vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat

=?Utf-8?B?Z2x5bm5zMTA=?=

vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat
can someone help me please, here is my problem.. i have a machine with
windows xp pro and a machine with windows vista home premuin, on my xp
machine i can access or download files ect that are on my vista machine. but
my vista machine cannot access my xp machine at all. what i want to do is
share my printer and test folder on my xp machine with my vista machine. i
have files sharing and network discovery on , on my vista machine, and i have
file sharing and printer is shared on my xp machine. i have tried everything
i can think of anyone can you help me please? also i was testing windows
ultimate, and i had no problems, all this worked. you may e-mail me at
glynnsoileau@bellsouth.net..
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat
what do you receive if using net use \\xpip?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"glynns10" <glynns10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C478B62D-F20D-47A5-8708-0F9EAF877044@microsoft.com...
can someone help me please, here is my problem.. i have a machine with
windows xp pro and a machine with windows vista home premuin, on my xp
machine i can access or download files ect that are on my vista machine. but
my vista machine cannot access my xp machine at all. what i want to do is
share my printer and test folder on my xp machine with my vista machine. i
have files sharing and network discovery on , on my vista machine, and i have
file sharing and printer is shared on my xp machine. i have tried everything
i can think of anyone can you help me please? also i was testing windows
ultimate, and i had no problems, all this worked. you may e-mail me at
glynnsoileau@bellsouth.net..
rhillstr

Re: vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat

I am having the same problem. I have a vista Laptop (wireless) and an
XP desktop (ethernet) networked through a wireless router. The xp
machine has the printer. I can see the vista machine from the xp
machine, access folders and transfer files. I can ping both ways
without problem. The xp shows up on my vista network map, but will not
appear in the list of machines. I loaded the LLTP, changed workgroup
name, have identical user/pass accounts, enabled network discovery and
yet still the connection is one way.
Any ideas? Thanks all.

--
rhillstr
rhillstr's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21806

http://forums.techarena.in

=?Utf-8?B?Z2x5bm5zMTA=?=

Re: vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat
not sure what you mean, can you please expaling it to me

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> what do you receive if using net use \\xpip?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "glynns10" <glynns10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C478B62D-F20D-47A5-8708-0F9EAF877044@microsoft.com...
> can someone help me please, here is my problem.. i have a machine with
> windows xp pro and a machine with windows vista home premuin, on my xp
> machine i can access or download files ect that are on my vista machine. but
> my vista machine cannot access my xp machine at all. what i want to do is
> share my printer and test folder on my xp machine with my vista machine. i
> have files sharing and network discovery on , on my vista machine, and i have
> file sharing and printer is shared on my xp machine. i have tried everything
> i can think of anyone can you help me please? also i was testing windows
> ultimate, and i had no problems, all this worked. you may e-mail me at
> glynnsoileau@bellsouth.net.

=?Utf-8?B?Z2x5bm5zMTA=?=

Re: vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat
i'm new at this

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> what do you receive if using net use \\xpip?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "glynns10" <glynns10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C478B62D-F20D-47A5-8708-0F9EAF877044@microsoft.com...
> can someone help me please, here is my problem.. i have a machine with
> windows xp pro and a machine with windows vista home premuin, on my xp
> machine i can access or download files ect that are on my vista machine. but
> my vista machine cannot access my xp machine at all. what i want to do is
> share my printer and test folder on my xp machine with my vista machine. i
> have files sharing and network discovery on , on my vista machine, and i have
> file sharing and printer is shared on my xp machine. i have tried everything
> i can think of anyone can you help me please? also i was testing windows
> ultimate, and i had no problems, all this worked. you may e-mail me at
> glynnsoileau@bellsouth.net.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat
Assuming the remote computer IP is 192.168.1.2, run command line: "net use \\192.168.1.2" without quotation. Please post back with the system error.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"glynns10" <glynns10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9915FFE6-E489-41A5-8098-F211F2641800@microsoft.com...
i'm new at this

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> what do you receive if using net use \\xpip?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "glynns10" <glynns10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C478B62D-F20D-47A5-8708-0F9EAF877044@microsoft.com...
> can someone help me please, here is my problem.. i have a machine with
> windows xp pro and a machine with windows vista home premuin, on my xp
> machine i can access or download files ect that are on my vista machine. but
> my vista machine cannot access my xp machine at all. what i want to do is
> share my printer and test folder on my xp machine with my vista machine. i
> have files sharing and network discovery on , on my vista machine, and i have
> file sharing and printer is shared on my xp machine. i have tried everything
> i can think of anyone can you help me please? also i was testing windows
> ultimate, and i had no problems, all this worked. you may e-mail me at
> glynnsoileau@bellsouth.net.

rhillstr

Re: vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat

Glynn:
Go to command prompt and type:

NET USE //(ip of your windows xp machine OR its name)

for example on mine its:

NET USE //192.168.11.100
or
NET USE //DESKTOP

Robert L:
When I do this from my XP machine I get my Vista Laptop, however when I
do this from my Vista laptop (the one I can't see the network on) I get
"SYSTEM ERROR 58". Again I can ping it without difficulty.

--
rhillstr
rhillstr's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21806
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=674570

http://forums.techarena.in

JoeT

"rhillstr" <rhillstr.2lo2bc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Glynn:
> Go to command prompt and type:
>
> NET USE //(ip of your windows xp machine OR its name)
>
> for example on mine its:
>
> NET USE //192.168.11.100
> or
> NET USE //DESKTOP
>
> Robert L:
> When I do this from my XP machine I get my Vista Laptop, however when I
> do this from my Vista laptop (the one I can't see the network on) I get
> "SYSTEM ERROR 58". Again I can ping it without difficulty.
>

> --
> rhillstr
> rhillstr's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21806
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=674570
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

When I do this from either my xp nodes or my vista node I get an error 51
has occurred. Windows cannot find network path....

Net view shows all the XP nodes but never the vista one regardless of which
machine I try it from.

I've tried all the instructions available and even loaded the Link Layer
Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder from an article that claimed it was
necessary to all XP machines. No joy.

I can see everything from my Vista Network screen. But the XP nodes see only
one another, not Vista.

Same workgroup etc

What amazes me is the net commands don't see it even from itself. Btw it can
ping itself even though the net commands don't see it but no other node can.
It simply isn't there as far as they're concerned.

One article states that simple sharing isn't possible but then if that isn't
true why is there an option to turn off password sharing? It behaves the
same either way in my case just thought I'd mention that confusion as well.

joe

rhillstr

Re: vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat

Success! I had all firewalls and norton disabled, but upon careful
review I had WORM PROTECTION turned on in Norton Antivirus. Listed in
the specific attack protections was an entry for numerous TCP/IP and
Netbios items! I turned worm protection off and.... works perfectly!!!

--
rhillstr
rhillstr's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21806
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=674570

http://forums.techarena.in

=?Utf-8?B?Z2x5bm5zMTA=?=

Re: vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat

OK WHEN I TYPE NET USE \\192.168.1.94 i get questions, what ami i looking
for? i'm totally lost