XP cant access Vista Drives???

=?Utf-8?B?bWF2aXNvNQ==?=

XP cant access Vista Drives???
Hi all

I have got Vista Ultimate edition on main PC, XP home on my laptop, had
mapped a network drive fine on the vista machine and can acess the laptop -
no problem.

But, when i want to acess any of the shared folders or a drive i had tried
to map for the vista machine on my laptop i get the error "\\Dan-pc\Dan is
not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact administrator etc.."
Sharing is enabled on the drives, and there no password that has been set.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: XP cant access Vista Drives???
Dan,

In your Vista machine, you need to give permissions to access/view shares on
that machine. Right click on the networking icon in the tray. Then click on
Network and Sharing Center; then adjust the settings so that Network
Discovery and File Sharing are on.

"maviso5" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have got Vista Ultimate edition on main PC, XP home on my laptop, had
> mapped a network drive fine on the vista machine and can acess the laptop -
> no problem.
>
> But, when i want to acess any of the shared folders or a drive i had tried
> to map for the vista machine on my laptop i get the error "\\Dan-pc\Dan is
> not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource.
> Contact administrator etc.."
> Sharing is enabled on the drives, and there no password that has been set.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Dan

=?Utf-8?B?U3Rvc2gxOTY4?=

RE: XP cant access Vista Drives???
I have the same exact problem as Dan. My network discovery and file sharing
are both on, I have password protection off. I can see the shares on my
other machine, but I get the permission error Dan described. I can go into
Advanced Sharing, since the the other share button is grayed out, and Share
this folder is checked, 10 users are able to access the share simultaneously,
if I select permissions, the Everyone group is allowed full control, change
and read rights. I can find no way to add permissions specific to my second
PC, as nothing will allow me to view and/or add them.

"Kim [MS]" wrote:

> Dan,
>
> In your Vista machine, you need to give permissions to access/view shares on
> that machine. Right click on the networking icon in the tray. Then click on
> Network and Sharing Center; then adjust the settings so that Network
> Discovery and File Sharing are on.
>

> "maviso5" wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have got Vista Ultimate edition on main PC, XP home on my laptop, had
> > mapped a network drive fine on the vista machine and can acess the laptop -
> > no problem.
> >
> > But, when i want to acess any of the shared folders or a drive i had tried
> > to map for the vista machine on my laptop i get the error "\\Dan-pc\Dan is
> > not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource.
> > Contact administrator etc.."
> > Sharing is enabled on the drives, and there no password that has been set.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dan

David

Re: XP cant access Vista Drives???
Same problem here. Sure hope we find a solution as next week I'll have to
share a broadband Internet connection with my wifes computer.

AJR

Re: XP cant access Vista Drives???
One other aspect to consider with Vista - the network type designation -
"Private" or "Public". Each provides different access and sharing
capabilities.

"maviso5" <maviso5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I have got Vista Ultimate edition on main PC, XP home on my laptop, had
> mapped a network drive fine on the vista machine and can acess the
> laptop -
> no problem.
>
> But, when i want to acess any of the shared folders or a drive i had tried
> to map for the vista machine on my laptop i get the error "\\Dan-pc\Dan is
> not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network
> resource.
> Contact administrator etc.."
> Sharing is enabled on the drives, and there no password that has been set.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Dan

=?Utf-8?B?bWF2aXNvNQ==?=

Re: XP cant access Vista Drives???
I have tried both public and private settings, neither got me any joy. I glad
(in a way) that i'm not the only one with this problem.
My share buton is also greyed out and i only have the advance share buton
(even tho the drives are shared)

Hope someone can help

Dan
koze

Re: XP cant access Vista Drives???
If you go to the folder you want to share open up the security settings,
remove the everyone account, in there add the name and account settings you
want to let use the share. Set the permissions in there for that account,
that should work.

Ko.

"Stosh1968" <Stosh1968@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I have the same exact problem as Dan. My network discovery and file
>sharing
> are both on, I have password protection off. I can see the shares on my
> other machine, but I get the permission error Dan described. I can go
> into
> Advanced Sharing, since the the other share button is grayed out, and
> Share
> this folder is checked, 10 users are able to access the share
> simultaneously,
> if I select permissions, the Everyone group is allowed full control,
> change
> and read rights. I can find no way to add permissions specific to my
> second
> PC, as nothing will allow me to view and/or add them.
>
> "Kim [MS]" wrote:
>
>> Dan,
>>
>> In your Vista machine, you need to give permissions to access/view shares
>> on
>> that machine. Right click on the networking icon in the tray. Then
>> click on
>> Network and Sharing Center; then adjust the settings so that Network
>> Discovery and File Sharing are on.
>>

>> "maviso5" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > I have got Vista Ultimate edition on main PC, XP home on my laptop, had
>> > mapped a network drive fine on the vista machine and can acess the
>> > laptop -
>> > no problem.
>> >
>> > But, when i want to acess any of the shared folders or a drive i had
>> > tried
>> > to map for the vista machine on my laptop i get the error "\\Dan-pc\Dan
>> > is
>> > not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network
>> > resource.
>> > Contact administrator etc.."
>> > Sharing is enabled on the drives, and there no password that has been
>> > set.
>> >
>> > Any help would be much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Dan

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: XP cant access Vista Drives???
Folks,

The networking team is investigating this now. As soon as we have a steady
repro and a workaround, I'll let you know. It shouldn't be long.

Thanks for your comments - they've been helpful.

We might come back and ask for some network logs. Let me know if you're
willing to run some and send them in for debugging purposes.

Thanks again

"maviso5" wrote:

> I have tried both public and private settings, neither got me any joy. I glad
> (in a way) that i'm not the only one with this problem.
> My share buton is also greyed out and i only have the advance share buton
> (even tho the drives are shared)
>
> Hope someone can help
>
> Dan

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: XP cant access Vista Drives???
Folks,

It would be very helpful if all who are experiencing this problem could work
through the steps contained in this Technet article written expressly for
this scenario. The problem may be in the Workgroup name.

Please let us know if this solves the drive access issue.

Thanks

"maviso5" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have got Vista Ultimate edition on main PC, XP home on my laptop, had
> mapped a network drive fine on the vista machine and can acess the laptop -
> no problem.
>
> But, when i want to acess any of the shared folders or a drive i had tried
> to map for the vista machine on my laptop i get the error "\\Dan-pc\Dan is
> not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource.
> Contact administrator etc.."
> Sharing is enabled on the drives, and there no password that has been set.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Dan

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW5IYW5u?=

Re: XP cant access Vista Drives???
I have a similar problem to those descibed in this thread except I have
created a dual boot so that I can still acccess those programmes that aren't
yet Vista Compliant. I have the additional problem that I can't access the
applications that reside on my XP Tablet partition, it says 'this prgramme
has not been installed for this user, please run setup ...'

I would rather not have to install 2 copies of Office as on a Laptop, space
is a premium