Anybody have wireless ICS working with Vista and XP host?

=?Utf-8?B?UmFscGg=?=

Anybody have wireless ICS working with Vista and XP host?
I've had a heck of a time getting a new Vista laptop to connect to my
wireless ICS host PC running XP. As others have mentionned I also cannot
connect with XP in peer-to-peer using WPA, I have to use WEP. Then I was
able to connect to my XP ICS host, but couldn't get to the internet. I had
to set a static IPv4 address (KB309642) for it to connect to the internet.
Also, Vista does not allow automatic connection to your preferred
peer-to-peer network... why not?! Why must we always connect manually,
that's weird? It's almost as if peer-to-peer wireless networking was an
afterthought, forgotten, or not tested with ICS.

Now it could be the drivers, or Vista, or both, but it crashes regularly the
wireless drivers (host service stops) when I connect peer-to-peer, but,
here's the clincher: not when I connect to a router. The wireless device is
a Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 and I downloaded the more recent drivers from Intel.

So has anyone gotten Vista working with a wireless ICS XP host using WPA
without issues?
Marcin Domaslawski

Re: Anybody have wireless ICS working with Vista and XP host?
Hi,

I've got wireless network at home. My notebook has Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
3945ABG wireless card and drivers installed by Windows. IP address is
obtained automatically, and connection is configured (manually):
Security type: Shared
Encryption: WEP.
In addition checked 'Connect automatically when this network is in range'
and 'Connect even if the network is not broadcasting' - everything works
great.

Marcin Domaslawski

"Ralph" <Ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've had a heck of a time getting a new Vista laptop to connect to my
> wireless ICS host PC running XP. As others have mentionned I also cannot
> connect with XP in peer-to-peer using WPA, I have to use WEP. Then I was
> able to connect to my XP ICS host, but couldn't get to the internet. I
> had
> to set a static IPv4 address (KB309642) for it to connect to the internet.
> Also, Vista does not allow automatic connection to your preferred
> peer-to-peer network... why not?! Why must we always connect manually,
> that's weird? It's almost as if peer-to-peer wireless networking was an
> afterthought, forgotten, or not tested with ICS.
>
> Now it could be the drivers, or Vista, or both, but it crashes regularly
> the
> wireless drivers (host service stops) when I connect peer-to-peer, but,
> here's the clincher: not when I connect to a router. The wireless device
> is
> a Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 and I downloaded the more recent drivers from
> Intel.
>
> So has anyone gotten Vista working with a wireless ICS XP host using WPA
> without issues?

=?Utf-8?B?UmFscGg=?=

Re: Anybody have wireless ICS working with Vista and XP host?
Thanks Marcin for replying, but I cannot find the option "Connect
automatically when this network is in range" for the peer-to-peer wireless
ICS connection. I see it for wireless networks (PC to router), but not for
peer-to-peer wireless networks (PC to PC).

Are you sure you are using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) wireless
networking? Wireless ICS utilizes peer-to-peer networking, which is what is
causing me all of the problems. As I mentionned in my original post I don't
have any problems connecting to wireless routers, I'm having problems
connecting to an ICS host PC which is running Windows XP.