reconnecting network drive in Vista Business

=?Utf-8?B?Tkc=?=

reconnecting network drive in Vista Business
I am having an issue where Vista Business is not reconnecting to a mapped
network drive after I restart. The network drive is on a NAS system that is
always on. I have selected the check box for "reconnect at login", and it
still is not working. My windows XP Pro machine is working fine and
reconnects every time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NG
Bruce Sanderson

Re: reconnecting network drive in Vista Business
I've noticed sometimes that the "balloon" about not all network drives being
re-connected lies. Also, sometimes the network drive in the navigation
(left) pane shows a red "X", but I can still access files and folders in the
mapped network drive.

Is the problem that the warning balloon appears or that if you attempt to
navigate to files on the mapped drive it fails?

When you set up the Mapped Network Drive, did you specify a user account and
password?

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"NG" <NG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having an issue where Vista Business is not reconnecting to a mapped
> network drive after I restart. The network drive is on a NAS system that
> is
> always on. I have selected the check box for "reconnect at login", and it
> still is not working. My windows XP Pro machine is working fine and
> reconnects every time.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> NG

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9yaw==?=

Re: reconnecting network drive in Vista Business

I have the same logon problem both with XP home and Vista Basic in relation
to a LaCie ethernet mini disk. With XP I find that for "user" fills in a
differen tuser name, that is one of the users define d for XP, while I logged
on with the name administrator on the LaCie disk. With Vista no user name is
shown, so I do not now if if Vista tried any.

"Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

> I've noticed sometimes that the "balloon" about not all network drives being
> re-connected lies. Also, sometimes the network drive in the navigation
> (left) pane shows a red "X", but I can still access files and folders in the
> mapped network drive.
>
> Is the problem that the warning balloon appears or that if you attempt to
> navigate to files on the mapped drive it fails?
>
> When you set up the Mapped Network Drive, did you specify a user account and
> password?
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "NG" <NG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having an issue where Vista Business is not reconnecting to a mapped
> > network drive after I restart. The network drive is on a NAS system that
> > is
> > always on. I have selected the check box for "reconnect at login", and it
> > still is not working. My windows XP Pro machine is working fine and
> > reconnects every time.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > NG

Bruce Sanderson

Re: reconnecting network drive in Vista Business
When Windows is asked to connect to a network share, it always sends the
username (and domain name if there is one) and password of the currently
logged on user. If this fails (the target computer doesn't "know" this
username and password - "authentication" fails), Windows displays a
credentials prompt for the user to supply a different username and password.

On Vista, the built-in user account called Administrator is "Disabled" by
default and can not be used to logon locally or connect to shares from
another computer; on XP it is "Enabled" by default.

When Windows XP or Vista is installed, a user account with the name
specified by the installer (or very first person to starts the computer), is
created This user account is added to the local Administrators group.

If you are not sure what username you are logged on with for any reason
(e.g. you get logged on automatically):
1. click Start, Run
2. key
cmd
press Enter
(or, luanch Command Prompt via All Programs, Accessories etc.)
3. key
set username
press Enter

This command will respond with the username of the currently logged on user.

I'm not familiar with the LaCie ethernet mini disk, but the Manual for it
http://www.lacie.com/download/manual...iskmini_en.pdf says that one
can use its built-in web site to configure "Users". You might want to
create a "User" on the mini disk that has the same username and password
that you logon to your XP or Vista computer with. This should avoid the
prompt for credentials you get when you connect to "shares" on it.

--

"Jork" <Jork@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have the same logon problem both with XP home and Vista Basic in
> relation
> to a LaCie ethernet mini disk. With XP I find that for "user" fills in a
> differen tuser name, that is one of the users define d for XP, while I
> logged
> on with the name administrator on the LaCie disk. With Vista no user name
> is
> shown, so I do not now if if Vista tried any.
>
> "Bruce Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> I've noticed sometimes that the "balloon" about not all network drives
>> being
>> re-connected lies. Also, sometimes the network drive in the navigation
>> (left) pane shows a red "X", but I can still access files and folders in
>> the
>> mapped network drive.
>>
>> Is the problem that the warning balloon appears or that if you attempt to
>> navigate to files on the mapped drive it fails?
>>
>> When you set up the Mapped Network Drive, did you specify a user account
>> and
>> password?
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
>> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>>
>> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>>

>> "NG" <NG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having an issue where Vista Business is not reconnecting to a
>> >mapped
>> > network drive after I restart. The network drive is on a NAS system
>> > that
>> > is
>> > always on. I have selected the check box for "reconnect at login", and
>> > it
>> > still is not working. My windows XP Pro machine is working fine and
>> > reconnects every time.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > NG

=?Utf-8?B?Tkc=?=

Re: reconnecting network drive in Vista Business
It was both the balloon and the actual connection. Whenever I went to
"computer" it showed the red X through the network drive. Then when I would
click on one of the drive icons it would prompt for a user name and password.

I just set up Vista on this machine, so it took me a while to realize that
while I had set up a user account, I had not set up a password for it. Once
I did that and restarted, everything worked perfectly (Am I allowed to say
that a Microsoft product is working perfectly right at launch? :>) ). Now
when I log into my user account, even though the password is different, Vista
still logs into the NAS server using the user name and password I had
provided during the mapping of the drive.

The problem has been solved - it was a simple user account configuration error

Thanks to everyone who replied.

NG