Printer Sharing between xp and Vista

Gay Lynne Kegan

Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
I have a few printers connected to my xp machine. I can see the printer on
my Vista computer but when I go to install it I get an access denied
message. What do I do so I can use my printers?

*** Lynne

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
*** Lynne,

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. A few folks in other posts are finding
that by adjusting their firewalls, the problem is solved. If you're running
OneCare, do the following (thanks, Tom!):

Windows Live OneCare ->
Change OneCare Settinge ->
Firewall connection tool ->
Tick relevant options (Network discovery, file and print settings,
etc) ->
OK ->
Advanced Settings ->
Change file sharing from 'Do not share files and printers" ->
OK ->
OK

Please try that and let us know!

"*** Lynne Kegan" wrote:

> I have a few printers connected to my xp machine. I can see the printer on
> my Vista computer but when I go to install it I get an access denied
> message. What do I do so I can use my printers?
>
> *** Lynne

Gay Lynne Kegan

Re: Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
I am using the firewall on my netgear router. I turned off the windows
firewall.

"Kim [MS]" <KimMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> *** Lynne,
>
> I'm sorry you're experiencing this. A few folks in other posts are
> finding
> that by adjusting their firewalls, the problem is solved. If you're
> running
> OneCare, do the following (thanks, Tom!):
>
> Windows Live OneCare ->
> Change OneCare Settinge ->
> Firewall connection tool ->
> Tick relevant options (Network discovery, file and print settings,
> etc) ->
> OK ->
> Advanced Settings ->
> Change file sharing from 'Do not share files and printers" ->
> OK ->
> OK
>
> Please try that and let us know!

> "*** Lynne Kegan" wrote:
>
>> I have a few printers connected to my xp machine. I can see the printer
>> on
>> my Vista computer but when I go to install it I get an access denied
>> message. What do I do so I can use my printers?
>>
>> *** Lynne

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
Did that work for you? Let us know.

Thanks!

"*** Lynne Kegan" wrote:

> I am using the firewall on my netgear router. I turned off the windows
> firewall.
>
> "Kim [MS]" <KimMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > *** Lynne,
> >
> > I'm sorry you're experiencing this. A few folks in other posts are
> > finding
> > that by adjusting their firewalls, the problem is solved. If you're
> > running
> > OneCare, do the following (thanks, Tom!):
> >
> > Windows Live OneCare ->
> > Change OneCare Settinge ->
> > Firewall connection tool ->
> > Tick relevant options (Network discovery, file and print settings,
> > etc) ->
> > OK ->
> > Advanced Settings ->
> > Change file sharing from 'Do not share files and printers" ->
> > OK ->
> > OK
> >
> > Please try that and let us know!

> > "*** Lynne Kegan" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a few printers connected to my xp machine. I can see the printer
> >> on
> >> my Vista computer but when I go to install it I get an access denied
> >> message. What do I do so I can use my printers?
> >>
> >> *** Lynne

Kerry Brown

Re: Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
Make sure the XP machine has a user account with the same username and
password as you are using on Vista. Another possible problem is drivers. If
Vista doesn't have built in drivers for the printer it tries to load the
drivers from the XP computer. This probably won't work and shows up as
different errors depending on the printer. Sometimes you can get it to work
by installing a local printer that is compatible then changing the port in
the printer properties to the printer share (i.e.
\\computername\printename). What printers are we talking about?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"*** Lynne Kegan" <GLKegan@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a few printers connected to my xp machine. I can see the printer on
>my Vista computer but when I go to install it I get an access denied
>message. What do I do so I can use my printers?
>
> *** Lynne

Gay Lynne Kegan

Re: Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
It still didn't work. I get an access denied note.

> Did that work for you? Let us know.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "*** Lynne Kegan" wrote:
>
>> I am using the firewall on my netgear router. I turned off the windows
>> firewall.
>>
>> "Kim [MS]" <KimMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > *** Lynne,
>> >
>> > I'm sorry you're experiencing this. A few folks in other posts are
>> > finding
>> > that by adjusting their firewalls, the problem is solved. If you're
>> > running
>> > OneCare, do the following (thanks, Tom!):
>> >
>> > Windows Live OneCare ->
>> > Change OneCare Settinge ->
>> > Firewall connection tool ->
>> > Tick relevant options (Network discovery, file and print settings,
>> > etc) ->
>> > OK ->
>> > Advanced Settings ->
>> > Change file sharing from 'Do not share files and printers" ->
>> > OK ->
>> > OK
>> >
>> > Please try that and let us know!

=?Utf-8?B?bWdzYg==?=

Re: Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
Kerry's suggestion worked for me. I have a Canon MP130 on a XP machine that
had been shared successfully with other XP machines. After upgrading to Vista
on one PC, I got the "Access Denied" message when trying to use the MP130 on
Vista. File sharing worked fine between the two PCs. I did the following:

1. Downloaded Vista drivers for MP130 from Canon
2. Installed the MP130 locally on the Vista PC (which for Canon means having
to plug in the USB cable - ugh).
3. Re-connected MP130 to XP PC
4. On the Vista PC, opened the properties page for the MP130.
5. Select Port tab
6. Choose "Add a port"
7. Choose "Local port" (yes, not obvious, but don't use TCP/IP)
8. Type in the share name: \\xp-pc-name\printer-name
9. Make sure the new port is selected (checked)

Mark

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Make sure the XP machine has a user account with the same username and
> password as you are using on Vista. Another possible problem is drivers. If
> Vista doesn't have built in drivers for the printer it tries to load the
> drivers from the XP computer. This probably won't work and shows up as
> different errors depending on the printer. Sometimes you can get it to work
> by installing a local printer that is compatible then changing the port in
> the printer properties to the printer share (i.e.
> \\computername\printename). What printers are we talking about?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "*** Lynne Kegan" <GLKegan@cox.net> wrote in message
> >I have a few printers connected to my xp machine. I can see the printer on
> >my Vista computer but when I go to install it I get an access denied
> >message. What do I do so I can use my printers?
> >
> > *** Lynne

=?Utf-8?B?d2RhbmllbHM3NA==?=

Re: Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
I've tried those and have had no success
any other ideas? I've tried on several different networks..at home and
office...it lets me load and then when I try to print anything it says
communication error?
"mgsb" wrote:

> Kerry's suggestion worked for me. I have a Canon MP130 on a XP machine that
> had been shared successfully with other XP machines. After upgrading to Vista
> on one PC, I got the "Access Denied" message when trying to use the MP130 on
> Vista. File sharing worked fine between the two PCs. I did the following:
>
> 1. Downloaded Vista drivers for MP130 from Canon
> 2. Installed the MP130 locally on the Vista PC (which for Canon means having
> to plug in the USB cable - ugh).
> 3. Re-connected MP130 to XP PC
> 4. On the Vista PC, opened the properties page for the MP130.
> 5. Select Port tab
> 6. Choose "Add a port"
> 7. Choose "Local port" (yes, not obvious, but don't use TCP/IP)
> 8. Type in the share name: \\xp-pc-name\printer-name
> 9. Make sure the new port is selected (checked)
>
> Mark
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
> > Make sure the XP machine has a user account with the same username and
> > password as you are using on Vista. Another possible problem is drivers. If
> > Vista doesn't have built in drivers for the printer it tries to load the
> > drivers from the XP computer. This probably won't work and shows up as
> > different errors depending on the printer. Sometimes you can get it to work
> > by installing a local printer that is compatible then changing the port in
> > the printer properties to the printer share (i.e.
> > \\computername\printename). What printers are we talking about?
> >
> > --
> > Kerry Brown
> > Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> > http://www.vistahelp.ca
> >

> > "*** Lynne Kegan" <GLKegan@cox.net> wrote in message
> > >I have a few printers connected to my xp machine. I can see the printer on
> > >my Vista computer but when I go to install it I get an access denied
> > >message. What do I do so I can use my printers?
> > >
> > > *** Lynne

Rich

Re: Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
Kerry's suggestion also worked for me. I have a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn.
The HP tech support solution was to connect the printer directly to the
network instead of my preference of having the printer connected to a PC
(running XP) on the network. I also connected the HP directly to my Vista
system and got a successful installation. I then followed the numbered steps
below to add a port and was able to print across the network to the shared
printer connected to a PC (running XP). One additional step I needed to make
was to ensure the printer was selected for online as opposed to offline
operation.

"mgsb" wrote:

> Kerry's suggestion worked for me. I have a Canon MP130 on a XP machine that
> had been shared successfully with other XP machines. After upgrading to Vista
> on one PC, I got the "Access Denied" message when trying to use the MP130 on
> Vista. File sharing worked fine between the two PCs. I did the following:
>
> 1. Downloaded Vista drivers for MP130 from Canon
> 2. Installed the MP130 locally on the Vista PC (which for Canon means having
> to plug in the USB cable - ugh).
> 3. Re-connected MP130 to XP PC
> 4. On the Vista PC, opened the properties page for the MP130.
> 5. Select Port tab
> 6. Choose "Add a port"
> 7. Choose "Local port" (yes, not obvious, but don't use TCP/IP)
> 8. Type in the share name: \\xp-pc-name\printer-name
> 9. Make sure the new port is selected (checked)
>
> Mark
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
> > Make sure the XP machine has a user account with the same username and
> > password as you are using on Vista. Another possible problem is drivers. If
> > Vista doesn't have built in drivers for the printer it tries to load the
> > drivers from the XP computer. This probably won't work and shows up as
> > different errors depending on the printer. Sometimes you can get it to work
> > by installing a local printer that is compatible then changing the port in
> > the printer properties to the printer share (i.e.
> > \\computername\printename). What printers are we talking about?
> >
> > --
> > Kerry Brown
> > Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> > http://www.vistahelp.ca
> >

> > "*** Lynne Kegan" <GLKegan@cox.net> wrote in message
> > >I have a few printers connected to my xp machine. I can see the printer on
> > >my Vista computer but when I go to install it I get an access denied
> > >message. What do I do so I can use my printers?
> > >
> > > *** Lynne

Sarah

RE: Printer Sharing between xp and Vista
Hi ***. I had this problem myself and nearly went nuts trying to resolve it.
To install this printer, open the control panel, go to the printers folder,
click add new printer, click add a local printer, click create new port,
leave it at local port, in the enter port name box, type the path to your
printer. (for instance, mine is \\your-9k1ay6x2a2\Printer2) then click ok
and you will have it.