join domain problems

Roberto

join domain problems
We have a small domain with a fully patched SBS2003, used to be we
could join a new XP machine to the Domain with
http://[servername] connectcomputer, but after setting up Vista Business
on a Notebook and running this command we get the following error
" you need to be a local domain admin to do this" [ may not be the
exact msg]
But the account attempting this has admin privileges, I tried starting
in safe mode thinking
I could do this using the default admin account but it wasn't an
option on the welcome screen.
How do we achieve this ?

rgds
Roberto

Richard G. Harper

Re: join domain problems
Create a shortcut to the command prompt on the desktop, then right-click
that shortcut and select "Run as Administrator", then attempt your command
again. That should get you moving again.

"Roberto" <whoisit@no.spam.net> wrote in message
> We have a small domain with a fully patched SBS2003, used to be we
> could join a new XP machine to the Domain with
> http://[servername] connectcomputer, but after setting up Vista
> Business on a Notebook and running this command we get the following
> error
> " you need to be a local domain admin to do this" [ may not be the
> exact msg]
> But the account attempting this has admin privileges, I tried
> starting in safe mode thinking
> I could do this using the default admin account but it wasn't an
> option on the welcome screen.
> How do we achieve this ?
>
> rgds
> Roberto

Roberto

Re: join domain problems

> Create a shortcut to the command prompt on the desktop, then right-click
> that shortcut and select "Run as Administrator", then attempt your command
> again. That should get you moving again.

Thanks Richard
got on the domain by R/Clicking Internet Explorer and using runas

rgds
Roberto

> "Roberto" <whoisit@no.spam.net> wrote in message
>> We have a small domain with a fully patched SBS2003, used to be we
>> could join a new XP machine to the Domain with
>> http://[servername] connectcomputer, but after setting up Vista
>> Business on a Notebook and running this command we get the following
>> error
>> " you need to be a local domain admin to do this" [ may not be the
>> exact msg]
>> But the account attempting this has admin privileges, I tried
>> starting in safe mode thinking
>> I could do this using the default admin account but it wasn't an
>> option on the welcome screen.
>> How do we achieve this ?
>>
>> rgds
>> Roberto

Richard G. Harper

Re: join domain problems
That works too. :-)

> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> Create a shortcut to the command prompt on the desktop, then right-click
>> that shortcut and select "Run as Administrator", then attempt your
>> command again. That should get you moving again.

> Thanks Richard
> got on the domain by R/Clicking Internet Explorer and using runas
>
> rgds
> Roberto
>

>> "Roberto" <whoisit@no.spam.net> wrote in message
>>> We have a small domain with a fully patched SBS2003, used to be we
>>> could join a new XP machine to the Domain with
>>> http://[servername] connectcomputer, but after setting up Vista
>>> Business on a Notebook and running this command we get the
>>> following error
>>> " you need to be a local domain admin to do this" [ may not be
>>> the exact msg]
>>> But the account attempting this has admin privileges, I tried
>>> starting in safe mode thinking
>>> I could do this using the default admin account but it wasn't an
>>> option on the welcome screen.
>>> How do we achieve this ?
>>>
>>> rgds
>>> Roberto

Roberto

Re: join domain problems

> That works too. :-)

So looks like MS have tightened up on what basic admin accounts can do
in Vista [shades of root in Linux]

rgds
Roberto