Able to access shares from Vista, but not acces Vista shares.

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZy4=?=

Able to access shares from Vista, but not acces Vista shares.
Seems im stumped right now. In WinXP im able to access a share on a linux box
no problem and vice versa. When i boot into Vista, i can access the share
that is located on the linux box (provided by samba) but i can not access the
share created on the Vista side through my linux laptop. I have tried pretty
much everything i know and have googled far and wide and im at a loss. Is
this a bug or a feature? Or am i missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks,

Greg.
=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZy4=?=

RE: Able to access shares from Vista, but not acces Vista shares.
Oh just to add as well, its not that i don't discover or see the computer, i
see it. But when i try to browse the share, it asks for a Username and
Password, even though i have DISABLED password protection.

I have tried creating other users with just letter names, and passwords,
then adding them to the share, and using that info for the prompt and it
would still reject. Thats the real main issue. I don't know if its a
misconfiguration with Vista or its my laptop thats the problem.

However, i have used three different applications on the laptop (the linux
machine) access the share and all came up with the same issue. Asking for a
Username/Password even tho that has been disabled in Vista.

Greg.

"Greg." wrote:

> Seems im stumped right now. In WinXP im able to access a share on a linux box
> no problem and vice versa. When i boot into Vista, i can access the share
> that is located on the linux box (provided by samba) but i can not access the
> share created on the Vista side through my linux laptop. I have tried pretty
> much everything i know and have googled far and wide and im at a loss. Is
> this a bug or a feature? Or am i missing a setting somewhere?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg.

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Re: Able to access shares from Vista, but not acces Vista shares.
In article <852F8DCC-21BF-4A81-AE80-B85141717AE0@microsoft.com>, Greg.
<Greg.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Seems im stumped right now. In WinXP im able to access a share on a linux box
>no problem and vice versa. When i boot into Vista, i can access the share
>that is located on the linux box (provided by samba) but i can not access the
>share created on the Vista side through my linux laptop. I have tried pretty
>much everything i know and have googled far and wide and im at a loss. Is
>this a bug or a feature? Or am i missing a setting somewhere?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Greg.

The problem is that, by default, Vista only allows NTLMv2
authentication for network shares.

The solution is to either configure Vista to use LM and NTLM, or to
configure Samba to use NTLMv2. For details, see:

Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZy4=?=

Re: Able to access shares from Vista, but not acces Vista shares.
I have the already set, and Samba is configured to use the NTLMv2 auth. As
stated before i have searched everywhere and read everything. And i have
tried every configuration setting pssible.

Someone please help.

Greg.

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> In article <852F8DCC-21BF-4A81-AE80-B85141717AE0@microsoft.com>, Greg.
> <Greg.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >Seems im stumped right now. In WinXP im able to access a share on a linux box
> >no problem and vice versa. When i boot into Vista, i can access the share
> >that is located on the linux box (provided by samba) but i can not access the
> >share created on the Vista side through my linux laptop. I have tried pretty
> >much everything i know and have googled far and wide and im at a loss. Is
> >this a bug or a feature? Or am i missing a setting somewhere?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Greg.

> The problem is that, by default, Vista only allows NTLMv2
> authentication for network shares.
>
> The solution is to either configure Vista to use LM and NTLM, or to
> configure Samba to use NTLMv2. For details, see:
>
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

=?Utf-8?B?bmlja21hbjYwMg==?=

Re: Able to access shares from Vista, but not acces Vista shares.
Hi Greg,
After countless searching and trying just about everything imaginable, I
have come to a dead end on the exact same issue as you. I get the username,
domain, and password prompt and it will never accept anything. Created new
usernames to match existing vista usernames and passwords, didnt work.
upgraded samba to support ntlm version 2, still nothing. downgrade vista to
use version 1 of network lan manager, still nothing.

My situation is happening on my yellow dog version 5 install of linux on my
ps3. I was originally wondering if Microsoft had done something to disable
ps3s from becoming media center hubs and thus disabled network file sharing.
It's definitely frustrating because I upgraded to vista when i believe if I
would have stayed with xp, the networking would work. Come on microsoft, you
owe us on this one.

Anyways, if anyone finds a solution to this....please share..

"Greg." wrote:

> I have the already set, and Samba is configured to use the NTLMv2 auth. As
> stated before i have searched everywhere and read everything. And i have
> tried every configuration setting pssible.
>
> Someone please help.
>
> Greg.
>
> "Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > In article <852F8DCC-21BF-4A81-AE80-B85141717AE0@microsoft.com>, Greg.
> > <Greg.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > >Seems im stumped right now. In WinXP im able to access a share on a linux box
> > >no problem and vice versa. When i boot into Vista, i can access the share
> > >that is located on the linux box (provided by samba) but i can not access the
> > >share created on the Vista side through my linux laptop. I have tried pretty
> > >much everything i know and have googled far and wide and im at a loss. Is
> > >this a bug or a feature? Or am i missing a setting somewhere?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >
> > >Greg.

> > The problem is that, by default, Vista only allows NTLMv2
> > authentication for network shares.
> >
> > The solution is to either configure Vista to use LM and NTLM, or to
> > configure Samba to use NTLMv2. For details, see:
> >
> > http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html
> > --
> > Best Wishes,
> > Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> > for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> > addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
> >
> > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZy4=?=

Re: Able to access shares from Vista, but not acces Vista shares.
Seems i have found out that Vista DOES NOT allow connections from linux via
samba, OSX and what not will work just fine, but i read an artical that
stated that Vista (in beta form did work to some extent) but support has been
completely removed in RTM. Bleh i removed Vista after endless frustration,
that and Bluetooth doesn't work in any way at all either. So i just formated
and installed Kubuntu on the whole HDD.

Greg.