Bridged Connections not working

Trevor Baker

Bridged Connections not working
I bridge my wireless and ethernet connections to connect my xbox to the
internet. This worked fine in xp and in a prior rtm install on vista
ultimate on this same hardware. It has not worked for me since I
reinstalled though. I've enabled compatibility mode via netsh and still am
unable to connect to the wireless network when the bridge is created. I can
connect to the wireless network just fine when I remove the bridge.

I've forced compat via the following command:

netsh bridge set adapter <adapterID> forcecompatmode=enable

"netsh bridge show adapter" shows both nics are in compatmode.

Ideas?

TIA,
Trevor

Trevor Baker

Re: Bridged Connections not working
Looks like this is a known issue:

Has anyone called support asking for a hotfix before? Would I have to pay?

Thanks,
Trevor

"Trevor Baker" <biosphere65_add_one_for_real_address@hotmail.co m> wrote in
message news:1CA8CD51-0412-4AEE-9C7A-89F5139DCE05@microsoft.com...
>I bridge my wireless and ethernet connections to connect my xbox to the
>internet. This worked fine in xp and in a prior rtm install on vista
>ultimate on this same hardware. It has not worked for me since I
>reinstalled though. I've enabled compatibility mode via netsh and still am
>unable to connect to the wireless network when the bridge is created. I
>can connect to the wireless network just fine when I remove the bridge.
>
> I've forced compat via the following command:
>
> netsh bridge set adapter <adapterID> forcecompatmode=enable
>
> "netsh bridge show adapter" shows both nics are in compatmode.
>
> Ideas?
>
> TIA,
> Trevor

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Re: Bridged Connections not working
In article <5C650805-31CD-4220-ABCB-7D3BE6AB5F8F@microsoft.com>,
"Trevor Baker" <biosphere66@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>I bridge my wireless and ethernet connections to connect my xbox to the
>>internet. This worked fine in xp and in a prior rtm install on vista
>>ultimate on this same hardware. It has not worked for me since I
>>reinstalled though. I've enabled compatibility mode via netsh and still am
>>unable to connect to the wireless network when the bridge is created. I
>>can connect to the wireless network just fine when I remove the bridge.
>>
>> I've forced compat via the following command:
>>
>> netsh bridge set adapter <adapterID> forcecompatmode=enable
>>
>> "netsh bridge show adapter" shows both nics are in compatmode.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Trevor

>Looks like this is a known issue:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/930517
>
>Has anyone called support asking for a hotfix before? Would I have to pay?
>
>Thanks,
>Trevor

Contact Microsoft Product Support Services, as described in the
Knowledge Base article. To get the hotfix at no charge:

1. Tell them that you have the problem described in KB article 930517.
2. Request the hotfix.
3. Ask them to waive the charge for the support call.
4. Don't ask for help with any other issue.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
=?Utf-8?B?U3VyeWEgUHJha2FzaA==?=

Re: Bridged Connections not working
You can find the following sentence from the KB article:
You receive these messages even though the device has good network
connectivity using the wireless network bridge.

so check whether the functionality is working fine for you.

thanks,
Surya