Remote networking to Vista Ultimate computers.

=?Utf-8?B?TEp1bGlldDk3?=

Remote networking to Vista Ultimate computers.
I am pretty unexperienced about networking but I am trying to be able to use
one of my vista ultimate computers to get files off another vista ultimate
computer at my work over the internet. We do not have a VPN. I am not sure
how to set one up or even if this is my best way of doing it. Any info you
can give me would be greatly appreciated.
=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Remote networking to Vista Ultimate computers.
If the computer at work is on a network you are going to want to talk with
the people who manage that network. They will have to set you up with a
solution, if one is to be had. Since their primary duty to the company is to
maintain the functionality and security of that network, don't be surprised
if they are less than cooperative. There are many pitfalls to establishing
communications between employees' systems at home and resources on the
company network. It can be done, and fairly securely, but not without some
considerable effort on their part -- depending upon the configuration of that
network.

If your situation is different from what I have surmised -- like you just
have your own standalone system at work connected to the Internet by
broadband or what-have-you then you should post back with specific
information so someone can try to help you.

"LJuliet97" wrote:

> I am pretty unexperienced about networking but I am trying to be able to use
> one of my vista ultimate computers to get files off another vista ultimate
> computer at my work over the internet. We do not have a VPN. I am not sure
> how to set one up or even if this is my best way of doing it. Any info you
> can give me would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?TEp1bGlldDk3?=

RE: Remote networking to Vista Ultimate computers.
We do not have anyone who manages our network. What kind of specs do I need.
We are a small printing company. We have 5 pcs and 1 mac networked though
Netgear router. There are only two people who use the computers. I wish we
had an IT Dept., but unfortunately I am it. I know quite a bit about
operating a computer but very little about networking and remote access.

"jimmuh" wrote:

> If the computer at work is on a network you are going to want to talk with
> the people who manage that network. They will have to set you up with a
> solution, if one is to be had. Since their primary duty to the company is to
> maintain the functionality and security of that network, don't be surprised
> if they are less than cooperative. There are many pitfalls to establishing
> communications between employees' systems at home and resources on the
> company network. It can be done, and fairly securely, but not without some
> considerable effort on their part -- depending upon the configuration of that
> network.
>
> If your situation is different from what I have surmised -- like you just
> have your own standalone system at work connected to the Internet by
> broadband or what-have-you then you should post back with specific
> information so someone can try to help you.
>
> "LJuliet97" wrote:
>
> > I am pretty unexperienced about networking but I am trying to be able to use
> > one of my vista ultimate computers to get files off another vista ultimate
> > computer at my work over the internet. We do not have a VPN. I am not sure
> > how to set one up or even if this is my best way of doing it. Any info you
> > can give me would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Remote networking to Vista Ultimate computers.
Okay. In that case you have a LOT of choices. Setting up a VPN would be one
of the better choices -- IF the routers at both ends (I'm assuming you're
using a router at home, too.) are capable of it. I'm afraid it's unlikely
that you'll be able to get the process nailed down on the newsgroup. There
can be a LOT of steps, and they vary with the equipment you're using.

In general you need to learn how to set up port forwarding on your routers.
You'll also need to learn whether your work routers IP address is fixed or
dynamically assigned. If dynamically assigned you'll have to make use of a
service to keep your home PC apprised of the current address of the router at
work -- so that it can find it. Then the port forwarding makes it possible to
make it past the Netgear router's Network Address Translation (NAT) to get to
the resources on the work PC. You could just make shares available, or you
could log on to the work PC by enabling remote desktop connection. Or you
could go the low, and very dangerous, route and just stick the work machine
in the DMZ of the router (if it has one). This would be, in my opinion, a
VERY bad idea -- but it works for some people if there are absolutely no
security concerns with respect to the data or the PC being put at risk. (The
ONLY reason I'm really mentioning this is that you might hear that suggestion
from someone else, and I want you to know that it is the way NOT to do what
you want to do.)

First, I suggest lookining here:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vpn.htm

Read the whole thing carefully so that you really understand it. It's
actually a pretty good overview, and you will be best served by understanding
the basic principles before diving in to the nitty gritty.

Then you need to do the basic research on what your specific router at work
is capable of. It is likely that the only real stumbling block will be
figuring out how to manage the router at work into letting you do what you
want to do. The router at home should be no problem because it will allow a
return from any process on any port that you send OUT through it. (That's the
basic idea of NAT.) If the router at work supports VPN then you definitely
should consider that as your first and best choice. When configuring go for
the gold, security-wise. Otherwise, use a USB key. And, yes, I am serious. If
you leave that PC at work hanging out in the open it will be compromised, and
very quickly.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that Netgear probably has forums for
user-to-user support. Most manufacturers of networking gear do have such
forums, and the most precise answers about how to set up a particular router
for a particular use will probably be found there -- except in the unlikely
case that the manual that came with the router is a good one. The consumer
grade routers often come with manuals that are a little light on explanations
with respect to advanced configurations. If it's a higher end router then you
may very well have the answers in the manual.

"LJuliet97" wrote:

> We do not have anyone who manages our network. What kind of specs do I need.
> We are a small printing company. We have 5 pcs and 1 mac networked though
> Netgear router. There are only two people who use the computers. I wish we
> had an IT Dept., but unfortunately I am it. I know quite a bit about
> operating a computer but very little about networking and remote access.
>
> "jimmuh" wrote:
>
> > If the computer at work is on a network you are going to want to talk with
> > the people who manage that network. They will have to set you up with a
> > solution, if one is to be had. Since their primary duty to the company is to
> > maintain the functionality and security of that network, don't be surprised
> > if they are less than cooperative. There are many pitfalls to establishing
> > communications between employees' systems at home and resources on the
> > company network. It can be done, and fairly securely, but not without some
> > considerable effort on their part -- depending upon the configuration of that
> > network.
> >
> > If your situation is different from what I have surmised -- like you just
> > have your own standalone system at work connected to the Internet by
> > broadband or what-have-you then you should post back with specific
> > information so someone can try to help you.
> >
> > "LJuliet97" wrote:
> >
> > > I am pretty unexperienced about networking but I am trying to be able to use
> > > one of my vista ultimate computers to get files off another vista ultimate
> > > computer at my work over the internet. We do not have a VPN. I am not sure
> > > how to set one up or even if this is my best way of doing it. Any info you
> > > can give me would be greatly appreciated.

The Thinker

Re: Remote networking to Vista Ultimate computers.
On 5 Feb, 04:25, LJuliet97 <LJulie...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I am pretty unexperienced about networking but I am trying to be able to use
> one of my vista ultimate computers to get files off another vista ultimate
> computer at my work over the internet. We do not have a VPN. I am not sure
> how to set one up or even if this is my best way of doing it. Any info you
> can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

For a simple solution, you could look at

https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home

It doesn't work with Vista as yet (they say hopefully by the end of
Feb), but it is a simple product to use, and you do not have to do any
router / network config. I use it to maintain the pc's between home /
work.

Josh

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

Re: Remote networking to Vista Ultimate computers.
Oh sure! Take all the fun out of it!

;-)

No, seriously, the third party solutions may not be a bad idea, if you don't
mind paying for them. I've never actually investigated any of them so don't
know much about potential security issues. That is, of course, something
about which you should always be concerned. But doing some basic research
should show you whether or not there are security concerns for a given
software package.

This software looks like a "turnkey" solution, and that would put it in the
same category, more or less, as several other software packages that do the
same thing -- connnect your home PC to your work PC. Their main selling point
is that they are easy. You install the software on your home PC, you install
it on the work PC, and it just works.

Frankly, setting up a VPN isn't really that much harder -- except, perhaps,
for figuring out how to do whatever is required with your router(s). And you
can learn a lot from doing it. But a "learning experience" is NOT what most
people are looking for.

So, I think that The Thinker has offered you a possibility that I should
have considered. I know this stuff exists. It's just that I prefer to stay as
"basic" (not involving third party software) as I can. Just a philosophical
orientation, NOT a religion.

So, LJuliet97, you should consider ALL of your options carefully, and then
just choose one based on the information you can find about the alternative.
The in-built Microsoft solutions combined with the capabilities of the router
should suffice, and you get a chance to learn "how things work." But there's
a lot to be said for ease of use, too. Not all of us like bumping up against
obstacles. I happen to have a lot of bumps on my head. Heh.

"The Thinker" wrote:

> On 5 Feb, 04:25, LJuliet97 <LJulie...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > I am pretty unexperienced about networking but I am trying to be able to use
> > one of my vista ultimate computers to get files off another vista ultimate
> > computer at my work over the internet. We do not have a VPN. I am not sure
> > how to set one up or even if this is my best way of doing it. Any info you
> > can give me would be greatly appreciated.

> Hi,
>
> For a simple solution, you could look at
>
> https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home
>
> It doesn't work with Vista as yet (they say hopefully by the end of
> Feb), but it is a simple product to use, and you do not have to do any
> router / network config. I use it to maintain the pc's between home /
> work.
>
> Josh

Sooner Al [MVP]

"LJuliet97" <LJuliet97@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am pretty unexperienced about networking but I am trying to be able to
>use
> one of my vista ultimate computers to get files off another vista ultimate
> computer at my work over the internet. We do not have a VPN. I am not sure
> how to set one up or even if this is my best way of doing it. Any info you
> can give me would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to setup the Vista machine at work as a PPTP VPN server for
secure remote access of your shared files see this page for help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...P/PPTPVPN.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...