wired network problem

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=

wired network problem
I have a Linksys wired router and I have updated to the latest firmware
version.

It is a 2 computer home network with a new Vista home premium machine and a
XP machine. The problem I am having is the Vista machine cannot ping the XP
machine, and I have disabled the firewall and allowed file and print sharing
with the same results......I even changed my automatic power off for my
network card. The Vista machine did not come w/ any installed software so
there is no other firewall besides windows. Yes I have enabled file and print
sharing as well as network discovery.

In another thread there was something about netbios and I changed that,
still nothing.

Sharing the internet works fine but I am unable to share files?

When I open the network icon both computers show up up cannot communicate
with each other, and they have the same workgroup name.

I messed around all day yesterday to no avail, help please.

The XP machine can ping the Vista machine but the Vista machine cannot ping
the XP machine.
Steve Winograd [MVP]

Re: wired network problem
In article <1AF26738-E9B8-4E11-8281-99925C6CD12D@microsoft.com>, Kevin
<Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I have a Linksys wired router and I have updated to the latest firmware
>version.
>
>It is a 2 computer home network with a new Vista home premium machine and a
>XP machine. The problem I am having is the Vista machine cannot ping the XP
>machine, and I have disabled the firewall and allowed file and print sharing
>with the same results......I even changed my automatic power off for my
>network card. The Vista machine did not come w/ any installed software so
>there is no other firewall besides windows. Yes I have enabled file and print
>sharing as well as network discovery.
>
>In another thread there was something about netbios and I changed that,
>still nothing.
>
>Sharing the internet works fine but I am unable to share files?
>
>When I open the network icon both computers show up up cannot communicate
>with each other, and they have the same workgroup name.
>
>I messed around all day yesterday to no avail, help please.
>
>The XP machine can ping the Vista machine but the Vista machine cannot ping
>the XP machine.

Are you pinging the XP machine by computer name, by IP address, or
both? Pinging by computer name uses NetBIOS. Pinging by IP address
doesn't.

It's possible that a hidden firewall on XP is blocking the ping. Does
Windows Security Center show a firewall? Some recent antivirus
programs (e.g. Norton, PC-cillin) include firewall components.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: wired network problem
Hello Kevin,

Have you check any firewall on the XP machine either Windows Live OneCare or
a third party firewall?

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Linksys wired router and I have updated to the latest firmware
> version.
>
> It is a 2 computer home network with a new Vista home premium machine and
> XP machine. The problem I am having is the Vista machine cannot ping the
> XP
> machine, and I have disabled the firewall and allowed file and print
> sharing
> with the same results......I even changed my automatic power off for my
> network card. The Vista machine did not come w/ any installed software so
> there is no other firewall besides windows. Yes I have enabled file and
> print
> sharing as well as network discovery.
>
> In another thread there was something about netbios and I changed that,
> still nothing.
>
> Sharing the internet works fine but I am unable to share files?
>
> When I open the network icon both computers show up up cannot communicate
> with each other, and they have the same workgroup name.
>
> I messed around all day yesterday to no avail, help please.
>
> The XP machine can ping the Vista machine but the Vista machine cannot
> ping
> the XP machine.

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=

Re: wired network problem
Thank You, it was Mcafee Anti-Virus it looks like.

Works fine now

Kevin

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Hello Kevin,
>
> Have you check any firewall on the XP machine either Windows Live OneCare or
> a third party firewall?
>
> --
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Linksys wired router and I have updated to the latest firmware
> > version.
> >
> > It is a 2 computer home network with a new Vista home premium machine and
> > XP machine. The problem I am having is the Vista machine cannot ping the
> > XP
> > machine, and I have disabled the firewall and allowed file and print
> > sharing
> > with the same results......I even changed my automatic power off for my
> > network card. The Vista machine did not come w/ any installed software so
> > there is no other firewall besides windows. Yes I have enabled file and
> > print
> > sharing as well as network discovery.
> >
> > In another thread there was something about netbios and I changed that,
> > still nothing.
> >
> > Sharing the internet works fine but I am unable to share files?
> >
> > When I open the network icon both computers show up up cannot communicate
> > with each other, and they have the same workgroup name.
> >
> > I messed around all day yesterday to no avail, help please.
> >
> > The XP machine can ping the Vista machine but the Vista machine cannot
> > ping
> > the XP machine.

NickT

Re: wired network problem
Kevin, What did you do in Macafee anti-virus to solve the problem?