Vista won't connect to secure wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

Vista won't connect to secure wireless network
Have a CompUSA (FSI) wireless router running WPA (TKIP) w/ passphrase. Works
great on several XP Pro machines. Just purchased a Gateway MX3705 w/ Vista
Home Premium. It finds the network but will not connect, and when I
"diagnose" the problem it says it failed for "an unknown reason." There is an
un-secured network in my neighborhood, and the computer can connect fine to
this, so I think the card is OK.

Things I've tried:

-Removing security from our wireless network. Still wouldn't connect.
-Changing mode from "AP" to "ad-hoc". Connected! But my wired machines would
not connect, and it still wouldn't allow any kind of security.

Any ideas?
=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

RE: Vista won't connect to secure wireless network
I installed a USB wireless adapter and that had the identical problem. There
must be some incompatibility between the CompUSA/FMI router and Vista,
because that adapter worked fine on XP machines...

"Bill" wrote:

> Have a CompUSA (FSI) wireless router running WPA (TKIP) w/ passphrase. Works
> great on several XP Pro machines. Just purchased a Gateway MX3705 w/ Vista
> Home Premium. It finds the network but will not connect, and when I
> "diagnose" the problem it says it failed for "an unknown reason." There is an
> un-secured network in my neighborhood, and the computer can connect fine to
> this, so I think the card is OK.
>
> Things I've tried:
>
> -Removing security from our wireless network. Still wouldn't connect.
> -Changing mode from "AP" to "ad-hoc". Connected! But my wired machines would
> not connect, and it still wouldn't allow any kind of security.
>
> Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gS2l0dG8=?=

RE: Vista won't connect to secure wireless network
I have the same issues with a d-link WAP. The card and Vista operate at work
without issues (also on a dynalink but a 2200 and not the G700AP that I have
at home).

I followed this link but with no fix:

Let me know if you make any headway. I supect that the routers that we are
running are not compatable with the new security running in Vista.

"Bill" wrote:

> Have a CompUSA (FSI) wireless router running WPA (TKIP) w/ passphrase. Works
> great on several XP Pro machines. Just purchased a Gateway MX3705 w/ Vista
> Home Premium. It finds the network but will not connect, and when I
> "diagnose" the problem it says it failed for "an unknown reason." There is an
> un-secured network in my neighborhood, and the computer can connect fine to
> this, so I think the card is OK.
>
> Things I've tried:
>
> -Removing security from our wireless network. Still wouldn't connect.
> -Changing mode from "AP" to "ad-hoc". Connected! But my wired machines would
> not connect, and it still wouldn't allow any kind of security.
>
> Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=

RE: Vista won't connect to secure wireless network
My vista computer will connect wirlessly if I remove all security. When I
introduce TKIP it will not connect. And it does not know why.

"Aaron Kitto" wrote:

> I have the same issues with a d-link WAP. The card and Vista operate at work
> without issues (also on a dynalink but a 2200 and not the G700AP that I have
> at home).
>
> I followed this link but with no fix:
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13640889
>
> Let me know if you make any headway. I supect that the routers that we are
> running are not compatable with the new security running in Vista.
>
> "Bill" wrote:
>
> > Have a CompUSA (FSI) wireless router running WPA (TKIP) w/ passphrase. Works
> > great on several XP Pro machines. Just purchased a Gateway MX3705 w/ Vista
> > Home Premium. It finds the network but will not connect, and when I
> > "diagnose" the problem it says it failed for "an unknown reason." There is an
> > un-secured network in my neighborhood, and the computer can connect fine to
> > this, so I think the card is OK.
> >
> > Things I've tried:
> >
> > -Removing security from our wireless network. Still wouldn't connect.
> > -Changing mode from "AP" to "ad-hoc". Connected! But my wired machines would
> > not connect, and it still wouldn't allow any kind of security.
> >
> > Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

RE: Vista won't connect to secure wireless network
Seems to be some serious incompatibilities here. I can't even get it to work
with security turned off. Vista has no updates, and the firmware on the
router is the latest. I tried shutting off IPv6 as mentioned in another
thread, but still nothing. I'd rather not buy another router just to diagnose
the problem.

MS spent a lot of time telling people that Vista is better than XP - and
that its very stable, but the fact of the matter is that this functionality
works on every XP machine in my house with ease.

"Bill" wrote:

> I installed a USB wireless adapter and that had the identical problem. There
> must be some incompatibility between the CompUSA/FMI router and Vista,
> because that adapter worked fine on XP machines...
>
> "Bill" wrote:
>
> > Have a CompUSA (FSI) wireless router running WPA (TKIP) w/ passphrase. Works
> > great on several XP Pro machines. Just purchased a Gateway MX3705 w/ Vista
> > Home Premium. It finds the network but will not connect, and when I
> > "diagnose" the problem it says it failed for "an unknown reason." There is an
> > un-secured network in my neighborhood, and the computer can connect fine to
> > this, so I think the card is OK.
> >
> > Things I've tried:
> >
> > -Removing security from our wireless network. Still wouldn't connect.
> > -Changing mode from "AP" to "ad-hoc". Connected! But my wired machines would
> > not connect, and it still wouldn't allow any kind of security.
> >
> > Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

RE: Vista won't connect to secure wireless network
Fixed it! Forced an upgrade to new drivers on the RealTek wireless adapter.
Vista insisted that I had the newest, but I went to the Realtek website and
downloaded that latest version.

Hope this helps someone...