Slow transfers between to PCs?

boe

Slow transfers between to PCs?
Hello,

I have 2 PCs - both were running Windows XP SP2 and now are running Vista
Ultimate. When I trasnfer between disks on the same computer I get
reasonably good performance but for some reason network transfers seem very
slow compared to what they were in XP. Any thoughts on this? I can't find
new network drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to set the priority on
what network adapter to use.

Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IFtNVlBd?=

RE: Slow transfers between to PCs?
This article (just released) may address your problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770/en-us

Regards,

Stuart.
--------

"boe" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have 2 PCs - both were running Windows XP SP2 and now are running Vista
> Ultimate. When I trasnfer between disks on the same computer I get
> reasonably good performance but for some reason network transfers seem very
> slow compared to what they were in XP. Any thoughts on this? I can't find
> new network drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to set the priority on
> what network adapter to use.
>
> Thanks

boe

"Stuart [MVP]" <StuartMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This article (just released) may address your problem:

> Regards,
>
> Stuart.
> --------
>

> "boe" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have 2 PCs - both were running Windows XP SP2 and now are running Vista
>> Ultimate. When I trasnfer between disks on the same computer I get
>> reasonably good performance but for some reason network transfers seem
>> very
>> slow compared to what they were in XP. Any thoughts on this? I can't
>> find
>> new network drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to set the priority
>> on
>> what network adapter to use.
>>
>> Thanks

Dan

On Feb 14, 11:30 am, "boe" <b...@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks
>
> "Stuart [MVP]" <Stuart...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > This article (just released) may address your problem:

> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770/en-us

> > Regards,

> > Stuart.
> > --------

> > "boe" wrote:

> >> Hello,

> >> I have 2 PCs - both were running Windows XP SP2 and now are running Vista
> >> Ultimate. When I trasnfer between disks on the same computer I get
> >> reasonably good performance but for some reason network transfers seem
> >> very
> >> slow compared to what they were in XP. Any thoughts on this? I can't
> >> find
> >> new network drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to set the priority
> >> on
> >> what network adapter to use.

> >> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Has anyone tried this or been able to get the hotfix yet?
Dan

Dan

Re: Slow transfers between to PCs?
On Feb 14, 9:49 am, Stuart [MVP] <Stuart...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> This article (just released) may address your problem:

> Regards,
>
> Stuart.
> --------
>

> "boe" wrote:
> > Hello,

> > I have 2 PCs - both were running Windows XP SP2 and now are running Vista
> > Ultimate. When I trasnfer between disks on the same computer I get
> > reasonably good performance but for some reason network transfers seem very
> > slow compared to what they were in XP. Any thoughts on this? I can't find
> > new network drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to set the priority on
> > what network adapter to use.

> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I'm not hanging, just real slow, I'm not sure this applies - I'll try
to get a copy of the hotfix

boe

Re: Slow transfers between to PCs?
I went to another client who has vista on a workstation - two identical
machines - the vista takes 5 times as long as the Win XP to download a file
from a Win2k3 server with all the patches on the server and workstations.
"Dan" <dfrench@macroworks.com> wrote in message
news:1171482953.193769.107860@l53g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> On Feb 14, 9:49 am, Stuart [MVP] <Stuart...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>> This article (just released) may address your problem:

>> Regards,
>>
>> Stuart.
>> --------
>>

>> "boe" wrote:
>> > Hello,

>> > I have 2 PCs - both were running Windows XP SP2 and now are running
>> > Vista
>> > Ultimate. When I trasnfer between disks on the same computer I get
>> > reasonably good performance but for some reason network transfers seem
>> > very
>> > slow compared to what they were in XP. Any thoughts on this? I can't
>> > find
>> > new network drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to set the
>> > priority on
>> > what network adapter to use.

>> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> I'm not hanging, just real slow, I'm not sure this applies - I'll try
> to get a copy of the hotfix

=?Utf-8?B?RFJVQW5nZWxs?=

RE: Slow transfers between to PCs?
I am having this exact same problem. 2 machines both had XP SP2 prior and
now run Vista Ultimate. Transferring files between the two over the network
is horribly slow. Sit and wait on a calculating time window and then finally
it might not start transferring if i haven't given up yet. But many times
the transfer speeds are less than 1MB/sec. Not good at all. Other times I
get my full 10MB/sec or so, but it sitll has to "calculate time" first.
Rather annoying.

"boe" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have 2 PCs - both were running Windows XP SP2 and now are running Vista
> Ultimate. When I trasnfer between disks on the same computer I get
> reasonably good performance but for some reason network transfers seem very
> slow compared to what they were in XP. Any thoughts on this? I can't find
> new network drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to set the priority on
> what network adapter to use.
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?SXJpc2hXcmFpdGg=?=

RE: Slow transfers between to PCs?

i am running vista64 ultimate and have this problem this KB says there is a
fix but how do i get the files, over an hour to copy 100mb ona gigbait
network, used to take less than a minute when i was runing xp

"DRUAngell" wrote:

> I am having this exact same problem. 2 machines both had XP SP2 prior and
> now run Vista Ultimate. Transferring files between the two over the network
> is horribly slow. Sit and wait on a calculating time window and then finally
> it might not start transferring if i haven't given up yet. But many times
> the transfer speeds are less than 1MB/sec. Not good at all. Other times I
> get my full 10MB/sec or so, but it sitll has to "calculate time" first.
> Rather annoying.
>
> "boe" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have 2 PCs - both were running Windows XP SP2 and now are running Vista
> > Ultimate. When I trasnfer between disks on the same computer I get
> > reasonably good performance but for some reason network transfers seem very
> > slow compared to what they were in XP. Any thoughts on this? I can't find
> > new network drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to set the priority on
> > what network adapter to use.
> >
> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?RFJVQW5nZWxs?=

RE: Slow transfers between to PCs?
That patch is only for the hanging problem, which I honestly haven't seen
much of. From what I've seen those that have applied the patch still have
slow networking problems.

"IrishWraith" wrote:

> i am running vista64 ultimate and have this problem this KB says there is a
> fix but how do i get the files, over an hour to copy 100mb ona gigbait
> network, used to take less than a minute when i was runing xp
>
> "DRUAngell" wrote:
>
> > I am having this exact same problem. 2 machines both had XP SP2 prior and
> > now run Vista Ultimate. Transferring files between the two over the network
> > is horribly slow. Sit and wait on a calculating time window and then finally
> > it might not start transferring if i haven't given up yet. But many times
> > the transfer speeds are less than 1MB/sec. Not good at all. Other times I
> > get my full 10MB/sec or so, but it sitll has to "calculate time" first.
> > Rather annoying.
> >
> > "boe" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have 2 PCs - both were running Windows XP SP2 and now are running Vista
> > > Ultimate. When I trasnfer between disks on the same computer I get
> > > reasonably good performance but for some reason network transfers seem very
> > > slow compared to what they were in XP. Any thoughts on this? I can't find
> > > new network drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to set the priority on
> > > what network adapter to use.
> > >
> > > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?SXJpc2hXcmFpdGg=?=

RE: Slow transfers between to PCs?
I just got the patch by going through the nightmare of calling microsoft
support and installed it on my 64bit ultimate, it has made no difference and
i still have the problem