Unidentified Network

=?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGFfZmFu?=

Unidentified Network
Lan 1: Auto Ip Address for internet running through cable modem. Vista
doesn't Identifies it and does not work.
Lan 2: Static Ip Address for my home peer-to-peer network. Vista tags as
unidentified, it won't let me change the name same on Lan 1 , and if I
change it to a private network, it changes back to a public network after a
reboot.
Cable modem is working fine, i had called my ISP and said it is fine.
Does anyone know how I can get Vista to properly identify my networks and
make my internet and home network working?
=?Utf-8?B?S2luZw==?=

RE: Unidentified Network
I am having the exact problem you described. I tried every known work around
possible. This problem is really strange because I can access files from
other computers on the home network, but the other computers do not have
internet access.
I have a dual gigabit lan on my asus p5wdh deluxe. I receive the same
message on lan 2 that you do 'word for word'.
Hopefully someone can help?? Please?

"Vista_fan" wrote:

> Lan 1: Auto Ip Address for internet running through cable modem. Vista
> doesn't Identifies it and does not work.
> Lan 2: Static Ip Address for my home peer-to-peer network. Vista tags as
> unidentified, it won't let me change the name same on Lan 1 , and if I
> change it to a private network, it changes back to a public network after a
> reboot.
> Cable modem is working fine, i had called my ISP and said it is fine.
> Does anyone know how I can get Vista to properly identify my networks and
> make my internet and home network working?

m.wawrzynski@gmail.com

Re: Unidentified Network
Hi, I have exactly the same problem, did you find the solution yet?

My suggestions-

1. to have ICS working DHCP serving must be enabled on Vista computers
- it doesn't seem so, as my WinXP SP2 computer can't get IP from
Vista...

2. Everytime I turn ICS on it set the static IP (192.168.0.1), but on
the wrong adapter (the cable modem one)!!! The effect is the neither
Internet connection nor ad-hoc network works properly...

So - Vista Fan - for now turn the auto IP settings on for cable modem.
It should connect to internet. If you need network connection with
another computer - set IP manually on both. The problem is that at the
moment I cant get ICS working...

best regards

MW

=?Utf-8?B?S2luZw==?=

Re: Unidentified Network
Yes,
The problem was the router. I bought a new linksys router and everything
worked fine. Apparently not all routers and hubs are compatible with vista
according to MS. I dealt directly with tech support.

"m.wawrzynski@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi, I have exactly the same problem, did you find the solution yet?
>
> My suggestions-
>
> 1. to have ICS working DHCP serving must be enabled on Vista computers
> - it doesn't seem so, as my WinXP SP2 computer can't get IP from
> Vista...
>
> 2. Everytime I turn ICS on it set the static IP (192.168.0.1), but on
> the wrong adapter (the cable modem one)!!! The effect is the neither
> Internet connection nor ad-hoc network works properly...
>
> So - Vista Fan - for now turn the auto IP settings on for cable modem.
> It should connect to internet. If you need network connection with
> another computer - set IP manually on both. The problem is that at the
> moment I cant get ICS working...
>
> best regards
>
> MW

Waldo

Re: Unidentified Network
Vista_fan wrote:
> Lan 1: Auto Ip Address for internet running through cable modem. Vista
> doesn't Identifies it and does not work.
> Lan 2: Static Ip Address for my home peer-to-peer network. Vista tags as
> unidentified, it won't let me change the name same on Lan 1 , and if I
> change it to a private network, it changes back to a public network after a
> reboot.
> Cable modem is working fine, i had called my ISP and said it is fine.
> Does anyone know how I can get Vista to properly identify my networks and
> make my internet and home network working?

Hello,

if you want windows not to label your home network as Unidentified
Network, under default gateway field write your own ip address.

This solution worked for me.
Waldo

Re: Unidentified Network
Waldo wrote:
> if you want windows not to label your home network as Unidentified
> Network, under default gateway field write your own ip address.

it is important to restart your computer after you make this changes.
Mirko

Re: Unidentified Network
Thanks!
This has worked for me too.

"Waldo" <waldo2000@MAKNI.net.hr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Waldo wrote:
> > if you want windows not to label your home network as Unidentified
>> Network, under default gateway field write your own ip address.

> it is important to restart your computer after you make this changes.

lflier

Re: Unidentified Network

This was a helpful discussion. I have a similar situation to the one
discussed:

- Network 1: Shared internet connection to Verizon Wireless using my
tethered Palm Treo and Vista Internet connection sharing (ICS)

- Network 2: LAN card connected to a Buffalo router being used as a
network switch and wireless access point

The ICS works fine. It sets the LAN card IP address to 192.168.0.1 and
enables DHCP, which assigns IP addresses to other computers on the
network.

The problem is with network 2 which, when ICS is enabled, shows up as
an unidentified network that I cannot rename. By default, unidentified
networks are public in Vista, which means that network discovery is off
and I can't see the other computers on the network. At this point I can
do one of two things: (1) I can change this unidentified network to a
private network which enables me to see other computers, but when I
restart the computer this connection reverts back to public and I have
to reset it. Or (2), I can enable network discovery in the "Sharing and
Discovery" section of the "Network and Sharing" window, but this enables
network discovery for all public networks -- which I do not want to do,
since I sometimes use this computer in public locations.

The solution that worked for two users above -- setting the gateway to
the IP address of the computer (which for me is 192.168.0.1, the IP
address assigned by ICS) -- did not work for me. Vista kept reverting
back to blanks in the gateway IP address.

-[If you're not familiar with how to change IP addresses, simply right
click on the connection in the "Network Connections" window, which you
can get to from the Network and Sharing window by clicking on "Manage
Network Connections," then choose "Properties" and double click on
"Internet Protocol Version 4."]-

The solution that -did -work for me, which I was led to by thinking
about this thread, was setting the gateway to the (fixed) IP address of
the wireless access point to which my computer is connected. Success!
Now Vista identifies the network and I can rename it and choose a
private status.

-[This solution may require you to set a fixed IP address for the
access point, which you can do through the setup pages of your access
point. I use 192.168.0.101. I actually have another Buffalo router
connected to the same network to extend my wireless coverage, which has
the IP address 192.168.0.102. Wireless laptops, a second hardwired
desktop and a hardwired network printer get their IP addresses from the
computer with the shared connection, which acts as a DHCP server.]-

--
lflier
lflier's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/lflier.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unidentified Network
Thank you for sharing your experience.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"lflier" <lflier.3kxcrd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> This was a helpful discussion. I have a similar situation to the one
> discussed:
>
> - Network 1: Shared internet connection to Verizon Wireless using my
> tethered Palm Treo and Vista Internet connection sharing (ICS)
>
> - Network 2: LAN card connected to a Buffalo router being used as a
> network switch and wireless access point
>
> The ICS works fine. It sets the LAN card IP address to 192.168.0.1 and
> enables DHCP, which assigns IP addresses to other computers on the
> network.
>
> The problem is with network 2 which, when ICS is enabled, shows up as
> an unidentified network that I cannot rename. By default, unidentified
> networks are public in Vista, which means that network discovery is off
> and I can't see the other computers on the network. At this point I can
> do one of two things: (1) I can change this unidentified network to a
> private network which enables me to see other computers, but when I
> restart the computer this connection reverts back to public and I have
> to reset it. Or (2), I can enable network discovery in the "Sharing and
> Discovery" section of the "Network and Sharing" window, but this enables
> network discovery for all public networks -- which I do not want to do,
> since I sometimes use this computer in public locations.
>
> The solution that worked for two users above -- setting the gateway to
> the IP address of the computer (which for me is 192.168.0.1, the IP
> address assigned by ICS) -- did not work for me. Vista kept reverting
> back to blanks in the gateway IP address.
>
> -[If you're not familiar with how to change IP addresses, simply right
> click on the connection in the "Network Connections" window, which you
> can get to from the Network and Sharing window by clicking on "Manage
> Network Connections," then choose "Properties" and double click on
> "Internet Protocol Version 4."]-
>
> The solution that -did -work for me, which I was led to by thinking
> about this thread, was setting the gateway to the (fixed) IP address of
> the wireless access point to which my computer is connected. Success!
> Now Vista identifies the network and I can rename it and choose a
> private status.
>
> -[This solution may require you to set a fixed IP address for the
> access point, which you can do through the setup pages of your access
> point. I use 192.168.0.101. I actually have another Buffalo router
> connected to the same network to extend my wireless coverage, which has
> the IP address 192.168.0.102. Wireless laptops, a second hardwired
> desktop and a hardwired network printer get their IP addresses from the
> computer with the shared connection, which acts as a DHCP server.]-
>

> --
> lflier
> lflier's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/lflier.htm
> View this thread: