Wireless networking - "Identifying ...(Public Network).."

The Thinker

Wireless networking - "Identifying ...(Public Network).."
Hi,

I'm having a strange wireless networking problem. I defined a private
network in Vista, complete with wireless network connection & key.

When I reboot my laptop, it does not auto re-connect to this (only
network I have defined), instead it tries to create a new public
network (message "Identifying ...(Public Network).." appear in Network
and Sharing Centre), with access type of Local Only - i.e. no internet
access - but it does pick up the wireless sid name / key etc.

At this point, the machine has a local ip address 169.254 ..., it has
not picked up one from the router (but has picked up the DNS server
addresses).

The only way I can resolve this is to click on the red cross that
appears in the network and sharing center window on the link to the
world / internet image, where upon I get various options, 1 of which
is renew IP address for the wireless adaptor. Do this and then it
connects fine to my pre-defined private network.

My network works fine on XP machines.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh

Birdman2000 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exact same problem... Where is the solution????
I noticed that this post was written in 2007. I'm having the exact same problem and we are now in 2008!!!! Microsoft, where is the solution????? Does anyone have the solution to this very irritating problem?

Thank you!

Rick

Birdman2000 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solution to this irritating problem...
I found the solution to this irritating problem on a different support website. I can't find the original solution post to give them proper credit (and post a thank you). Anyway, here is the Microsoft KB for the solution: Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

WitchyAnne is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK,new to this side of things.

Should it really say {guid} or can it be a series of numbers and letters?

Mine don't look like
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
but instead where {guid} is, there is a string of numbers and letters.

Do I edit the values within these 2 entries?

jliming is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Already tried Microsoft solution
By the way, I did find and already tried the Microsoft KB solution:

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

with no success.

Jan

gtghip is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Already tried Microsoft solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliming View Post
By the way, I did find and already tried the Microsoft KB solution:

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

with no success.

Jan
Try this!

I had this problem with my laptop also.
I restarted the laptop with the wireless connection switch shut off.
After reboot was complete, then I turned the switch back on.
Then open control panel, Network & Sharing Center.
Should be your default network now & private network status.
Across from that click Customize.
At the bottom of the pop-up click 'Merge or delete Network Locations'.
In the pop-up if there is a Network that is not in use delete it, then close/cancel the remaining open windows.
I have a third party software firewall (Comodo) installed on my laptop which I use and thought I had the windows firewall disable but I guessed wrong.
So I went to start menu, control panel, windows firewall, and found that even though I had it turned off it was still monitoring my system.
To disable the Windows Firewall on a network connection:

1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
2. Click then select Windows Firewall.
3. Click Change Settings.
4. From the window that appears, click the Advanced tab.
5. Remove the check beside the connection that you want to disable the Windows Firewall for.
6. Click OK.
Then from the start menu, run command, type 'services.msc' without the quotation marks.
Find windows firewall, highlight and right click, then click properties.
At service status click Stop.
Then from the 'startup type' drop down menu click 'Disabled'.
Click Apply, then OK.
Reboot.
After the reboot I received a window asking what type of network I would like, I chose Home/Private.
Then Control Panel, Network & Sharing Center.
Should be a Private Network now, click Customize.
In open window click Merge or Delete Network locations.
If there are 2 click on the 1 not being used then click Merge.
In the open window select the 1 being used and click Merge, Apply/OK.
That's all folks, good to go.