One username/pw mult machines and accessing files...

David Rothman

One username/pw mult machines and accessing files...
can i do the following under vista (ultimate)?

i have a workgroup with several users on each machine. there will be one
user (DAD) common to all machines and DAD's password for all machines will
be the same. DAD will be an admin on each of the machines.

all i really want (something which proved problematic on XP-home) is the
ability to go from any one machine over the network and have complete access
to all of DAD's files on another machine (other than locked files, but
including anything that used to be locked by default (i.e. on XP, some
folders under documents and settings were locked by default). i might allow
other users access to some of the those folders, but in all cases, i want
DAD to have total permissions.

somehow under xp-home (even using Doug Knox's excellent utility to make Home
look like Pro), i could never get it quite the way i needed it. thanks in
advance.

Walter Blanchard

Re: One username/pw mult machines and accessing files...
It's working for me on 4 boxes: 2 XP Prox86 and 2 Vista Ultimate x64.

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

"David Rothman" <drothman@optonline.net> wrote in message
> can i do the following under vista (ultimate)?
>
> i have a workgroup with several users on each machine. there will be one
> user (DAD) common to all machines and DAD's password for all machines will
> be the same. DAD will be an admin on each of the machines.
>
> all i really want (something which proved problematic on XP-home) is the
> ability to go from any one machine over the network and have complete
> access to all of DAD's files on another machine (other than locked files,
> but including anything that used to be locked by default (i.e. on XP, some
> folders under documents and settings were locked by default). i might
> allow other users access to some of the those folders, but in all cases, i
> want DAD to have total permissions.
>
> somehow under xp-home (even using Doug Knox's excellent utility to make
> Home look like Pro), i could never get it quite the way i needed it.
> thanks in advance.

David Rothman

Re: One username/pw mult machines and accessing files...
Can i assume this is not the default behaivor and that u needed to
explicitly grant privileges on all the machines for DAD & DAD_pw for total
access? and have u tired to look at system directories and files across the
network? thanks