4=?=

Re: Netbeui
I cannot get Vista basic to print to the windows 98 machine that has the
Canon printer attached to it via parallel cable.

Since netbeui cannot be installed as a protocol in Vista, and this is a
workgroup, and the add printer wizard does not find or detect this printer.

Any thoughts how to handle?

Dan

"AJR" wrote:

> There is "Netbeui" no such thing as "XP Netbeui". It was included with XP
> only to provide backward network compatibility between XP and "older"
> Windows versions.
> As Eric stated - TCP/IP now performs the network functions - Vista does not
> support Netbeui.
>

> "Dan S" <djsigal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I have a client with a workgroup and they have many wk2 and XP systems.
> >There is a win98 machine that acts as a printer server that has a canon
> >parallel printer attached to it.
> >
> > These systems use Netbeui to connect.
> >
> > Can I install XP netbeui on Vista Basic?
> >
> > There is no driver yet for the canon as well so can I use the XP driver?
> >
> > Dan

Steve Urbach

Re: Netbeui
On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:13:58 -0500, "Dan S" <djsigal@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a client with a workgroup and they have many wk2 and XP systems.
>There is a win98 machine that acts as a printer server that has a canon
>parallel printer attached to it.
>
>These systems use Netbeui to connect.
>
>Can I install XP netbeui on Vista Basic?
>
>There is no driver yet for the canon as well so can I use the XP driver?
>
>Dan

If you are using a computer for shares (file or Print) it is best that
it is the HIGHEST O/S, not the lowest.
W98se does support TCP/IP (windows) networks (I have one running with
98se,W2k,XPpro and Vista rc2).
Steve U
thetruthhurts @homail.com

Re: Netbeui
Yes. The XP netbeui will install and run under VISTA. I ran it for a
few days and then decided it was creating too many problems with pcs
when they started hibernating.

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:18:51 -0500, "Dan S" <djsigal@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks but question not answered.
>
>Can I install XP netbeui on a new Vista basic OS system?
>
>Putting a print server on a network may not always work as one needs to have
>a Vista printer driver as well.
>
>Dan
>

>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <uCwHg$SSHHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
>> Dan S <djsigal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>I have a client with a workgroup and they have many wk2 and XP systems.
>>>There is a win98 machine that acts as a printer server that has a canon
>>>parallel printer attached to it.
>>>
>>>These systems use Netbeui to connect.
>>>
>>>Can I install XP netbeui on Vista Basic?
>>>
>>>There is no driver yet for the canon as well so can I use the XP driver?
>>>
>>>Dan
>>>

>> Get a modern print server gadget for as little as 50 bucks. It will
>> probably pay for itself in electric bills compared to an old PC, not
>> to mention the grief if/when the W98 machine dies.
>>
>> --
>> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001

ken

Re: Netbeui
In article <#EOnVIVSHHA.1016@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, djsigal@yahoo.com
says...
> Thanks but question not answered.
>
> Can I install XP netbeui on a new Vista basic OS system?
>
> Putting a print server on a network may not always work as one needs to have
> a Vista printer driver as well.

You need a Vista print driver now. A shared printer needs to have the
correct driver installed on the client machine to print no matter how it
is networked.

> Dan
>

> "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
> > In article <uCwHg$SSHHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> > Dan S <djsigal@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>I have a client with a workgroup and they have many wk2 and XP systems.
> >>There is a win98 machine that acts as a printer server that has a canon
> >>parallel printer attached to it.
> >>
> >>These systems use Netbeui to connect.
> >>
> >>Can I install XP netbeui on Vista Basic?
> >>
> >>There is no driver yet for the canon as well so can I use the XP driver?
> >>
> >>Dan
> >>

> > Get a modern print server gadget for as little as 50 bucks. It will
> > probably pay for itself in electric bills compared to an old PC, not
> > to mention the grief if/when the W98 machine dies.
> >
> > --
> > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
> > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001

JoeT

Re: Netbeui

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> There is "Netbeui" no such thing as "XP Netbeui". It was included with XP
> only to provide backward network compatibility between XP and "older"
> Windows versions.
> As Eric stated - TCP/IP now performs the network functions - Vista does
> not support Netbeui.

True enough in the sense that vista does not include nor officially support
the installation and binding of Netbeui as a protocol.

Untrue that it cannot be installed and used. Just out of curiosity I
followed the basic instructions for installing it into XP which are
available all over the web (But applied the instruction to Vista) and it
worked smoothly even after un-binding TCPIP from the adapters. i.e. using
only Netbeui. Granted there are probably issues I didn't find due to the
individual nature of the system I tested it upon.

I have used this method in the past as a means of keeping drive by hackers
out of shares that used WEP based wireless routers, which everyone knows,
are simply just too easy to crack.

So no it isn't officially supported but yes it certainly can be used at
least for now.