Vista and SimpleTech NAS

=?Utf-8?B?bGF3c2Nl?=

Vista and SimpleTech NAS
Just got a new HP Pavilion Media Center system. Fired it up and everything
was working good. Updates downloaded. While that was going on, I mapped a
drive to my SimpleShare NAS drive and it worked OK. I could access the new
mapped drive with no problems. Rebooted because of updates, then Vista said
it could not find the network drive. I can't get it to recognize the network
device any longer. I used SimpleTech's NASFinder on the Vista PC and it finds
the device. When it tries to map a drive, I get the code=5 error. Vista will
not locate the device through its DNS name \\simpleshare in an Explorer
window or with the device's IP address. I have Windows Vista Premium on this
system. Should I have Windows Vista Ultimate to get networking to function?
Kerry Brown

Re: Vista and SimpleTech NAS
"lawsce" <lawsce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just got a new HP Pavilion Media Center system. Fired it up and everything
> was working good. Updates downloaded. While that was going on, I mapped a
> drive to my SimpleShare NAS drive and it worked OK. I could access the new
> mapped drive with no problems. Rebooted because of updates, then Vista
> said
> it could not find the network drive. I can't get it to recognize the
> network
> device any longer. I used SimpleTech's NASFinder on the Vista PC and it
> finds
> the device. When it tries to map a drive, I get the code=5 error. Vista
> will
> not locate the device through its DNS name \\simpleshare in an Explorer
> window or with the device's IP address. I have Windows Vista Premium on
> this
> system. Should I have Windows Vista Ultimate to get networking to
> function?

MVP Jimmy Brush has a good web page about this issue.

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Networking/ntlm.aspx

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?bGF3c2Nl?=

Re: Vista and SimpleTech NAS
Thanks, I will try that.

I was finally able to get it to connect and map a drive by using the
device's IP address. I noticed that when the password dialog would display,
Vista would insert the computer name\user id in for the user id.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "lawsce" <lawsce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just got a new HP Pavilion Media Center system. Fired it up and everything
> > was working good. Updates downloaded. While that was going on, I mapped a
> > drive to my SimpleShare NAS drive and it worked OK. I could access the new
> > mapped drive with no problems. Rebooted because of updates, then Vista
> > said
> > it could not find the network drive. I can't get it to recognize the
> > network
> > device any longer. I used SimpleTech's NASFinder on the Vista PC and it
> > finds
> > the device. When it tries to map a drive, I get the code=5 error. Vista
> > will
> > not locate the device through its DNS name \\simpleshare in an Explorer
> > window or with the device's IP address. I have Windows Vista Premium on
> > this
> > system. Should I have Windows Vista Ultimate to get networking to
> > function?

> MVP Jimmy Brush has a good web page about this issue.
>
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Networking/ntlm.aspx
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

=?Utf-8?B?bGF3c2Nl?=

Re: Vista and SimpleTech NAS
Yes, looks like the LmCompatibilityLevel registry entry was keeping the drive
from reconnecting after a boot. Changing the value allows it to connect.

Many thanks!

"lawsce" wrote:

> Thanks, I will try that.
>
> I was finally able to get it to connect and map a drive by using the
> device's IP address. I noticed that when the password dialog would display,
> Vista would insert the computer name\user id in for the user id.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
> > "lawsce" <lawsce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Just got a new HP Pavilion Media Center system. Fired it up and everything
> > > was working good. Updates downloaded. While that was going on, I mapped a
> > > drive to my SimpleShare NAS drive and it worked OK. I could access the new
> > > mapped drive with no problems. Rebooted because of updates, then Vista
> > > said
> > > it could not find the network drive. I can't get it to recognize the
> > > network
> > > device any longer. I used SimpleTech's NASFinder on the Vista PC and it
> > > finds
> > > the device. When it tries to map a drive, I get the code=5 error. Vista
> > > will
> > > not locate the device through its DNS name \\simpleshare in an Explorer
> > > window or with the device's IP address. I have Windows Vista Premium on
> > > this
> > > system. Should I have Windows Vista Ultimate to get networking to
> > > function?

> > MVP Jimmy Brush has a good web page about this issue.
> >
> > http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Networking/ntlm.aspx
> >
> > --
> > Kerry Brown
> > Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> > http://www.vistahelp.ca

estebanj

Re: Vista and SimpleTech NAS

I made the LSA edit in the registry (change value to 1), but still
cannot access my HawkingTech NAS from VHP32.

I keep getting the RPC error.

What else to try?

Thanks,

Esteban