Mapping network shares over ssh tunnel using loopback device fails

jojo-bs

Mapping network shares over ssh tunnel using loopback device fails

Hello vista or networks experts,

I use the Vista Business retail Version on my home PC and a Thinkpad
laptop using XP Pro SP2. Both are connceted to a local network using
192.168.100.X ip adresses which is also connected to a DSL router
acting as a gateway to the internet.

Since I need to map different network shares on different servers in my
office network (which has no VPN access, just a SSH server) to my home
PC I use a workaround on my XP machine.

I installed a virtual network adapter (microsoft loopback device) and
only switched on the TCP/IP4 protocol (I did uncheck but not uninstall
the rest).
I set the IP adresses of this virtual network device manually to
10.10.10.6 and deactivated NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Then I connected via ssh to our ssh-server and set up a ssh tunnel via
port forwarding between server X.X.X.X:139 and my listen interface
10.10.10.6:139.
(x.x.x.x is one of the office servers which offers the network
shares.)

After that it was possible to map my network shares which were actually
on x.x.x.x now to \\10.10.10.6\$share No big thing, I thought.

BTW: I'm using bitvise tunnelier for this port forwarding issue.

That always worked perfect on my XP machine and still does on my
laptop.

If I do exactly the same thing on my Vista machine I can't get
connected.

THE ERROR MESSAGE IS: ERROR CODE: 0X80070035. THE NETWORK PATH WAS NOT
FOUND.

Has anyone any ideas why that happens. I know I should be using VPN but
they won't offer a VPN access in the office.

Please, help me. I really need these shares. And I don't want to switch
back to XP already. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Joern

--
jojo-bs
jojo-bs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21456

http://forums.techarena.in

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Mapping network shares over ssh tunnel using loopback device fails
"jojo-bs" <jojo-bs.2l8sbf@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hello vista or networks experts,
>
> I use the Vista Business retail Version on my home PC and a Thinkpad
> laptop using XP Pro SP2. Both are connceted to a local network using
> 192.168.100.X ip adresses which is also connected to a DSL router
> acting as a gateway to the internet.
>
> Since I need to map different network shares on different servers in my
> office network (which has no VPN access, just a SSH server) to my home
> PC I use a workaround on my XP machine.
>
> I installed a virtual network adapter (microsoft loopback device) and
> only switched on the TCP/IP4 protocol (I did uncheck but not uninstall
> the rest).
> I set the IP adresses of this virtual network device manually to
> 10.10.10.6 and deactivated NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
>
> Then I connected via ssh to our ssh-server and set up a ssh tunnel via
> port forwarding between server X.X.X.X:139 and my listen interface
> 10.10.10.6:139.
> (x.x.x.x is one of the office servers which offers the network
> shares.)
>
> After that it was possible to map my network shares which were actually
> on x.x.x.x now to \\10.10.10.6\$share No big thing, I thought.
>
> BTW: I'm using bitvise tunnelier for this port forwarding issue.
>
> That always worked perfect on my XP machine and still does on my
> laptop.
>
> If I do exactly the same thing on my Vista machine I can't get
> connected.
>
> THE ERROR MESSAGE IS: ERROR CODE: 0X80070035. THE NETWORK PATH WAS NOT
> FOUND.
>
> Has anyone any ideas why that happens. I know I should be using VPN but
> they won't offer a VPN access in the office.
>
> Please, help me. I really need these shares. And I don't want to switch
> back to XP already. Thank you very much.
>
> Best regards,
> Joern
>

> --
> jojo-bs
> jojo-bs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21456
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=670160
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

I never could get that to work with Tunnelier and XP in the past at
all...:-(

With that said have you looked at using WebDrive as an alternative? I have
not tried it myself with Vista but it may work for you...

http://www.webdrive.com/products/webdrive/index.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

jojo-bs

'Sooner Al [MVP Wrote:
> ;2511289']"jojo-bs" <jojo-bs.2l8sbf@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> > jojo-bs's Profile:

> http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21456
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=670160
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in
> >

> I never could get that to work with Tunnelier and XP in the past at
> all...:-(
>
> With that said have you looked at using WebDrive as an alternative? I
> have
> not tried it myself with Vista but it may work for you...
>
> http://www.webdrive.com/products/webdrive/index.html
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

Hi Al,

thanks for your hint. I will try that although it'll probably not fix
my problems.
Using webdrive maps sftp connection to a virtual drive (if I understood
the tool correctly).
Our network shares are project shares, so each share is actually a
virtual user with a virtual password. Users like me only have the right
to open that share and connect to it. I don't have "username" and
password for each share. And they will not give it to me. They (our
system administrators) want to keep full control over who has the right
to connect or not without always changing the password.
So I will only have the opportunity to connect to my office (home)
share. But there are also important project shares that I really need.
Using the ssh Tunnel to our office server and forwarding port 139 to my
local virtual ip's always worked fine. I can map multiple network shares
to local drive letters without having the passwords.
It's not that hard to get that working. The new tunnelier is even
supposed to be vista compliant.
For testing purposes I can explain more detailed (maybe include som
pictures) how to set up such a drive mapping to a share over loopback
on XP machines if desired. And if you or anyone else have that running
on an XP machine, try it on a vista machine. I know a lot of people
that use this way of connecting to a network share. It would be a pitty
it they would not have the chance to upgrade to Vista unless they stop
working from outside the office!
Mmh...., maybe not a bad idea actually.
Maybe I should upgrade my XP laptop to Vista asap! ;-)

BR Joern

--
jojo-bs
jojo-bs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21456
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=670160

http://forums.techarena.in

Ricardo Costa

Re: Mapping network shares over ssh tunnel using loopback device fails
I have the same problem and error message, but I'm actually trying to map
network shares over VPN.

Ricardo Costa