cant share D:\ its greyed out

its vista

cant share D:\ its greyed out
Hi,

Anyone know why the option to share d:\ is greyed out after right clicking
D:\ in Computer,choosing "share...",that option to share the whole of D
drive is greyed out,even if one of the folders in D drive is shared.

thanks

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: cant share D:\ its greyed out
Hello,

I'm sorry you're having trouble. Vista has a number of security-focused
updates over XP, which has slightly changed the way sharing and permissions
are set up and administered.

While in Vista you can share out the root drive, it is recommended that you
only share out folders. If you absolutely must, then you can set Password
Protected Sharing to OFF in the Network and Sharing Center; but again, this
is not recommended.

Please review the TechNet article below and follow the steps. If you have
more questions or run into difficulties, please let us know.

Kim [MS]

"its vista" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone know why the option to share d:\ is greyed out after right clicking
> D:\ in Computer,choosing "share...",that option to share the whole of D
> drive is greyed out,even if one of the folders in D drive is shared.
>
> thanks

b bop

Re: cant share D:\ its greyed out
Hi,
I have already set password protected sharing to OFF,when the option to
share d:\ was greyed out after right clicking D:\ in Computer,choosing
"share...",that option to SHARE the whole of D DRIVE.
I CAN SEE the FOLDER within D:\ that is shared,the message i get when i try
to access that folder from another computer is "......is not accessible.You
might have permission to use this network resource......"

I found in XP that if the entire drive is not shared,and a folder within
that drive IS shared,it is not accessible.Thats not the case with Vista?
WHY is the option to share D:\ greyed out????

thanks
"Kim [MS]" <KimMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry you're having trouble. Vista has a number of security-focused
> updates over XP, which has slightly changed the way sharing and
> permissions
> are set up and administered.
>
> While in Vista you can share out the root drive, it is recommended that
> you
> only share out folders. If you absolutely must, then you can set Password
> Protected Sharing to OFF in the Network and Sharing Center; but again,
> this
> is not recommended.
>
> Please review the TechNet article below and follow the steps. If you have
> more questions or run into difficulties, please let us know.

> Kim [MS]
>

> "its vista" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anyone know why the option to share d:\ is greyed out after right
>> clicking
>> D:\ in Computer,choosing "share...",that option to share the whole of D
>> drive is greyed out,even if one of the folders in D drive is shared.
>>
>> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?dGljMjAwMA==?=

RE: cant share D:\ its greyed out

In Windows Vista that option will be always greyed out for a drive. You have
to use advanced sharing to share a drive.