Map drives across VPN fails

=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZA==?=

Map drives across VPN fails
Creating a VPN connection from my Vista Ultimate RTM PC to any of my 10
different destination networks works fine.

Once connected, I can ping, RDP etc to remote servers across the pptp tunnel
fine.

However, I cannot map drives. I can with exactly the same configuration
from an XP SP2 PC, so there are no "network" issues involved here - it must
be purely related to changes in Vista.

I have tried all the usual suspect like disabling the firewall, disabling
autotuning etc, but with no success. I have tried mapping to IP address
rather than netbios name, providing credentials using the net use command -
but everything is met with system error 53. I can't find any local policy
settings that may be causing the problem either.

I ran some network traces while attempting to map drives, and noticed that
Vista was actually, bizzarely, attempting an http connection! Stopping the
Vista Web Client service seems to resolve this somewhat, and now I get system
error 67.

Network traces now show a TCP checksum error in response to netbios-ssn
traffic.

There must be some change in the Vista TCP stack that is causing this, but I
can't figure out what - In fact I am convinced it is a bug.

I see there are other posts on this exact subject, but am hoping from an MS
response as a Technet Plus subscriber..

Ricardo Costa

Re: Map drives across VPN fails
I have the same problem here. When I try to access shares on my Win2003
server from Vista Ultimate, it timeouts and says that the network path could
not be found (0x80070035). According to netstat it's waiting a SYN reply
from the netbios-ssn service on the server.

I've tried disabling WebClient as you said, and now the error changed to
0x800704b3 (The network path was either typed incorrectly, does not exist,
or the network provider is not currently available).

Ricardo Costa

"fred" <jacma70@123.com> wrote in message
> Creating a VPN connection from my Vista Ultimate RTM PC to any of my 10
> different destination networks works fine.
>
> Once connected, I can ping, RDP etc to remote servers across the pptp
> tunnel
> fine.
>
> However, I cannot map drives. I can with exactly the same configuration
> from an XP SP2 PC, so there are no "network" issues involved here - it
> must
> be purely related to changes in Vista.
>
> I have tried all the usual suspect like disabling the firewall, disabling
> autotuning etc, but with no success. I have tried mapping to IP address
> rather than netbios name, providing credentials using the net use
> command -
> but everything is met with system error 53. I can't find any local policy
> settings that may be causing the problem either.
>
> I ran some network traces while attempting to map drives, and noticed that
> Vista was actually, bizzarely, attempting an http connection! Stopping
> the
> Vista Web Client service seems to resolve this somewhat, and now I get
> system
> error 67.
>
> Network traces now show a TCP checksum error in response to netbios-ssn
> traffic.
>
> There must be some change in the Vista TCP stack that is causing this, but
> can't figure out what - In fact I am convinced it is a bug.
>
> I see there are other posts on this exact subject, but am hoping from an
> MS
> response as a Technet Plus subscriber..

=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZA==?=

Re: Map drives across VPN fails
May have a solution for this..

I logged it with our MS TSC, and he came up with this new kb article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=929853

I found I had to disable IPv6 for the vpn, add the destinations dns suffix
as detailed in the kb article to the dns advanced tab of the vpn connection.

Then I could map a drive to \\machine.doman.local\c$ (for example). It only
seems to work using the FQDN. I have only tried this on a VPN back to the
office (a domain my pc is a member of).

I will test against "foregin" VPN destinations later..

Good luck!
Ricardo Costa

Re: Map drives across VPN fails
That worked for me. I'm actually using workgroups instead of a domain, but
adding a DNS suffix to the VPN connection did the trick. I can now access
the share by using \\serverip\c$.

Thanks!