XP & Vista Remote Desktop Connection

=?Utf-8?B?SmVuTmV3?=

XP & Vista Remote Desktop Connection
Does anyone know if you can connect remotely to a computer running Vista
Business from a computer running XP Pro? I know before Vista was released it
had to be XP Pro to XP Pro. Want to make sure before my work computer is
updated since my home computer is XP Pro and I do not have plans to upgrade
at this time. Thanks.
Dave R.

Re: XP & Vista Remote Desktop Connection

"JenNew" <JenNew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if you can connect remotely to a computer running
> Vista
> Business from a computer running XP Pro? I know before Vista was
> released it
> had to be XP Pro to XP Pro. Want to make sure before my work computer
> is
> updated since my home computer is XP Pro and I do not have plans to
> upgrade
> at this time. Thanks.

As I understand it, it will work but since Vista uses a new
authentication you will need to upgrade your XP Pro SP2 machine to the
new Remote Desktop 6.0 v1.0 if you haven't already. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876 for the update.

Regards,

Dave

Nico Tomacelli [MSFT]

Re: XP & Vista Remote Desktop Connection
Hi,

You have two choices. One is more secure than the other.

You can either install the NLA version of Remote Desktop for Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876).

You can change the settings for remote connections on your Vista machine to "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure). To do this on your Vista machine, do the following. Click Control Panel - System and Maintenance - System. Click the "Remote Settings" link on the task pane in the left.

Hope this helps.
Thx,
Nico

----
Nico Tomacelli
Windows Core User Experience

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

"JenNew" <JenNew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F59402F9-2F57-4756-BB62-DC4E7784B73B@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know if you can connect remotely to a computer running Vista
> Business from a computer running XP Pro? I know before Vista was released it
> had to be XP Pro to XP Pro. Want to make sure before my work computer is
> updated since my home computer is XP Pro and I do not have plans to upgrade
> at this time. Thanks.

Sooner Al [MVP]

"Nico Tomacelli [MSFT]" <nicot@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ABFC2AC2-A0BC-4D1A-9950-8A8F599CF655@microsoft.com...
Hi,

You have two choices. One is more secure than the other.

You can either install the NLA version of Remote Desktop for Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876).

You can change the settings for remote connections on your Vista machine to "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure). To do this on your Vista machine, do the following. Click Control Panel - System and Maintenance - System. Click the "Remote Settings" link on the task pane in the left.

Hope this helps.
Thx,
Nico

----
Nico Tomacelli
Windows Core User Experience

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

"JenNew" <JenNew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F59402F9-2F57-4756-BB62-DC4E7784B73B@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know if you can connect remotely to a computer running Vista
> Business from a computer running XP Pro? I know before Vista was released it
> had to be XP Pro to XP Pro. Want to make sure before my work computer is
> updated since my home computer is XP Pro and I do not have plans to upgrade
> at this time. Thanks.

The XP RDP 6.0 client does *NOT* support NLA even though the article implies that it does...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: XP & Vista Remote Desktop Connection
"JenNew" <JenNew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if you can connect remotely to a computer running Vista
> Business from a computer running XP Pro? I know before Vista was released
> it
> had to be XP Pro to XP Pro. Want to make sure before my work computer is
> updated since my home computer is XP Pro and I do not have plans to
> upgrade
> at this time. Thanks.

Here are some Vista RDP 6.0 guidelines you may be interested in...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...endations.html

Note you can not use NLA to connect a XP client to a Vista host. That is
*NOT* supported at this time.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

The XP RDP 6.0 client does *NOT* support NLA even though the article
implies that it does...

Thanks for the information. So the only current workaround is to set
the Vista PC to "Allow connections from computers running any version of
Remote Desktop", correct?

Regards,

Dave

Sooner Al [MVP]

"Dave R." <dwragle at drbsystems dot com> wrote in message
news:45c20139$0$97249$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> The XP RDP 6.0 client does *NOT* support NLA even though the article
> implies that it does...
>
> Thanks for the information. So the only current workaround is to set the
> Vista PC to "Allow connections from computers running any version of
> Remote Desktop", correct?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

Yes...