WIndows XP/Vista Networking.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
I know there has been a lot of posts on this subject, but none that have
helped me so my apologies if this is redundent of past posts.

I just bought a new Vista Home Premium HP laptop. Got it on release day, Jan
30. It refuses to see any XP computers on the network.

I have internet access, it works on the vista laptop, but cant see any
non-Vista computers on the network its accessing the internet through.

I tried installing the LLTP protocol on one of the XP computers..no go.
I tried taking down the firewalls..still no luck
All computers are in the same workgroup
Network discovery is on and all the file/printer/media sharing buttons are on.
XP computers are XP Pro.
tried connecting through different lines/wireless routers on the same
network(I am in a fraternity house and we have 3 wireless routers all
connecting to the same base network/internet router.)
The XP computers can see my vista machine, however.

One of my brothers was a Beta tester for Vista and has been running vista
for some time. He has ultimate and can see everyone,(even the XP Pro comps) I
can see him, and he can see me, but I cannot see the other computers. He has
taken a look at my laptop and is just as confused as i am in this matter. He
has no idea why my Vista laptop wont work.

Thanks for any help
Bob
=?Utf-8?B?R2VuaXVz?=

RE: WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
That's the same problem I am currently encountering.
Same version of Vista - Windows Vista Home Premiium.
I bought the laptop Jan.30 with the company supplier of Aspire 5610 series.

I have 1 network at home, with workgroup seted same on all my pc's.

I have spent over 8 hours oover the last few days trying to figure out the
probelm, and it haas brought to my attention that buying windows vista was a
bad choice.

I hope this problem could be solved ASAP. It is driving me crazy because I
have a presentation next monday, and I need to use this new Vista laptop - my
only laptop to do the presentation. The presentation is on my desktop, and I
don't have any usb flash drives.
=?Utf-8?B?VGFtbXk=?=

RE: WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
I also bought an HP notebook on January 30, (with Vista Home Premium) and
have been trying ever since to install a network printer. I'm logged onto
the network to the extent that I can access network programs, and the
internet works. But, the new Vista notebook cannot see any other computers
or printers. As long as I never need to print anything, I guess I'm in good
shape!
I've checked all of the obvious things, (workgroup name the same, sharing
turned on, etc) but since the setup screens for the networking are all so
much different, I must be missing something everytime.

"Genius" wrote:

> That's the same problem I am currently encountering.
> Same version of Vista - Windows Vista Home Premiium.
> I bought the laptop Jan.30 with the company supplier of Aspire 5610 series.
>
> I have 1 network at home, with workgroup seted same on all my pc's.
>
> I have spent over 8 hours oover the last few days trying to figure out the
> probelm, and it haas brought to my attention that buying windows vista was a
> bad choice.
>

> I hope this problem could be solved ASAP. It is driving me crazy because I
> have a presentation next monday, and I need to use this new Vista laptop - my
> only laptop to do the presentation. The presentation is on my desktop, and I
> don't have any usb flash drives.

=?Utf-8?B?R2VuaXVz?=

RE: WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
I FOUND THE SOLUTION BY MYSELF!

I was browsing through many forums and windows help and support program and
microsoft windows vista tech center, finally with luck would have it, the
solution is here.

Just go to here, and you need to install a software on Win XP to enable LLTD
Responder that allows Win XP to respond to Windows Vista.
=?Utf-8?B?R2VuaXVz?=

RE: WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
Dear Bob,
If you are using Norton or any other firewalls, turn it off, norton
firewalls are blocking network access as well.

That should work. Try a few times.

My Laptop came with norton, and when I disabld norton web browsing section,
everything worked.

Good Luck~! Bon Courage
=?Utf-8?B?VGFieg==?=

RE: WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!! AND THANK YOU AGAIN

I'm NOT loosing my mind (how comforting!)

Tabz

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

RE: WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
Thank you so much!!!! IT was Norton( I had already done the LLTP thing.) my
comp came with Norton and I didnt even think to check it....turning of
Norton's Firewall worked!!! thanks again I appreciate it

Bob

"Genius" wrote:

> I FOUND THE SOLUTION BY MYSELF!
>
> I was browsing through many forums and windows help and support program and
> microsoft windows vista tech center, finally with luck would have it, the
> solution is here.
>
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
>

> Just go to here, and you need to install a software on Win XP to enable LLTD
> Responder that allows Win XP to respond to Windows Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?bGF1cmllZw==?=

RE: WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
I did this and now the vista computer recognizes the xp laptop, but laptop
still will not see printer. can you help me know what to do on the laptop

"Genius" wrote:

> I FOUND THE SOLUTION BY MYSELF!
>
> I was browsing through many forums and windows help and support program and
> microsoft windows vista tech center, finally with luck would have it, the
> solution is here.
>
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
>

> Just go to here, and you need to install a software on Win XP to enable LLTD
> Responder that allows Win XP to respond to Windows Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?aHlkcm8xOTU2?=

RE: WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
Having sharing allowed and all the other required share/network settings
correct in Vista and XP machines I could not access Vista shared
foldews/printers from XP machines, however vice-versa I could. Now, after
three days I found the solution:

My Visata machine came with McAfee antivirus preloaded. Both the Windows and
McAfee firewalls were on. As soon as I disabled the McAfee firewall the
network sharing worked as intended!

Doing a little follow-up research, I then turned off Windows firewall and
re-enabled the McAfee firewall, as well as changed the security level setting
in McAfee. At this point I was back to the "no-access" problem so I disabled
McAfee firewall and re-enabled Windows firewall. The network worked like a
carm once again. Now I assume there is an exception check box like "Allow
network folder/pinter sharing" in McAfee's firewall like there is in windows
firewall if you are wanting to use McAfee's firewall instead. Also, this may
be the same issue if you have some other another firewall enabled.

"Bob" wrote:

> I know there has been a lot of posts on this subject, but none that have
> helped me so my apologies if this is redundent of past posts.
>
> I just bought a new Vista Home Premium HP laptop. Got it on release day, Jan
> 30. It refuses to see any XP computers on the network.
>
> I have internet access, it works on the vista laptop, but cant see any
> non-Vista computers on the network its accessing the internet through.
>
> I tried installing the LLTP protocol on one of the XP computers..no go.
> I tried taking down the firewalls..still no luck
> All computers are in the same workgroup
> Network discovery is on and all the file/printer/media sharing buttons are on.
> XP computers are XP Pro.
> tried connecting through different lines/wireless routers on the same
> network(I am in a fraternity house and we have 3 wireless routers all
> connecting to the same base network/internet router.)
> The XP computers can see my vista machine, however.
>
> One of my brothers was a Beta tester for Vista and has been running vista
> for some time. He has ultimate and can see everyone,(even the XP Pro comps) I
> can see him, and he can see me, but I cannot see the other computers. He has
> taken a look at my laptop and is just as confused as i am in this matter. He
> has no idea why my Vista laptop wont work.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Bob

Bruce Sanderson

Re: WIndows XP/Vista Networking.
The LLTD Responder is absolutely NOT REQUIRED for pre-Vista Windows
computers to interact with Vista via Windows Networking.

The LLTD responder is only needed if you want pre-Vista computers to be
properly placed in the Network Map window - the document at
only discusses and only applies to, the Network Map feature in Vista,. not
any other networking capability.

If you can not access folder or printer shares on Vista computers from a
pre-Vista computer, or vice-versa, the problem is not the lack of the LLTD
Responder, it's something else.

You may need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP for TCP/IP V4 in the Network
Connection's properties:

1. right click the Network icon in the Notification Area
2. click Network and Sharing Center
3. click Manage network connections
4. make sure that Network Discovery is On (note - in a Windows Domain, this
may need to be enabled by an administrator using a GPO)
5. make sure that File Sharing is On
6. make sure that Public folder sharing is Off
7. if you have a printer locally installed that you want other computers to
use, make sure Printer Sharing is On
8. click Manage network connections (left pane)
9. right click the Local Area Connection (or whatever network connection is
in use - e.g. a wireless connection)
10. select Properties
11. click Continue in the UAC prompt (or supply Administrative username and
password)
12. select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
13. click Properties
14. click Advanced...
14. select the WINS tab
15. select the Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP radio button
16. click OK; click OK; click Close - this change will take affect
immediately - no need to logoff or restart

Also, as stated in other posts in this thread and others - make sure you
don't have a third party firewall blocking the ports or programs needed

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders