Odd network name/behavior for Vista machine

ncfoster@gmail.com

Odd network name/behavior for Vista machine
Hi all,

On my copy of Vista Ultimate, I have a rather bizarre problem. I
don't think it popped up in the early betas, but probably around RC2
(not 100% sure). The problem is that the network name for my machine
does not show up as the machine name designated on the computer.
Rather, it shows up as LH-PU4T55PI8082. This is the only Vista
machine on the network. There are two XP machines, a Win2k machine,
and a Linux gateway box.

I have another problem on my laptop, which is running XP. I only
mention it here, because it used to work, and I think the problem
appeared at the same time as the name issue. The problem is that I
cannot browse the local network from the laptop. I can connect
directly to a share on the Vista machine.

So, if anyone has any ideas as to what is causing these problems,
especially the first, I'd much appreciate it.

Nathan

=?Utf-8?B?REFDVGVjaA==?=

RE: Odd network name/behavior for Vista machine

"ncfoster@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On my copy of Vista Ultimate, I have a rather bizarre problem. I
> don't think it popped up in the early betas, but probably around RC2
> (not 100% sure). The problem is that the network name for my machine
> does not show up as the machine name designated on the computer.
> Rather, it shows up as LH-PU4T55PI8082. This is the only Vista
> machine on the network. There are two XP machines, a Win2k machine,
> and a Linux gateway box.
>
> I have another problem on my laptop, which is running XP. I only
> mention it here, because it used to work, and I think the problem
> appeared at the same time as the name issue. The problem is that I
> cannot browse the local network from the laptop. I can connect
> directly to a share on the Vista machine.
>
> So, if anyone has any ideas as to what is causing these problems,
> especially the first, I'd much appreciate it.
>
> Nathan

Make sure the workgroup is the same on both machines. By default XP is set
to MSHOME and I think Vista is WORKGROUP.
Also check to make sure services that are required for networking are
started on both machines.
As far as the name is concerned that is strange. Did you verify the name
under the Advanced System Settings when you go to the System Properties?

ncfoster@gmail.com

Re: Odd network name/behavior for Vista machine
My workgroup has always had a custom name, which is set properly on
all machines. When you say to make sure "services that are required
for networking are started", can you be more specific?

I am beginning to think this might have to do with a patch I applied
to the XP machines, which was supposed to let them be seen properly on
the Vista network map. I think it was about then that the problem
started. Of course, knowing me, I probably deleted the uninstallers
already.

Nathan