Automatic connection for Vista peer-to-peer (ad hoc)?

=?Utf-8?B?R09NRiBCcm93c2VyIFVJ?=

Automatic connection for Vista peer-to-peer (ad hoc)?
I'm running ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on XP Pro. (I cannot get Vista
to connect to it using TKIP, so I gave up on that and fell back to WEP). I
cannot for the life of me get Vista to automatically connect to the ad hoc
network? I can add the peer-to-peer network, and get it working with ICS,
but it needs to be manually connected... everytime. How do I make Vista
automatically connect to the ad hoc network everytime? In Windows XP, the
option for preferred networks was under Properties, Connection Tab,
[Automatic connection]. Where is this option in Vista please? Thanks.
stefan.edstrom@gmail.com

Re: Automatic connection for Vista peer-to-peer (ad hoc)?
On 2 Feb, 22:59, GOMF Browser UI
<GOMFBrowse...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm running ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on XP Pro. (I cannot getVista
> to connect to it using TKIP, so I gave up on that and fell back to WEP). I
> cannot for the life of me getVistatoautomaticallyconnect to theadhoc
> network? I can add the peer-to-peer network, and get it working with ICS,
> but it needs to be manually connected... everytime. How do I makeVistaautomaticallyconnect to theadhocnetwork everytime? InWindowsXP, the
> option for preferred networks was under Properties, Connection Tab,
> [Automatic connection]. Where is this option inVistaplease? Thanks.

I have same annoying problem. Have you found any solution yet?

=?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGEgZGUgU2FkZQ==?=

Re: Automatic connection for Vista peer-to-peer (ad hoc)?
No, I haven't found a solution, it's very irritating. It seems no one tested
wireless ICS on Vista at all. Although it's a good thing I'm using XP as my
ICS host because using Vista as a wireless ICS host is completely useless. I
tried seting up a Vista machine as a wireless ICS host and it constantly
stops the (peer-to-peer) network. This is really idiotic! The point of
having a wireless ICS host is so that other PCs and laptops can connect to it
to share the internet connection... but Vista, as a host, kills the network
everytime after disconnect, crazy! What were they thinking? Obviously, they
weren't, no one tested wireless ICS hosting... yet it's a feature that Vista
documents and boasts about!

Now, with my XP wireless ICS host, my new Vista laptop has to reconnect
manually everytime. I obviously can't and won't upgrade any of my machines
to Vista.

"stefan.edstrom@gmail.com" wrote:
> I have same annoying problem. Have you found any solution yet?

=?Utf-8?B?VHNhdWtwYWV0cmE=?=

Re: Automatic connection for Vista peer-to-peer (ad hoc)?
Yes, unfortunately it is a "feature" of windows to automatically close the
ad-hoc network when "everyone else" disconnects (but mine apparently doesn't
follow this, because it stays on when out of range and waits for others to
reconnect >:O )

But that's not the problem. I Have gotten ICS to work properly in the effect
that it is seen as an ad-hoc and other users can use the network (and
internet) with it. However, I also cannot cause the network to start
automatically either. (Ideally, the server would automatically power-on and
get users to the internet without anyone logging on).

I can't seem to find any windows utility to do this, though.