Remote Desktop in Vista is a disaster

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kYW50ZQ==?=

Remote Desktop in Vista is a disaster
I was all ready to drop some serious cash to upgrade to Vista today when I
learned that Remote Desktop feature is now considered some rare luxury only
available on the Business and Ultimate versions. For home users with
multiple computers (are there any families left in America that have only one
PC??), this is a complete disaster.

I think I am a pretty simple and very typical home user - I've got a laptop,
and I've got a desktop and I've been remote desktopping between the two for
eons (we will leave out of this that of course my son also has a desktop and
a laptop, and the hub has a laptop - God forbid it would be nice to be able
to remote desktop with those using Vista (as I do now), but I won't get
greedy). I only HAVE TO remote desktop - in BOTH directions - between my
laptop and my desktop.

Microsoft has decided this is some ultra fancy feature now out of reach for
mere mortals. Right now my XP Pro desktop and humble Media Center laptop
(which was installed on zillions of home computers) can be accessed in both
directions, no sweat. But now, with the new fantastic operating system that
costs major bucks, this feature is being removed!

At first I saw that if I popped for an Ultimate upgrade (an eye-popping
$250), that I would be able to purchase other Vista editions for $50 - AH,
but they certainly won't do remote desktop. So to get the same simple
functionality I have now - just to connect my own two computers - I would
have to drop $500 HUNDRED DOLLARS simply to get the ability to remote desktop
between my my desktop and my laptop. This is absolutely insane, and
guarantees that I would be crazy to even consider upgrading to Vista.

Here's another kicker: My desktop probably can't really hack Vista (too
much older hardware that could pose conflicts, lack of upgradeability) -- so
it would be natural to put the Vista Ultimate on my laptop that is only a
year old, that I do use more than the desktop because of freedom of location.
BUT the machine I need to remote desktop INTO literally dozens of times a
day... is the DESKTOP.

I thought Microsoft had finally gotten into it's head that home computer
users are no longer the one computer simpletons of the olden days - for
example, their marketing of the "Students and Teachers" version of Office
that included licenses for 3 machines at a very reasonable price seemed to
indicate they got what the typical home scenario is these days. But here
they go right back to the dark ages.... asserting that the only people who
need such an exotic feature as remote desktop are fancy business users. As a
further kick in the tush, you can't even just get the Business version for
home because, duh, you then don't get the Media Center features!!! Want the
same functionality that you enjoy now - it's $500 bucks or forget it.

Today I would have happily popped for the Ultimate, and the $50 for an extra
copy... around $300... but now have no intention of ever upgrading to Vista
until it shows up on a new machine I buy in the future. I guess I should
thank Bill for saving me some hard-earned cash.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...orking_sharing
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop in Vista is a disaster
From Microsoft's point of view it seems, at least to me, to be no different
than the existing difference between a XP Professional computer which can
act as a Remote Desktop host versus a XP Home computer that can not act as a
Remote Desktop host.

Like it or not that is the way it is. There are alternatives like Virtual
Network Computing (VNC) which at some point should, or may already, run on
Vista. Personally I always recommend UltraVNC since it includes an
encryption plug-in.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Patrick

Re: Remote Desktop in Vista is a disaster
My Vista Home Premium install must be broken, because Remote Desktop is
fully functional here.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kYW50ZQ==?=

Re: Remote Desktop in Vista is a disaster
I would still counter that the operating system most dominantly pre-installed
on new computers targeted at home users in recent years was Media Center
Edition - not the Home version. And MCE had the ability to act as a Remote
Desktop host (not just as a client), just as XP Pro machines did. Now there
is NO Vista home product that includes this important feature, therefore it
is a step backwards, when Vista claims to be a step forwards. Especially
considering that Vista now offers both a basic home version, and a 'deluxe'
home version, Remote Desktop should have at least been included in the deluxe
version.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> From Microsoft's point of view it seems, at least to me, to be no different
> than the existing difference between a XP Professional computer which can
> act as a Remote Desktop host versus a XP Home computer that can not act as a
> Remote Desktop host.
>
> Like it or not that is the way it is. There are alternatives like Virtual
> Network Computing (VNC) which at some point should, or may already, run on
> Vista. Personally I always recommend UltraVNC since it includes an
> encryption plug-in.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvcnBpdXNjYXQ=?=

RE: Remote Desktop in Vista is a disaster
Ummm.....Remote Desktop is available in Vista Home Premium. I can say with a
level of certaintly as I have Vista Home Premium and I have been using Remote
Desktop.

"Andante" wrote:

> [...]
> example, their marketing of the "Students and Teachers" version of Office
> that included licenses for 3 machines at a very reasonable price seemed to
> indicate they got what the typical home scenario is these days. But here
> they go right back to the dark ages.... asserting that the only people who
> need such an exotic feature as remote desktop are fancy business users. As a
> further kick in the tush, you can't even just get the Business version for
> home because, duh, you then don't get the Media Center features!!! Want the
> same functionality that you enjoy now - it's $500 bucks or forget it.
>
> Today I would have happily popped for the Ultimate, and the $50 for an extra
> copy... around $300... but now have no intention of ever upgrading to Vista
> until it shows up on a new machine I buy in the future. I guess I should
> thank Bill for saving me some hard-earned cash.

Dave R.

"Scorpiuscat" <Scorpiuscat @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ummm.....Remote Desktop is available in Vista Home Premium. I can say
> with a
> level of certaintly as I have Vista Home Premium and I have been using
> Remote
> Desktop.

Vista Home Premium does indeed include the Remote Desktop *Client* (that
is, you can Remote Desktop from Vista Home Premium to another machine)
but it does not include the Remote Desktop *Host* (that is, you cannot
Remote Desktop into a machine running Vista Home Premium).

Regards,

Dave

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvcnBpdXNjYXQ=?=

Re: Remote Desktop in Vista is a disaster
I see, thank you for the clarification.

So can I assume that MS does not offer a Remote Desktop Host download to add
that ability to Vista?

"Dave R." wrote:

> "Scorpiuscat" <Scorpiuscat @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ummm.....Remote Desktop is available in Vista Home Premium. I can say
> > with a
> > level of certaintly as I have Vista Home Premium and I have been using
> > Remote
> > Desktop.
> >

> Vista Home Premium does indeed include the Remote Desktop *Client* (that
> is, you can Remote Desktop from Vista Home Premium to another machine)
> but it does not include the Remote Desktop *Host* (that is, you cannot
> Remote Desktop into a machine running Vista Home Premium).
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

Dave R.

> "Dave R." wrote:
>> "Scorpiuscat" <Scorpiuscat @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Ummm.....Remote Desktop is available in Vista Home Premium. I can
>> > say
>> > with a
>> > level of certaintly as I have Vista Home Premium and I have been
>> > using
>> > Remote
>> > Desktop.
>> >

>> Vista Home Premium does indeed include the Remote Desktop *Client*
>> (that
>> is, you can Remote Desktop from Vista Home Premium to another
>> machine)
>> but it does not include the Remote Desktop *Host* (that is, you
>> cannot
>> Remote Desktop into a machine running Vista Home Premium).
>>

>I see, thank you for the clarification.
>
> So can I assume that MS does not offer a Remote Desktop Host download
> to add
> that ability to Vista?

No, only the Business, Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Vista support
Remote Desktop Host.

Best Regards,

Dave

chillzatl@gmail.com

Re: Remote Desktop in Vista is a disaster

You're not a typical home user. As much as you would like to convince
yourself of that in order to support arguement, you simply aren't. 99%
of the average home users out there have no idea what RDP is, how to
use it and why they would use it. XP home didn't include it because
99% of home users have no need for it. Most homes still only have one
computer and in the cases where they have more than one, I doubt you
would find many who complained about having to get up and walk to the
other computer if they needed something there. Accept that what you
want to do is not typical of home users and buy the version of vista
that does what you need. It is an improvement over XP in nearly every
regard. With that said, you aren't going to miss much (for now) by
staying on XP.

Ontario

On Feb 17, 8:14 am, chillz...@gmail.com wrote:
> You're not a typicalhomeuser. As much as you would like to convince
> yourself of that in order to support arguement, you simply aren't. 99%
> of the averagehomeusers out there have no idea what RDP is, how to
> use it and why they would use it.XPhomedidn't include it because
> 99% ofhomeusers have no need for it. Most homes still only have one
> computer and in the cases where they have more than one, I doubt you
> would find many who complained about having to get up and walk to the
> other computer if they needed something there. Accept that what you
> want to do is not typical ofhomeusers and buy the version ofvista
> that does what you need. It is an improvement overXPin nearly every
> regard. With that said, you aren't going to miss much (for now) by
> staying onXP.

Horsecrap....I have an XP pro laptop. I have an XP pro desktop and
constantly used RD to connect from my convenient kitchen to my
inconvenient upstairs den...
I just bought a brand spanking nw 1000+ Vista Home PREMIUM (emphasis
on PREMIUM). I can no longer connect from my convenient kitchen to my
inconvenient upstairs den.

THIS IS A SEVERE STEP BACKWARDS. Microsoft, reconsider this
decision. Allow a free download of RD for Vista Home PREMIUM
(emphasis on PREMIUM) users.

This is indeed a step backwards.

I agree 100% with Andante..

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com.../en-us/default...