ICS Between XP SP2 and Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgUy4=?=

ICS Between XP SP2 and Vista.
I have a question regarding ICS between XP and Vista. I have a desktop
system running XP SP2 that is using a dialup connection to the internet
(unfortunately broadband isnt an option for our area yet). That system is
setup for ICS on the dialup. I have a laptop that is dual booting between XP
and Vista currently that is connecting to the XP box via a linksys router
that is basically configured to be a dumb hub to connect the wireless to the
wired network. When using XP on the laptop I am able to control the dialup
and disconnect of the ICS on the main XP system by clicking on the internet
gateway that shows up in network connections. it also displays a network
icon on the task bar by the clock when it is dialed up and I can click it to
disconnect when I'm done. Since setting up Vista I seem to not be able to
take control of the modem on the XP box with ICS. I see a resident gateway
pop up in the Vista network window and can right click on it for properties
and it says that its the ICS connection on the XP box but no control of it.
The XP box will dial out when vista makes a request by launching IE or
another internet app just fine but I have no control to make it hang up when
I'm done unless I boot back into XP and tell it to disconnect there. I
disabled UPnP on the linksys router since it was displaying 2 of the resident
gateways with it enabled thinking it was getting confused but have not had
any luck gaining control of the modem from Vista.

I have the XP box wired into the router and the laptop connects to the
router via wireless and obtains the IP from the XP box running ICS (DHCP on
the router is disabled on the LAN side). This setup runs flawless when its
XP to XP but the solution to getting vista to let me control the modem
connect disconnect eludes me. I do have the options set to let others
control the connection on the XP box and nothing has changed on that side so
its definitely vista not cooperating very well

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get control of the ICS connecton
inside of Vista so that I dont have to dual boot just to disconect the line?

Sorry for the lengthy post
Chris
=?Utf-8?B?UmF2aSBL?=

RE: ICS Between XP SP2 and Vista.
Disabling ICS public connection from ICS client is supported in Vista also.
In Vista network window, right click menu on "Residential Gateway" has the
option to enable/disable ICS public connection. For this option to show up in
right click menu, Network sharing need to be enabled and machine should have
got 192.168.0.X address.

Does right clicking on Residential Gateway icon couple of times helped in
getting the required option?
Also please check if connecting laptop directly (without router, using wired
connection) to XP machine, makes the option appear in right click menu.

The above information might help in understanding why disable option is not
coming for you.