Re: Connecting to a Network Attached Storage device

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ5dG93c2tp?=

Re: Connecting to a Network Attached Storage device
I'm having the same issue and have tried the fix below with no success. I
have double checked all settings on the Storage Drive, as well as my domain
credentials. I am able to access it with no issues on my XP machine but when
attempting to access with the Vista machine just get a User name and password
login box, have tried all combinations of login/passwords with no luck, it
does not even seem to be trrying to authenticate because there are no
security violations showing up. Any other ideas?

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please try this:
>
> - Click Start
> - Click Control Panel
> - Click System and Maintenance
> - Click Administrative Tools
> - Double-Click Local Security Policy
> - In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
> - In the left pane, click Security Options
> - In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN
> manager authentication level"
> - Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session
> security if negotiated"
> - Click OK
>
> --
> - JB
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Ian Bryden

Re: Connecting to a Network Attached Storage device
When the login box appears enter your workgroup name and username in the
username box in this format 'WORKGRROUP\username' and the password as
normal.

Obviously enter your real workgroup and password name in place of the
examples but keep the Workgroup name in capitals.

Why Vista requires this when XP/Linux don't I have no idea but I need to do
this to acces my NAS and it's a PITA. Also I've found that even if you map a
drive and choose to use different credentials (in order to add the workgroup
name) whenever I want to access files on the mapped drive it often prompts
me to re-enter the credential (the first time only) even though I chose to
remember them.

Strange (and a pain) but it works for me.

"Brytowski" <Brytowski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same issue and have tried the fix below with no success. I
> have double checked all settings on the Storage Drive, as well as my
> domain
> credentials. I am able to access it with no issues on my XP machine but
> when
> attempting to access with the Vista machine just get a User name and
> password
> login box, have tried all combinations of login/passwords with no luck, it
> does not even seem to be trrying to authenticate because there are no
> security violations showing up. Any other ideas?
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Please try this:
>>
>> - Click Start
>> - Click Control Panel
>> - Click System and Maintenance
>> - Click Administrative Tools
>> - Double-Click Local Security Policy
>> - In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
>> - In the left pane, click Security Options
>> - In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN
>> manager authentication level"
>> - Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session
>> security if negotiated"
>> - Click OK
>>
>> --
>> - JB
>>
>> Windows Vista Support Faq
>> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ5dG93c2tp?=

Re: Connecting to a Network Attached Storage device
Ian,

Thanks for the response, but that does not seem to be working either. I
have tried all plausible configurations of the **\** my PC name the domain
name, administrator rights etc. I am curreclty connected to a domain and I
can access all my servers without issue it only appears to be this NAS that I
cannot access. I have talked with networking support and they also did not
have any clues to this, they are going to try to upgrade the firmware on the
drive iteself but all security settings seem to be set to the correct
levels/security for this to work. There is NO user name and password set on
the drive, we tried to set one up and test but that also did not work. This
functionality works perfectly fine with XP

Thanks

"Ian Bryden" wrote:

> When the login box appears enter your workgroup name and username in the
> username box in this format 'WORKGRROUP\username' and the password as
> normal.
>
> Obviously enter your real workgroup and password name in place of the
> examples but keep the Workgroup name in capitals.
>
> Why Vista requires this when XP/Linux don't I have no idea but I need to do
> this to acces my NAS and it's a PITA. Also I've found that even if you map a
> drive and choose to use different credentials (in order to add the workgroup
> name) whenever I want to access files on the mapped drive it often prompts
> me to re-enter the credential (the first time only) even though I chose to
> remember them.
>
> Strange (and a pain) but it works for me.
>

> "Brytowski" <Brytowski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having the same issue and have tried the fix below with no success. I
> > have double checked all settings on the Storage Drive, as well as my
> > domain
> > credentials. I am able to access it with no issues on my XP machine but
> > when
> > attempting to access with the Vista machine just get a User name and
> > password
> > login box, have tried all combinations of login/passwords with no luck, it
> > does not even seem to be trrying to authenticate because there are no
> > security violations showing up. Any other ideas?
> >
> > "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Please try this:
> >>
> >> - Click Start
> >> - Click Control Panel
> >> - Click System and Maintenance
> >> - Click Administrative Tools
> >> - Double-Click Local Security Policy
> >> - In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
> >> - In the left pane, click Security Options
> >> - In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN
> >> manager authentication level"
> >> - Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session
> >> security if negotiated"
> >> - Click OK
> >>
> >> --
> >> - JB
> >>
> >> Windows Vista Support Faq
> >> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

DC187

Re: Connecting to a Network Attached Storage device

I had this same Issue with my Buffalo.

My PC's are all connected to a domain. Because the Buffalo NAS device
can't join a domain thats running in 2003 Native mode i connected it to
a workgroup with the same name as my domain. Now this is fine for all my
machines as they authenticate using the format "machinename\username".
On Vista it seems I can't do it this way unless I login locally. So to
fix it I had to change the Buffalo NAS workgroup membership to a
different name. Now when I use "workgroup\username" all is fine.

--
DC187