Mixed Vista/XP with wired/wireless Network Trouble

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmsgSGVua2Vs?=

Mixed Vista/XP with wired/wireless Network Trouble
Hello,

I'm running a desktop with XP home wired to a Linksys WRT54G wireless/4port
router. I also have another desktop with XP Home (wired) hooked to the same
router, and they're in a windows workgroup called "Mshome" (creatively
enough!). I can share files just fine between the two.

I'm also now running a notebook with Vista Home Premium via wireless (same
router).

I can't for the life of me figure out how to file share between the the
notebook and either desktop. . In my Network and Sharing Center, Network
discovery, File sharing, Public Folder sharing, printer sharing, and media
sharing are all on. Password protected sharing is off.

Problem is that I can't see any of the other machines (XP) on the network.
From the XP machines, I can't see the vista notebook. I've tried restarting,
refreshing, and all sorts of stuff, but no dice.

Can anyone possibly help me? Thanks in advance.

Frank
Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: Mixed Vista/XP with wired/wireless Network Trouble
Hello Frank,

Do you have a firewall either Windows Firewall or a third party installed?
If so, make sure it is properly configured for the local area network. An
improperly configured firewall can block file and printer sharing.

Try connecting the Vista machine this way. On the other machine, try one of
the following commands as shown below:

Click Start -> Run -> and type \\Vista

Click Start -> Run -> and type \\192.168.x.x (the ip address of the Vista
computer)

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

"Frank Henkel" <Frank Henkel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm running a desktop with XP home wired to a Linksys WRT54G
> wireless/4port
> router. I also have another desktop with XP Home (wired) hooked to the
> same
> router, and they're in a windows workgroup called "Mshome" (creatively
> enough!). I can share files just fine between the two.
>
> I'm also now running a notebook with Vista Home Premium via wireless (same
> router).
>
> I can't for the life of me figure out how to file share between the the
> notebook and either desktop. . In my Network and Sharing Center, Network
> discovery, File sharing, Public Folder sharing, printer sharing, and media
> sharing are all on. Password protected sharing is off.
>
> Problem is that I can't see any of the other machines (XP) on the network.
> From the XP machines, I can't see the vista notebook. I've tried
> restarting,
> refreshing, and all sorts of stuff, but no dice.
>
> Can anyone possibly help me? Thanks in advance.
>
> Frank

mircea dan

Re: Mixed Vista/XP with wired/wireless Network Trouble
i had the same problem (almoast)

it can be solved but u got tp be more carefull at details
good luck

"Frank Henkel" <Frank Henkel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm running a desktop with XP home wired to a Linksys WRT54G
> wireless/4port
> router. I also have another desktop with XP Home (wired) hooked to the
> same
> router, and they're in a windows workgroup called "Mshome" (creatively
> enough!). I can share files just fine between the two.
>
> I'm also now running a notebook with Vista Home Premium via wireless (same
> router).
>
> I can't for the life of me figure out how to file share between the the
> notebook and either desktop. . In my Network and Sharing Center, Network
> discovery, File sharing, Public Folder sharing, printer sharing, and media
> sharing are all on. Password protected sharing is off.
>
> Problem is that I can't see any of the other machines (XP) on the network.
> From the XP machines, I can't see the vista notebook. I've tried
> restarting,
> refreshing, and all sorts of stuff, but no dice.
>
> Can anyone possibly help me? Thanks in advance.
>
> Frank

Tom John

On 2 Feb, 18:50, "mircea dan" <bam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i had the same problem (almoast)
>
> it can be solved but u got tp be more carefull at details
> good luck

How about supplying some of the details on how you solved it?

Cheers

Tom

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Mixed Vista/XP with wired/wireless Network Trouble
Tom,

This Technet article might help. Work through the steps:

Please let us know if it doesn't help.

Thanks!

"Tom John" wrote:

> On 2 Feb, 18:50, "mircea dan" <bam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i had the same problem (almoast)
> >
> > it can be solved but u got tp be more carefull at details
> > good luck

> How about supplying some of the details on how you solved it?
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Tom John

On Feb 2, 8:31 pm, Kim [MS] <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> This Technet article might help. Work through the steps: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx

Hey Kim

Thanks for this, I've actually found it before, everything's set up
fine on the two Vista computers... both are connected to the router
(one wired and the other wireless) but can't see each other. I've
turned off the firewall on both computer and all the Sharing and
Discovery is enabled with minimul permissions in the Network and
Sharing Center. I installed OneCare on both boxes, so i think i'm
going to uninstall it and see if that's causing the problem. I'll post
back the results.

Cheers

Tom

Tom John

Re: Mixed Vista/XP with wired/wireless Network Trouble
My Solution:

Turned out it was OneCare. There are some options hidden away that
needed to be enabled:

Windows Live OneCare ->
Change OneCare Settinge ->
Firewall connection tool ->
Tick relevant options (Network discovery, file and print settings,
etc) ->
OK ->
Advanced Settings ->
Change file sharing from 'Do not share files and printers" ->
OK ->
OK

Done.

This fixed it all up for me and also allowed the XP box to see the
Vista boxes ok.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers

Tom

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Mixed Vista/XP with wired/wireless Network Trouble
Tom,

That's really good news! Thanks for working this through. I will post your
results (OneCare firewall settings) to a few other posts in this NG for folks
who are having similar problems.

Thanks again!

"Tom John" wrote:

> My Solution:
>
> Turned out it was OneCare. There are some options hidden away that
> needed to be enabled:
>
> Windows Live OneCare ->
> Change OneCare Settinge ->
> Firewall connection tool ->
> Tick relevant options (Network discovery, file and print settings,
> etc) ->
> OK ->
> Advanced Settings ->
> Change file sharing from 'Do not share files and printers" ->
> OK ->
> OK
>
> Done.
>
> This fixed it all up for me and also allowed the XP box to see the
> Vista boxes ok.
>
> Hope this helps someone else.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmsgSGVua2Vs?=

Re: Mixed Vista/XP with wired/wireless Network Trouble
An update to my orignial problem:

I do not have OneCare loaded on my machine (that I can determine). My
notebook came w/ vista Home Premium preinstalled.

I changed my network type to "Private" per Kim's link, and renamed the
workgroup "MSHOME". Via my HP FAQ's, I also found a download for a Link
Layer Topology Discovery download for the XP machine.

Now, I can see the Vista Notebook in my "Mshome" workgroup on the XP
machines, but when I click on it, I get a denial of permissions message.

I can't see either XP machine from my vista machine, except in the "full
map" section of the "Network and Sharing Center". However, even though I can
see the XP machines, I cannot click on them in there. All I can see is their
names and MAC addresses.

Is there anything else I can try?

"Kim [MS]" wrote:

> Tom,
>
> That's really good news! Thanks for working this through. I will post your
> results (OneCare firewall settings) to a few other posts in this NG for folks
> who are having similar problems.
>
> Thanks again!
>

> "Tom John" wrote:
>
> > My Solution:
> >
> > Turned out it was OneCare. There are some options hidden away that
> > needed to be enabled:
> >
> > Windows Live OneCare ->
> > Change OneCare Settinge ->
> > Firewall connection tool ->
> > Tick relevant options (Network discovery, file and print settings,
> > etc) ->
> > OK ->
> > Advanced Settings ->
> > Change file sharing from 'Do not share files and printers" ->
> > OK ->
> > OK
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > This fixed it all up for me and also allowed the XP box to see the
> > Vista boxes ok.
> >
> > Hope this helps someone else.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Tom

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Mixed Vista/XP with wired/wireless Network Trouble
Frank,

I suspect you already know this, but I just want to eliminate this as a
possible issue. You cannot file share through the Network Map, even though
you installed LLTD to 'light-up' the XP machines in your map. To get to the
available shares, right click on the network icon in the task tray, choose
Network and Sharing Center, then choose (in the blue left navigation pane)
the link which says, "View computers and devices."

From there you should be able to see the available XP shares from your Vista
machine. Do you get the permissions error when you take that route?

Thx