Vista Home Premium and Samba

Patrick

Vista Home Premium and Samba
I installed Vista Home Premium on my laptop yesterday night and I am not
able to connect to any of my Samba shares. I tried to follow the
instructions to change the NTLMv2 authentication in the security policies,
which worked fine on my Vista Ultimate RC1, but... there is no secpol.msc
and the snap-in is just 'not there'.

Any suggestions?

Dave R.

Re: Vista Home Premium and Samba

"Patrick" <ptreptau@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I installed Vista Home Premium on my laptop yesterday night and I am
>not able to connect to any of my Samba shares. I tried to follow the
>instructions to change the NTLMv2 authentication in the security
>policies, which worked fine on my Vista Ultimate RC1, but... there is
>no secpol.msc and the snap-in is just 'not there'.
>
> Any suggestions?

For what ever reason Microsoft decided not to include Local Security
Policies in the Home versions of Vista, so unless there are registry
entries that can be changed to set the authentication type you may be
out of luck.

Regards,

Dave

Jimmy Brush

Re: Vista Home Premium and Samba
- Click start
- Type: regedit
- Press enter
- In the left, expand these folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\

- In the left, click on the folder named:

Lsa

- In the right, double-click "LmCompatibilityLevel"
- Type the number 1 and press enter
- Restart your computer

gpgofast

Re: Vista Home Premium and Samba

I had given up on Vista during Beta testing because I couldn't find any
help in connecting to my Clarkconnect NAS box. I could see the box, the
shared folder, but personal folders were unavailable.

Not having secpol.msc available in Vista Home Premium was going to mean
I was going to have to rebuild my NAS with another OS.

With your regedit, I am now able to see my individual folders. Thank
YOU!!!

One issue, I can't log into the NAS share without typing in the
computer name/workgroup that I belong to along with the share
name(example:Computer-Name.MSHOME\username). It is NOT a big problem
and thanks for not making me rebuild my NAS box!!!

--
gpgofast
gpgofast's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21589

http://forums.techarena.in

CGR-APic

Re: Vista Home Premium and Samba

Jimmy, TAHNK YOU SO MUCH. It's been an incredible help. I was looking
around for a hint on this issue since March. THANK !YOU!. I can access
my NAS again. You do not have idea what this means...........!!!!!!!!!
GREAT.

--
CGR-APic
CGR-APic's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26552
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=670498

http://forums.techarena.in

thefinn

Re: Vista Home Premium and Samba

I've tried this and it's not working so far

Any suggestions?

--
thefinn
thefinn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31528
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=670498

http://forums.techarena.in

jog

Re: Vista Home Premium and Samba

After many unsuccessfull attempts with regedit (as that would solve all
my problems!), I managed to connect to my linux-based samba server from
Vista Home Premium by entering the IP address of the server instead of
the name.

I guess I have something non-configured on the server...

So, I just map the drive normally, but instead of
\\servername\sharename
I use \\a.b.c.d\sharename where a.b.c.d is the ipaddress.

Good luck!

--
jog
jog's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=33350