multiple NICs; automatic metrics

Jim Millard

multiple NICs; automatic metrics
With versions prior to vista, it was possible to set a hierarchy or
order to multiple physical NICs; the net result was that if two or more
NICs were attached to the same network, one could be sure that the
higher priority NIC would end up with a lower metric for routing
purposes. This comes in especially handy when you have a laptop with
both a wired & wireless connection to the same LAN: The default for XP
(for some retarded reason) was to use the wireless before the wired, and
I'd always have to go into the advanced network settings and fix the
preference order, as the wired connection was always faster and more
reliable than the wireless.

I can't find anything in the Vista network setup to let me manage this,
but it also may be irrelevant: the result of "route print" shows that my
wireless adapter has a higher metric, giving priority to my wired
connection. Just the same, I'd like to be able to force it if it ever
reverts to the other way...
Steve Winograd [MVP]

Re: multiple NICs; automatic metrics
In article <OAPrXbASHHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Jim Millard
<millardjk@gmail.com> wrote:
>With versions prior to vista, it was possible to set a hierarchy or
>order to multiple physical NICs; the net result was that if two or more
>NICs were attached to the same network, one could be sure that the
>higher priority NIC would end up with a lower metric for routing
>purposes. This comes in especially handy when you have a laptop with
>both a wired & wireless connection to the same LAN: The default for XP
>(for some retarded reason) was to use the wireless before the wired, and
>I'd always have to go into the advanced network settings and fix the
>preference order, as the wired connection was always faster and more
>reliable than the wireless.
>
>I can't find anything in the Vista network setup to let me manage this,
>but it also may be irrelevant: the result of "route print" shows that my
>wireless adapter has a higher metric, giving priority to my wired
>connection. Just the same, I'd like to be able to force it if it ever
>reverts to the other way...

Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network
Connections, which is the same as the Network Connections folder in
XP. You can open a connection's TCP/IPv4 properties and set a metric
just like in XP.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com