Trying to set up VPN to work

=?Utf-8?B?YnNwZWVk?=

Trying to set up VPN to work
I have set-up up a VPN to work and when I click on the icon, it checks my
pasword and before it connects I receive the following message:

Error 734 PPP link control protocol was terminated

I have checked my work VPN that was working on XP before I upgraded and they
are exactly the same in all respects. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Bob
=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Trying to set up VPN to work
Bob,

I've seen a similar situation in my home network. In my case, it was my
fancy gaming router. Have you tried removing any router or middleware and
connecting directly to the modem?

"bspeed" wrote:

> I have set-up up a VPN to work and when I click on the icon, it checks my
> pasword and before it connects I receive the following message:
>
> Error 734 PPP link control protocol was terminated
>
> I have checked my work VPN that was working on XP before I upgraded and they
> are exactly the same in all respects. Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> Bob

=?Utf-8?B?YnNwZWVk?=

RE: Trying to set up VPN to work
Kim,
Thanks, but since I am using a hotel's wireless network, and I do not have
the tools for dial-up I guess I will have to wait until I get to a different
server.

"Kim [MS]" wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I've seen a similar situation in my home network. In my case, it was my
> fancy gaming router. Have you tried removing any router or middleware and
> connecting directly to the modem?
>
> "bspeed" wrote:
>
> > I have set-up up a VPN to work and when I click on the icon, it checks my
> > pasword and before it connects I receive the following message:
> >
> > Error 734 PPP link control protocol was terminated
> >
> > I have checked my work VPN that was working on XP before I upgraded and they
> > are exactly the same in all respects. Any assistance would be appreciated.
> > Thanks
> >
> > Bob

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnkgRA==?=

RE: Trying to set up VPN to work
I am having the same problem. I have two notebooks setting side by side. My
old one running XP SP2 and the new on Vista - Although I am sure I am
overlooking something I appear to have the Vista VPN connection setup the
same as the XP connection. Any help would be appreciated.

"bspeed" wrote:

> Kim,
> Thanks, but since I am using a hotel's wireless network, and I do not have
> the tools for dial-up I guess I will have to wait until I get to a different
> server.
>
> "Kim [MS]" wrote:
>
> > Bob,
> >
> > I've seen a similar situation in my home network. In my case, it was my
> > fancy gaming router. Have you tried removing any router or middleware and
> > connecting directly to the modem?
> >
> > "bspeed" wrote:
> >
> > > I have set-up up a VPN to work and when I click on the icon, it checks my
> > > pasword and before it connects I receive the following message:
> > >
> > > Error 734 PPP link control protocol was terminated
> > >
> > > I have checked my work VPN that was working on XP before I upgraded and they
> > > are exactly the same in all respects. Any assistance would be appreciated.
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Bob

=?Utf-8?B?Z2Fz?=

RE: Trying to set up VPN to work
Hi

I experienced the same problem using Vista Business.

Following a post on the Microsoft Partner newsgroup I was informed that
Vista will not allow a VPN to be set up over a wireless LAN connection as it
will only allow one secured connection at a time.

So as the wireless connection is classed as a secure connection as soon as
the vpn is established the wireless drops out.

Apparently by design ????

Peter (MCSE MCSA SBS)

"Bobby D" wrote:

> I am having the same problem. I have two notebooks setting side by side. My
> old one running XP SP2 and the new on Vista - Although I am sure I am
> overlooking something I appear to have the Vista VPN connection setup the
> same as the XP connection. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> "bspeed" wrote:
>
> > Kim,
> > Thanks, but since I am using a hotel's wireless network, and I do not have
> > the tools for dial-up I guess I will have to wait until I get to a different
> > server.
> >
> > "Kim [MS]" wrote:
> >
> > > Bob,
> > >
> > > I've seen a similar situation in my home network. In my case, it was my
> > > fancy gaming router. Have you tried removing any router or middleware and
> > > connecting directly to the modem?

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnkgRA==?=

RE: Trying to set up VPN to work
I should have noted that I was able to solve my problem. From what I
understand (I am not a network person) Vista no longer supports CHAP and my
VPN Server was set for that protocol. It was changed to support CHAP2 and
all is okay. I am currently connected to my office VPN (via a wireless
connection).

Bobby Dow

"gas" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I experienced the same problem using Vista Business.
>
> Following a post on the Microsoft Partner newsgroup I was informed that
> Vista will not allow a VPN to be set up over a wireless LAN connection as it
> will only allow one secured connection at a time.
>
> So as the wireless connection is classed as a secure connection as soon as
> the vpn is established the wireless drops out.
>
> Apparently by design ????
>
> Peter (MCSE MCSA SBS)
>
> "Bobby D" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same problem. I have two notebooks setting side by side. My
> > old one running XP SP2 and the new on Vista - Although I am sure I am
> > overlooking something I appear to have the Vista VPN connection setup the
> > same as the XP connection. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > "bspeed" wrote:
> >
> > > Kim,
> > > Thanks, but since I am using a hotel's wireless network, and I do not have
> > > the tools for dial-up I guess I will have to wait until I get to a different
> > > server.

Aanand Ramachandran

Re: Trying to set up VPN to work
Hi Bob,
Which tunneling protocol are you using for VPN?

Can you collect the following logs and send them to me? This will help
us investigate the issue.

1. RAS Logs
Execute the following from elevated command prompt

• netsh ras set tr * en This enables RAS tracing
• <recreate the issue>
• netsh ras set tr * di This disabled RAS tracing

This will generate log files in the %windir%\tracing directory. Please
zip the files and send them to me

thanks
Aanand

"gas" <gas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I experienced the same problem using Vista Business.
>
> Following a post on the Microsoft Partner newsgroup I was informed that
> Vista will not allow a VPN to be set up over a wireless LAN connection as
> it
> will only allow one secured connection at a time.
>
> So as the wireless connection is classed as a secure connection as soon as
> the vpn is established the wireless drops out.
>
> Apparently by design ????
>
> Peter (MCSE MCSA SBS)
>
> "Bobby D" wrote:
>
>> I am having the same problem. I have two notebooks setting side by side.
>> My
>> old one running XP SP2 and the new on Vista - Although I am sure I am
>> overlooking something I appear to have the Vista VPN connection setup the
>> same as the XP connection. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> "bspeed" wrote:
>>
>> > Kim,
>> > Thanks, but since I am using a hotel's wireless network, and I do not
>> > have
>> > the tools for dial-up I guess I will have to wait until I get to a
>> > different
>> > server.

=?Utf-8?B?UGVnZ3k=?=

RE: Trying to set up VPN to work
Hi - I am having the same issue, trying to connect a VPN on VISTA through a
wireless network to a workplace. I saw your email(s) and noticed the "CHAP2"
protocol. My VPN server is Windows 2000 and I went into the configuration of
the routing and the properties of the server to choose the "CHAP2" protocol
and it only had "CHAP". I was wondering if there was a place to download
this protocol? And if you knew if it was compatible with W2K?

If you can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Peggy

"Bobby D" wrote:

> I should have noted that I was able to solve my problem. From what I
> understand (I am not a network person) Vista no longer supports CHAP and my
> VPN Server was set for that protocol. It was changed to support CHAP2 and
> all is okay. I am currently connected to my office VPN (via a wireless
> connection).
>
> Bobby Dow
>
> "gas" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I experienced the same problem using Vista Business.
> >
> > Following a post on the Microsoft Partner newsgroup I was informed that
> > Vista will not allow a VPN to be set up over a wireless LAN connection as it
> > will only allow one secured connection at a time.
> >
> > So as the wireless connection is classed as a secure connection as soon as
> > the vpn is established the wireless drops out.
> >
> > Apparently by design ????
> >
> > Peter (MCSE MCSA SBS)
> >
> > "Bobby D" wrote:
> >
> > > I am having the same problem. I have two notebooks setting side by side. My
> > > old one running XP SP2 and the new on Vista - Although I am sure I am
> > > overlooking something I appear to have the Vista VPN connection setup the
> > > same as the XP connection. Any help would be appreciated.

Sooner Al [MVP]

"Peggy" <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi - I am having the same issue, trying to connect a VPN on VISTA through
> wireless network to a workplace. I saw your email(s) and noticed the
> "CHAP2"
> protocol. My VPN server is Windows 2000 and I went into the configuration
> of
> the routing and the properties of the server to choose the "CHAP2"
> protocol
> and it only had "CHAP". I was wondering if there was a place to download
> this protocol? And if you knew if it was compatible with W2K?
>
> If you can help me out, I would really appreciate it.
>
> Thank you,
> Peggy

Have you seen this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926170/en-us

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Aanand Ramachandran

Re: Trying to set up VPN to work
Hi Peggy
It is MSCHAPv1 that has been deprecated and not CHAP. CHAP is still
supported. You should be able to connect by configuring CHAP protocol on
both the server and client machines.
Hope this helps

thanks
Aanand