WEP Network Setup

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpzdG9uZXk=?=

WEP Network Setup
Hello,
I have a problem with my wireless setup my card is a realtek RTL8187 and the
router is a netgear DGB111GTUK. The problem is the two XP machines that
conect to WEP shared key work fine, but my vista machine cannot connect even
though it's the same key ! The message i get is Diagnose connection or
Connect to diffrent network. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to
cure the problem.
Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: WEP Network Setup
Hello dtstoney,

First, have you tried temporarily disabling the encryption on the router to
see if the Vista machine will connect? If it successfully connects with
encryption disabled, then you know its your encryption settings.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

"djstoney" <djstoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a problem with my wireless setup my card is a realtek RTL8187 and
> the
> router is a netgear DGB111GTUK. The problem is the two XP machines that
> conect to WEP shared key work fine, but my vista machine cannot connect
> even
> though it's the same key ! The message i get is Diagnose connection or
> Connect to diffrent network. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to
> cure the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpzdG9uZXk=?=

Re: WEP Network Setup
Hello Eric,
The encryption on the router was disabled to start with and all 3 machines
were connecting. Since the router has been set to WEP with 128 bit encryption
the vista machine refuses to connect. I do belive as you say could be the
vista machine's encryption method. the vista settings are identical to the XP
setting so it should work.Any Ideas?

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Hello dtstoney,
>
> First, have you tried temporarily disabling the encryption on the router to
> see if the Vista machine will connect? If it successfully connects with
> encryption disabled, then you know its your encryption settings.
>
> --
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "djstoney" <djstoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I have a problem with my wireless setup my card is a realtek RTL8187 and
> > the
> > router is a netgear DGB111GTUK. The problem is the two XP machines that
> > conect to WEP shared key work fine, but my vista machine cannot connect
> > even
> > though it's the same key ! The message i get is Diagnose connection or
> > Connect to diffrent network. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to
> > cure the problem.

Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: WEP Network Setup
Do you have a USB flash drive? If so, you could try this. I've written a
page on how to transfer your wireless settings from XP to Vista.

http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/add_vista.htm

--

> Hello Eric,
> The encryption on the router was disabled to start with and all 3 machines
> were connecting. Since the router has been set to WEP with 128 bit
> encryption
> the vista machine refuses to connect. I do belive as you say could be the
> vista machine's encryption method. the vista settings are identical to the
> XP
> setting so it should work.Any Ideas?
>
> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hello dtstoney,
>>
>> First, have you tried temporarily disabling the encryption on the router
>> see if the Vista machine will connect? If it successfully connects with
>> encryption disabled, then you know its your encryption settings.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Cross
>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> "djstoney" <djstoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> > I have a problem with my wireless setup my card is a realtek RTL8187
>> > and
>> > the
>> > router is a netgear DGB111GTUK. The problem is the two XP machines that
>> > conect to WEP shared key work fine, but my vista machine cannot connect
>> > even
>> > though it's the same key ! The message i get is Diagnose connection or
>> > Connect to diffrent network. Can anyone guide me in the right direction
>> > cure the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

RE: WEP Network Setup
I had a similar problem with a Realtek integrated wi-fi (8185 I think??).
Anyways, the solution was to force a driver upgrade by downloading the
install package from the Realtek website. Vista thinks it has the newest
version, but it doesn't. Fixed the problem right away.

Hope this helps.

"djstoney" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a problem with my wireless setup my card is a realtek RTL8187 and the
> router is a netgear DGB111GTUK. The problem is the two XP machines that
> conect to WEP shared key work fine, but my vista machine cannot connect even
> though it's the same key ! The message i get is Diagnose connection or
> Connect to diffrent network. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to
> cure the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpzdG9uZXk=?=

RE: WEP Network Setup
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the info but this didn't solve the problem. I used both vista's
drivers and the realtek's drivers but no joy.

"Bill" wrote:

> I had a similar problem with a Realtek integrated wi-fi (8185 I think??).
> Anyways, the solution was to force a driver upgrade by downloading the
> install package from the Realtek website. Vista thinks it has the newest
> version, but it doesn't. Fixed the problem right away.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "djstoney" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I have a problem with my wireless setup my card is a realtek RTL8187 and the
> > router is a netgear DGB111GTUK. The problem is the two XP machines that
> > conect to WEP shared key work fine, but my vista machine cannot connect even
> > though it's the same key ! The message i get is Diagnose connection or
> > Connect to diffrent network. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to
> > cure the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpzdG9uZXk=?=

Re: WEP Network Setup
Hiya Eric,
Intresing soution but i'm afraid i don't have a flash drive. So that is
ruled out. Sorry !!
i did try bill's reply but that didn't work either. really stumped by this
probblem.
it seems i'm stuck with a cable for the time being.

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Do you have a USB flash drive? If so, you could try this. I've written a
> page on how to transfer your wireless settings from XP to Vista.
>
> http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/add_vista.htm
>
> --
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "djstoney" <djstoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Eric,
> > The encryption on the router was disabled to start with and all 3 machines
> > were connecting. Since the router has been set to WEP with 128 bit
> > encryption
> > the vista machine refuses to connect. I do belive as you say could be the
> > vista machine's encryption method. the vista settings are identical to the
> > XP
> > setting so it should work.Any Ideas?
> >
> > "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello dtstoney,
> >>
> >> First, have you tried temporarily disabling the encryption on the router
> >> see if the Vista machine will connect? If it successfully connects with
> >> encryption disabled, then you know its your encryption settings.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Eric Cross
> >> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpzdG9uZXk=?=

RE: WEP Network Setup
Ok i'm half way to solving the probblem, i rolled back the drivers for the
wireless hub, and now can connect but after say 15-20 minutes the conection
says " conected but with limited access" the newest drivers give me hardware
issues but older driver only this probblem. Any Clues?

ronbo422

Re: WEP Network Setup

I installed Vista in an XP Pro machine. Install went great, but
wireless connectivity was SLOW. 1/5th the speed as my other 2 laptops
on the same network (as measured by Speakeasy.net's bandwidth speed
tester). Realtek driver was the older XP driver dated 5/30/2006.
Tried to update driver to new Realtek 8187 driver dated 1/30/2007
(Vista compatible) and it rendered my wireless card useless (listed it
in OTHER section in Device Manager with "?" beside it). Could not get
to work no matter what. Could only restore to a previously known good
point and wireless would work again, only still slow.
Decided to reinstall Vista and systematically go thru and reinstall all
drivers, starting with video, chipset, audio and finally the newest
version of RealTek driver. This time it liked it and listed the
RealTek card in NETWORK ADAPTERS in Device Manager with the new driver
rev #. I set my channel/SSID to my wireless networks values with no
security enabled (one step at a time) and tried to connect. NO LUCK.
All I get is Windows could not connect, and when I select to diagnose
the problem I get a message of "no response from router". I've tried
reverting back to the old RealTek driver but, once again, the card gets
thrown into the OTHER catagory and isn't recognized. Load new driver
and it's "working properly" as the computer sees it.
I've tried resetting my router and computer also, with no luck.

Any input from wireless-savy guys would be greatly appreciated. I'm
about to drop $50 on Linksys PCI wireless card and try that.

Thanks,
Ronbo

--
ronbo422
ronbo422's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21809

http://forums.techarena.in

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpzdG9uZXk=?=

Re: WEP Network Setup
hiya rondo422,
Looks like from alot of messing about if you use the realtek drivers that
came with vista you get no probblems, if you update of download newer drivers
vista hates it. Also noticed every time you install a driver successfully the
card number goes up by 1 (i'm now at card 16 ?? but only have 1 card go
figure). Once i got the driver working you have to get you card to talk to
the router to do this find the network and click on it, if your router has a
key it will ask you for it. if you do it any other way then your back to
square one. it seems to be a probblem with vista network setup looks like
Microsoft need to look into a cure for this.