Should Vista auto connect to internet on start up?

The Thinker

Should Vista auto connect to internet on start up?
Hi,
Simple question, should Vista automatically connect to the internet on
start up if there is a internet connection available (either cable or
wireless) the same as XP does?
Set up is:
- not a domain machine
- on a private network (LAN behind router / firewall etc)
- vanilla installation of Vista Business

At present, mine does not and I have to do a repair via the network
control screen (ipconfig /renew I assume) to get it to connect. I
don't think that this can be right, but can't see what I'm doing
wrong!

Thanks,
Josh

Max

Re: Should Vista auto connect to internet on start up?
Yes, it should.
Does your router provide your IP address?
Do you have both options to "Obtain * address automatically" correctly set
in the TCP properties for your connection?
Do you use a proxy?

--
Maxwell Bluemeanie
------

"The Thinker" <admin@pushmaternity.com> wrote in message
news:1170667211.660234.42550@s48g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi,
> Simple question, should Vista automatically connect to the internet on
> start up if there is a internet connection available (either cable or
> wireless) the same as XP does?
> Set up is:
> - not a domain machine
> - on a private network (LAN behind router / firewall etc)
> - vanilla installation of Vista Business
>
> At present, mine does not and I have to do a repair via the network
> control screen (ipconfig /renew I assume) to get it to connect. I
> don't think that this can be right, but can't see what I'm doing
> wrong!
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

The Thinker

On 5 Feb, 09:28, "Max" <m...@home.com> wrote:
> Yes, it should.
> Does your router provide your IP address?
> Do you have both options to "Obtain * address automatically" correctly set
> in the TCP properties for your connection?
> Do you use a proxy?

Yes - router provides IP address
Yes - both options for IP / DNS set to obtain automatically in TCP/IP
settings
No - proxy

Couple of observations:
1. network setup works fine for XP machines
2. same symptions for both wired & wireless
3. does connect, obtaining correct IP address if you repair connection
4. still have the same problem if you disconnect / re-connect network
cable while machine is running
Seems that whilst my XP installations would renew IP on detecting a
new network connection (either on startup or disconnect/reconnect
cable), Vista does not.

Josh

Max

Re: Should Vista auto connect to internet on start up?
OK, then sorry--I don't have an answer since I have not experienced what you
describe.
I have read that there have been some connection issues coming out of
sleep/hibernation on some machines in Vista, but I don't have those issues
either. Perhaps check to make sure that your adapter is not set to power
off--Connection Status/Details/Power Management tab.
Maybe someone else will come along with some suggestions.

--
Maxwell Bluemeanie
------

"The Thinker" <admin@pushmaternity.com> wrote in message
news:1170668330.559894.16430@m58g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
> On 5 Feb, 09:28, "Max" <m...@home.com> wrote:
>> Yes, it should.
>> Does your router provide your IP address?
>> Do you have both options to "Obtain * address automatically" correctly
>> set
>> in the TCP properties for your connection?
>> Do you use a proxy?
>>

> Yes - router provides IP address
> Yes - both options for IP / DNS set to obtain automatically in TCP/IP
> settings
> No - proxy
>
> Couple of observations:
> 1. network setup works fine for XP machines
> 2. same symptions for both wired & wireless
> 3. does connect, obtaining correct IP address if you repair connection
> 4. still have the same problem if you disconnect / re-connect network
> cable while machine is running
> Seems that whilst my XP installations would renew IP on detecting a
> new network connection (either on startup or disconnect/reconnect
> cable), Vista does not.
>
> Josh

=?Utf-8?B?TWFzb24=?=

Re: Should Vista auto connect to internet on start up?
hey max, I have the Hibernate/sleep problem with my network, can you point me
to where there are other people having the similar problem? I posted my
question on this forum but no one has responded yet

"Max" wrote:

> OK, then sorry--I don't have an answer since I have not experienced what you
> describe.
> I have read that there have been some connection issues coming out of
> sleep/hibernation on some machines in Vista, but I don't have those issues
> either. Perhaps check to make sure that your adapter is not set to power
> off--Connection Status/Details/Power Management tab.
> Maybe someone else will come along with some suggestions.
>
> --
> Maxwell Bluemeanie
> ------

Max

Re: Should Vista auto connect to internet on start up?
Sorry, don't really remember if I read about it in these forums or elsewhere
online--or if anybody had a solution.
Me: DOH!

Maybe start here?
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&...em&btnG=Search
--
Maxwell Bluemeanie
------

"Mason" <Mason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey max, I have the Hibernate/sleep problem with my network, can you point
> me
> to where there are other people having the similar problem? I posted my
> question on this forum but no one has responded yet
>
> "Max" wrote:
>
>> OK, then sorry--I don't have an answer since I have not experienced what
>> you
>> describe.
>> I have read that there have been some connection issues coming out of
>> sleep/hibernation on some machines in Vista, but I don't have those
>> issues
>> either. Perhaps check to make sure that your adapter is not set to power
>> off--Connection Status/Details/Power Management tab.
>> Maybe someone else will come along with some suggestions.
>>
>> --
>> Maxwell Bluemeanie
>> ------

The Thinker

Re: Should Vista auto connect to internet on start up?
> >> either. Perhaps check to make sure that your adapter is not set to power
> >> off--Connection Status/Details/Power Management tab.
> >> Maybe someone else will come along with some suggestions.

> >> --
> >> Maxwell Bluemeanie

Hi Max,

Thanks for the suggestion above - changed a few of the power saving
modes (should have guessed as it is a laptop) and seems to have cured
the problem - fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Josh