Internet Connection Speed

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IFc=?=

Internet Connection Speed
In WIndows XP with UPNP and Gateway Discovery enabled an Internet Connection
icon was created in the System Tray so you could see the actual internet
activity on your gateway, it also had the benefit of quickly telling you the
current speed of yor internet connection e.g 2.9Mbps.

In Vista I can find no way to do, I don't have an Internet Connection icon
in Network unlike XP, it would seem that to use IGDDC I have to share the
connection to see an icon, sharing implies using ICS, why would I need to do
this when my workstations access the network via a common router, this
controls access to the Internet not a master PC.

Is there anyway to do this or do I need to access the router to check this
info now which is a slight annoyance. Am I missing something simple, I assume
UPNP is already enabled in Vista as unlike XP you had to install it?

Cheers

--
Robert W
=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Internet Connection Speed
Robert,

I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. Did you know that you can turn on
the activity animation in the network icon in the tray? Right click on the
icon, then choose, "Turn on activity animation." That will help you 'see'
the traffic.

Then, you can find the relative speed of the connection by going to the
Network and Sharing Center (in the same right click menu from above), and
selecting "Manage network connections" in the left blue navigation bar.
Right click on the network you're interested in, and then select "Status".
That status page should show you the speed of the network.

I hope this helps.

"Robert W" wrote:

> In WIndows XP with UPNP and Gateway Discovery enabled an Internet Connection
> icon was created in the System Tray so you could see the actual internet
> activity on your gateway, it also had the benefit of quickly telling you the
> current speed of yor internet connection e.g 2.9Mbps.
>
> In Vista I can find no way to do, I don't have an Internet Connection icon
> in Network unlike XP, it would seem that to use IGDDC I have to share the
> connection to see an icon, sharing implies using ICS, why would I need to do
> this when my workstations access the network via a common router, this
> controls access to the Internet not a master PC.
>
> Is there anyway to do this or do I need to access the router to check this
> info now which is a slight annoyance. Am I missing something simple, I assume
> UPNP is already enabled in Vista as unlike XP you had to install it?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Robert W

brimur is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take it thats a no then. No icon in the task bar to show internet connection speed. Im going thru a switch so when I follow Roberts directions above I only see my ethernet speed of 1Gb not my Internets connection speed. But when I fire up an XP vmare machine on the same PC it picks up the UPNP modem and creates the icon! Maybe it will be in SP2!