RE: Problems with a Linksys wireless card on a desktop computer

=?Utf-8?B?UmNtb3VsdG9u?=

RE: Problems with a Linksys wireless card on a desktop computer
I have exactly the same problem. I just upgraded to Vista Home Premium, and I
cannot connect to Internet using my Linksys wireless adaptor. Vista always
starts two connections, even though I only have one adaptor active. The
diagnotic message indicates that I have two active network connections. I
cannot get rid of the second one that Vista starts every time I enable my
wireless adaptor.

"PuzzledInSeattle" wrote:

> I have a HP Pavillion desktop which has done just fine with XP. My kids
> access my home wireless network and the Internet using a Linksys wireless G
> adapter. Before upgrading to Vista the compatability wizard warned that I
> would need to update the driver through the Windows update process after the
> upgrade. The upgrade went fine and all the hardware is working except the
> adapter. I am able to browse to and ping local resources just fine, (those on
> my side of mys Linksys/Cisco router) but I cannot access anything on the
> Internet. I get a red-x icon on the link between my home network and the
> Internet. If I click "view status" I get a message that says "There is more
> than one active network connection on this computer. Unplug or disable one of
> the active connections to try and solve the problem, etc." There is only one
> wireless connection (although it is listed as "Wireless Network Connection 6
> (networkname)", and the ethernet adapter is disabled. If I enable the
> ethernet adapter I am able to access the Internet and my network just fine,
> (I posted this form the computer). I have used Windows update to check for
> updates, ("up to date") and have even performed an driver update on the
> adapter with the same result.
>
> A search of the Microsoft site returned a promising KB article
> (Windows6.0-KB920698-v1-x86-EN-US) but when I try to run it it says that it
> doesn't apply to my computer.

Don

Re: Problems with a Linksys wireless card on a desktop computer
On Feb 1, 9:39 am, Rcmoulton <Rcmoul...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I have exactly the same problem. I just upgraded to Vista Home Premium, and I
> cannot connect to Internet using my Linksys wireless adaptor. Vista always
> starts two connections, even though I only have one adaptor active. The
> diagnotic message indicates that I have two active network connections. I
> cannot get rid of the second one that Vista starts every time I enable my
> wireless adaptor.

I don't know if you solved this problem yet. I had the exact same
problem and finally figured it out. I disabled all network adapters
through "Control Panel / Hardware and Sound" except for my linksys
wireless adapter. Finally I have just one active network connection,
the unidentified network disappeared, and I connected to the Internet.

Hope that helps.

Don

gmc gmc is offline

gmc is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same issue, only I'm using a wired connection. Since installing my new modem supplied by my service provider, when my computer restarts there are two active internet connections even though I only have one network adapter. The two connections conflict and do not allow me to access the internet. If I click on the merge and delete option for either one of these connections, only one connection is showing in the connections list (lets call it connection A) and it cannot be deleted because it is "in use." If I disable one connection they both become inactive and disappear from the Windows Vista network and Sharing centre. If I then enable my network adapter only connection A restores itself and I am able to access the internet. I have to do this every time I restart my computer.

I also tried uninstalling my network adapter through Device Manager. Vista uninstalls the adapter, then automatically detects "new" hardware and reinstalls it. Once it's reinstalled only conneciton A is active, but again, if i restart my machine I'm back to having two conflicting connections.

Any advice would be helpful.
Greg